• Re: creating the numbering sequence 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 and so

From LOGAN DEMPSEY (33)@21:1/5 to Stefan Blom on Fri Oct 14 08:03:00 2022
    On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 2:31:15 PM UTC-4, Stefan Blom wrote:
    SEQ fields create sequential (that is, single-level) numbering. Look at Bruce's example in this thread:
    1.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
    1.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }
    1.3 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }

2.1 { SEQ x }.{ SEQ y \r 1 }
    2.2 { SEQ x \c }.{ SEQ y }
    "x" and "y" are called identifiers; these give names to the different lists. To put it differently, SEQ fields using the same identifier belongs to the same sequential list.

As you add an additional field using the same identifier, the numbering increments by 1, unless you add a switch. You can use \r to set a particular starting number. For example: { SEQ x \r 100 } produces the number 100. If it is followed by { SEQ x } that field would display 101.

The \c switch instructs Word to repeat the most current number. In the example above it is being used to keep the first number fixed as the next level number (the one after the period) increments.

Remember that you can type in field codes, but you can't enter the braces from the keyboard. Instead, you must add each pair of braces by pressing Ctrl+F9.

--
    Stefan Blom
    Microsoft Word MVP

<bonnie....@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e275b8e4-8d1c-4164...@googlegroups.com...
    Hi Bruce
    I would very much appreciate a reply to this message. I would like to
    know exactly what the above SEQ codes for 1.1, etc. is made up of. I know most of it but I do not know what the "x" does in the first SEQ field, nor what the "y" after the second SEQ field does or what the "\c" switch does. Can you please break it down and send it to me as I have been looking how to do this for ages - thanks.
    Bonnie

--
    ***** Email confidentiality notice ***** 
    This email was sent from a
    student email account managed by The Villages Charter School.  The contents of this email are governed by the laws of the State of Florida and the
    board policies of The Villages Charter School.  This email service is intended for school uses only.  Any email from this system that is not for school / classroom purposes is in violation of the Acceptable Use of Technology Resources.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)