• Does .mp4 - or any other video format - have a text field (comment,

From R.Wieser@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 10 15:53:19 2018
    XPost: alt.windows7.general, microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

John,

_is_ there something intrinsic to the format?

The specs to the format seem to indicate there is, and I found something to manipulate it here :

https://community.wd.com/t/how-do-you-edit-meta-data-for-mkv-and-mp4-files/169392

And by the way, if you ever wondered what the rightclick -> "properties" -> "summary" does: it saves, on an NTFS filesystem, the entered info into a so-called "alternate data stream", which is attached/linked to your file
    but, on XP, not visible when browsing files on (I've been biten by it once, which is why I know. :-) ).

AFAIK those ADSes will be copied as long as you do it to another NTFS filesystem (not a 100% sure about it though). No idea how a nowerdays file-packer (7z ?) responds to it. It depends on which one you use and how
    old it is I guess.

Personally I would not depend on those ADSes, but wanted to name them regardless. - both as an option, but also as a warning :-)

Regards,
    Rudy Wieser

P.s.
    Had to remove "uk.tech.broadcast". Its not carried by my usenet server.
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim Slattery@21:1/5 to R.Wieser on Tue Jul 10 10:47:06 2018

"R.Wieser" <address@not.available> wrote:

John,

_is_ there something intrinsic to the format?

The specs to the format seem to indicate there is, and I found something to >manipulate it here :

https://community.wd.com/t/how-do-you-edit-meta-data-for-mkv-and-mp4-files/169392

And by the way, if you ever wondered what the rightclick -> "properties" -> >"summary" does: it saves, on an NTFS filesystem, the entered info into a >so-called "alternate data stream", which is attached/linked to your file
    but, on XP, not visible when browsing files on (I've been biten by it once, >which is why I know. :-) ).

AFAIK those ADSes will be copied as long as you do it to another NTFS >filesystem (not a 100% sure about it though).

I'm quite sure, NTFS to NTFS copies include all the ADSs. Since other
    file systems don't have NDSs, they're lost when copying to FAT, CDS or
    any other non-NFTS system.

No idea how a nowerdays
    file-packer (7z ?) responds to it. It depends on which one you use and how >old it is I guess.

Hmm...I don't know for sure, but I'd be rather surprised if any of
    those handled ADSs.

--
    Tim Slattery
    tim <at> risingdove <dot> com
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R.Wieser@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 10 18:44:01 2018

Tim,

AFAIK those ADSes will be copied as long as you do it to another
    NTFS filesystem (not a 100% sure about it though).

I'm quite sure, NTFS to NTFS copies include all the ADSs.

I mentioned it, as the XP GUI support for ADSes is rather .. lacking (the filebrowser does not not have any capabilities to show the presence of such streams for a file, let alone a way to view their contents). In the same
    feat I could imagine that (some) OS-level copying functions would not (even) support it.

Hmm...I don't know for sure, but I'd be rather surprised if
    any of those handled ADSs.

Actually, I wouldn't. :-)

Regards,
    Rudy Wieser
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05