• Venetian blinds repair

From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 5 00:55:26 2023
    I've lived with venetian blinds that don't fully drop for years.

Problem is I made the mistake of adjusting the length of all the cords at the ends, then had to retie pieces on so they were long enough to lower the blinds, then found the knots wouldn't run through lowering.

So there I was, with blinds that didn't fully lower the last couple inches.

What to do, what to do.
    1. Could take the blinds apart, adding new cord across the whole thing.
    2. Could raise the blinds to get enough slack, then add a few inches of cord, knotted to the slack at the bottom. But that would again raise the problem of knots hanging up in the blinds holes.
    3. Finally, I came upon the solution by searching the internet.

What they say you can do is burn the joining cord ends together, because the material melts and you can quickly press it together. Going to try that, and possibly add a coating of clear Gorilla glue that will infuse and bend after a quick join.

So there; that's an easy solution for my problem of blinds repair, if it works. Better than taking the blinds apart and adding new cord @ $8.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bob F@21:1/5 to Dim Witte on Sun Mar 5 10:32:55 2023
    On 3/5/2023 12:55 AM, Dim Witte wrote:

Problem is I made the mistake of adjusting the length of all the cords at the ends, then had to retie pieces on so they were long enough to lower the blinds, then found the knots wouldn't run through lowering.

What to do, what to do.
    2. Could raise the blinds to get enough slack, then add a few inches of cord, knotted to the slack at the bottom. But that would again raise the problem of knots hanging up in the blinds holes.

What they say you can do is burn the joining cord ends together, because the material melts and you can quickly press it together. Going to try that, and possibly add a coating of clear Gorilla glue that will infuse and bend after a quick join.

So there; that's an easy solution for my problem of blinds repair, if it works. Better than taking the blinds apart and adding new cord @ $8.

A lifetime supply of new cord probably costs less than that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Bob F on Mon Mar 6 02:10:21 2023
    On Sunday, March 5, 2023 at 9:33:00 AM UTC-9, Bob F wrote:
    On 3/5/2023 12:55 AM, Dim Witte wrote:

What to do, what to do.

A lifetime supply of new cord probably costs less than that.

No, because who needs a lifetime supply of blinds cord?, and anyway this is supposed to be about Frugal Living. Also, I need more to do to keep active. I'm into getting rid of stuff, not collecting it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05