• =?UTF-8?Q?Semi=2DOT=3A_=22Quiz=3A_What=E2=80=99s_the_Best_Way_to_Shrink

From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Tue Feb 7 09:51:15 2023
    From December, in the New York Times.

https://archive.is/1xu3n

(Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")

There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for
    little relatives.

What was interesting was that while the author mentioned, BEFORE the quiz, how other online lists of recommendations might include not having children, that wasn't included in the quiz.

(My guess is that while he certainly wanted to make everyone aware of that choice, neither he or anyone else wants to promote it too loudly for fear of backlash - especially from those poor young people for whom parenthood is the only accomplishment in
    their lives. But then, why not phrase it as "have fewer children," when so many kids are still unplanned anyway?)

Aside from that, at the end, you DO get to see the actions that are most recommended by scientists. Though I would think that another somewhat important action - not in the quiz - would be "search for non-plastic packaging when buying goods." The first
    rule, after all, has always been "reduce," not "recycle."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Lenona on Tue Feb 7 13:32:27 2023
    On Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 8:51:18 AM UTC-9, Lenona wrote:
    From December, in the New York Times.

https://archive.is/1xu3n

(Unfortunately, you can't see the "share of Americans who got it right.")

There are 12 questions. I'm doing about 8 of the recommendations already. Example: "buying fewer things." The only thing I could buy less of - maybe - is food. The few other things I buy are necessities, aside from maybe the second-hand books I buy for
    little relatives.

What was interesting was that while the author mentioned, BEFORE the quiz, how other online lists of recommendations might include not having children, that wasn't included in the quiz.

(My guess is that while he certainly wanted to make everyone aware of that choice, neither he or anyone else wants to promote it too loudly for fear of backlash - especially from those poor young people for whom parenthood is the only accomplishment in
    their lives. But then, why not phrase it as "have fewer children," when so many kids are still unplanned anyway?)

Aside from that, at the end, you DO get to see the actions that are most recommended by scientists. Though I would think that another somewhat important action - not in the quiz - would be "search for non-plastic packaging when buying goods." The first
    rule, after all, has always been "reduce," not "recycle."

The logging industry no doubt contributes to the carbon footprint, because: "Trees and other plants absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as they grow. This is converted into carbon and stored in the plant's branches, leaves, trunks, roots and in
    the soil. When forests are cleared or burnt, stored carbon is released into the atmosphere, mainly as carbon dioxide."

And I would add that U.S. government allows paper mills to generate the paper used in advertising that goes into all the 4th class mail that invades our mail, addressed to "resident." This feeds the U.S. Mail service, which collects fees for doing this.
    Who gave permission for Congress to do this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lenona@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 10 11:49:37 2023
    From Ross Presser, elsewhere:

"For what it's worth, here are the questions, the correct answer, and the share of Americans who got it right."

Buying fewer things Small 50%
    Lowering the room temperature Small 48%
    Installing heat pumps Moderate 39%
    Using energy-efficient appliances Small 35%
    Car-pooling Small 34%
    Recycling Small 33%
    Eating a vegetarian diet Moderate 26%
    Living car-free Large 24%
    Eating organic food Moderate 23%
    Using renewable electricity Large 22%
    Avoiding a long flight Large 13%
    Eating a vegan diet Large 6%

It's interesting to see that the more important a certain action is, the less likely Americans are to recognize it as such.

But I'm pretty sure I got at least half of the answers right. (I didn't write down my guesses.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Lenona on Sat Feb 11 23:17:10 2023
    On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 10:49:40 AM UTC-9, Lenona wrote:
    From Ross Presser, elsewhere:

"For what it's worth, here are the questions, the correct answer, and the share of Americans who got it right."

Buying fewer things Small 50%
    Yes, and getting rid of all that you don't use, give stuff away.
    Lowering the room temperature Small 48%
    Can manage clothes to adapt in this.
    Installing heat pumps Moderate 39%
    Using energy-efficient appliances Small 35%
    Car-pooling Small 34%
    Notice that up to 5 can share a taxi at same cost.
    Recycling Small 33%
    Eating a vegetarian diet Moderate 26%
    This is using more carbs and not burning fats.
    Living car-free Large 24%
    Decide if paying for maintenance, insurance, gas, and parts is worth it.
    Eating organic food Moderate 23%
    Less expensive is canned food you microwave?
    Using renewable electricity Large 22%
    Avoiding a long flight Large 13%
    Eating a vegan diet Large 6%

It's interesting to see that the more important a certain action is, the less likely Americans are to recognize it as such.

But I'm pretty sure I got at least half of the answers right. (I didn't write down my guesses.)

All this really about being a vegan?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Beaver Fever@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 13 10:41:33 2023
    die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dim Witte@21:1/5 to Beaver Fever on Sat Feb 18 10:06:01 2023
    On Monday, February 13, 2023 at 9:41:35 AM UTC-9, Beaver Fever wrote:
    die

Okay, die. Going to suggest that by "way" you should consider the natural way, which is a matter of "going with the flow." Meaning that instead of "best" you accept the "way" nature navigates for you, which could be accident, old age, disease, war,
    victimization, etc.. I like the natural way, which could be a cosmic passing of chi flowing through everything, and you be going with the flow in a relaxed manner, where you center yourself, harmonize body, mind and spirit, and coordinate with
    everything in the 10 thousand things around you.

This is similar to having a religion you identify with, but just cosmic philosophy. Religion is good because you can meditate with it, too, or just sit in church by your self.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05