• A file called Vera.xls

From Miguel Angel Naranjo Mora@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 16 12:59:39 2021
    El sábado, 10 de octubre de 1998 a la(s) 02:00:00 UTC-5, John Green escribió:
    I have come across Vera.xls recently at a client site. It is a nuisance virus
    which replicates itself in the XLSTART directory - by copying its code module,
    called "Locas", into open files when they are activated and saving the resulting file as Vera.xls in the XLSTART directory. It loads as a hidden file
    and you can use Window, Unhide to view it. It also hides its module, which you
    can view with Format, Sheet, Unhide. It is designed for Excel 5/95 and I don't
    think it can work under Excel 97 - but have not tested it.
    You should remove it from the XLSTART directory and also examine any files recently used - looking for a hidden code module called "Locas" and deleting it. Make sure you hold down the shift key when opening files, so the Locas Auto_Open routine does not run. It sets up an Application.OnSheetActivate routine which does its nasty work when a worksheet is activated,
    HTH,

John Green - Excel MVP
    Sydney
    Australia
    In article <uE3BGw3...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>, Scott Bendure
    wrote:
    Subject: A file called Vera.xls
    Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 07:56:40 -0400
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.misc

For some reason, every time I start Excel from VB and load a file, some strange file named Vera.xls loads with it automatically. I delete it and it returns.

Thanks for any ideas.

Dear all,

Could you please teach me how I can remove the "Locas" module from an Excel file?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Miguel Angel Naranjo Mora@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 16 13:00:29 2021
    El sábado, 10 de octubre de 1998 a la(s) 02:00:00 UTC-5, John Green escribió:
    I have come across Vera.xls recently at a client site. It is a nuisance virus
    which replicates itself in the XLSTART directory - by copying its code module,
    called "Locas", into open files when they are activated and saving the resulting file as Vera.xls in the XLSTART directory. It loads as a hidden file
    and you can use Window, Unhide to view it. It also hides its module, which you
    can view with Format, Sheet, Unhide. It is designed for Excel 5/95 and I don't
    think it can work under Excel 97 - but have not tested it.
    You should remove it from the XLSTART directory and also examine any files recently used - looking for a hidden code module called "Locas" and deleting it. Make sure you hold down the shift key when opening files, so the Locas Auto_Open routine does not run. It sets up an Application.OnSheetActivate routine which does its nasty work when a worksheet is activated,
    HTH,

John Green - Excel MVP
    Sydney
    Australia
    In article <uE3BGw3...@uppssnewspub05.moswest.msn.net>, Scott Bendure
    wrote:
    Subject: A file called Vera.xls
    Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 07:56:40 -0400
    Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.misc

For some reason, every time I start Excel from VB and load a file, some strange file named Vera.xls loads with it automatically. I delete it and it returns.

Thanks for any ideas.

Could you please teach us how to delete the module?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)