• Translation Error While Importing Contacts (.csv file)

From amarusyk@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Rick on Sat Nov 30 10:25:12 2019
    **** 2019 *** It's weird how this hasn't been figured out over time and communicated clearly. I have Office 2016.... I wanted to import Google contacts via a .csv file (instructions are everywhere for this) but I also received the import error many
    others have received.

Open the EXPORTED .CSV file - CUT the TITLE FIELD and then pasted (INSERTED) it in Column "A" location so it's the first one instead of FIRST NAME. I then saved the file and closed the Excel sheet. I then re-imported the file and it imported
    seamlessly.

Good Luck everyone.

On Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 1:09:13 PM UTC-6, Rick wrote:
    Please forgive me if this has been covered before, I could not find any previous posts on the subject.
    I am trying to Import contacts to a new Contact Folder from Excel. I have setup the worksheet, included a row with column names, and saved it as a .csv file. I saved it to my C:\ directory to remove any possibility of network problems.
    I then use the Import a File Wizard in Outlook, select to import a .csv, pick my file (named BusContacts.csv), and select the new contacts folder I created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I receive this error: ---------------
    Translation Error
    A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.
    Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another program.
    OK.
    ---------------
    I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed Excel too!).
    I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on this page (http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=24656).

It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather than the data file itself.
    Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. ~ Rick....

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update, but would just hang. I deleted that contact folder and created a new one for the above. Not sure if any of that matters, but I'm trying to be thorough. ~ Rick...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J.S.@21:1/5 to amar...@gmail.com on Wed Feb 12 12:15:22 2020
    On Saturday, November 30, 2019 at 11:25:14 AM UTC-7, amar...@gmail.com wrote:
    **** 2019 *** It's weird how this hasn't been figured out over time and communicated clearly. I have Office 2016.... I wanted to import Google contacts via a .csv file (instructions are everywhere for this) but I also received the import error many
    others have received.

Open the EXPORTED .CSV file - CUT the TITLE FIELD and then pasted (INSERTED) it in Column "A" location so it's the first one instead of FIRST NAME. I then saved the file and closed the Excel sheet. I then re-imported the file and it imported
    seamlessly.

Good Luck everyone.

On Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 1:09:13 PM UTC-6, Rick wrote:
    Please forgive me if this has been covered before, I could not find any previous posts on the subject.
    I am trying to Import contacts to a new Contact Folder from Excel. I have setup the worksheet, included a row with column names, and saved it as a .csv file. I saved it to my C:\ directory to remove any possibility of network problems.
    I then use the Import a File Wizard in Outlook, select to import a .csv, pick my file (named BusContacts.csv), and select the new contacts folder I created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I receive this error: ---------------
    Translation Error
    A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator
    while initializing a translator to build a field map.
    Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv".
    Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it,
    and that it is not open in another program.
    OK.
    ---------------
    I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed
    Excel too!).
    I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on this page
    (http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=24656).

It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather than the
    data file itself.
    Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. ~ Rick....

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to
    import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update,
    but would just hang. I deleted that contact folder and created a new one for
    the above. Not sure if any of that matters, but I'm trying to be thorough. ~
    Rick...

******** 2020 ********* amar...@gmail.com..... THANK YOU!! Your recommendations to move the TITLE FIELD worked when having trouble importing an exported gmail contacts CSV file into outlook.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmrex77@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Rick on Sun May 24 13:05:13 2020
    On Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 3:09:13 PM UTC-4, Rick wrote:
    I am trying to Import contacts to a new Contact Folder from Excel. I have setup the worksheet, included a row with column names, and saved it as a
    .csv file. I saved it to my C:\ directory to remove any possibility of network problems.
    I then use the Import a File Wizard in Outlook, select to import a .csv,
    pick my file (named BusContacts.csv), and select the new contacts folder I created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I receive this error: ---------------
    Translation Error
    A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.
    Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another program.
    OK.
    ---------------
    I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not
    open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed Excel too!).
    I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on this page (http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=24656).

It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather than the data file itself.

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress
    and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update, but would just hang. I deleted that contact folder and created a new one for the above. Not sure if any of that matters, but I'm trying to be thorough. ~ Rick...

Here is an easy way to fix it. Before inporting the csv file to where ever you want. try to open the CSV file and let it open in Excel.
    Once opened go to file save as. and save again with another name but save again as csv from excel.

example original file was named File.csv
    new file is going to be file2.csv

no try to inport file into outlook and you will see that is going to work just fine.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zemene Tewodros@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 8 01:17:25 2020
    On Sunday, May 21, 2006 at 7:46:55 PM UTC+3, Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
    Try this instead. Create a couple of contacts in Outlook and export them to excel. Compare your file with the one Outlook created and massage yours accordingly. Remember, Outlook will not import or export custom fields natively. That requires third party software or code you would need to
    write.
    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]
    Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All
    unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without
    reading.
    After furious head scratching, Rick asked:
    | Please forgive me if this has been covered before, I could not find
    | any previous posts on the subject.
    | I am trying to Import contacts to a new Contact Folder from Excel. I
    | have setup the worksheet, included a row with column names, and saved
    | it as a .csv file. I saved it to my C:\ directory to remove any
    | possibility of network problems.
    | I then use the Import a File Wizard in Outlook, select to import a
    | .csv, pick my file (named BusContacts.csv), and select the new
    | contacts folder I created "Business Contacts". When I hit next I
    | receive this error: ---------------
    | Translation Error
    | A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values (Windows)
    | translator while initializing a translator to build a field map.
    | Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file
    | "C:\BusContacts.csv". Verify that you have the correct file, that you
    | have permission to open it, and that it is not open in another
    | program.
    | OK.
    | ---------------
    | I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is
    | not open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel,
    | but I closed Excel too!).
    | I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and
    | Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on
    | this page
    | (http://www.pctoday.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=24656).
    |
    | It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather
    | than the data file itself.
    | Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank
    | you in advance. ~ Rick....
    |
    | PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I
    | attempted to import this data as an Excel file. Although it would
    | allow me to progress and assign fields and all that, it would begin
    | the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to
    | the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and
    | crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had
    | many blank entries and was attempting to Update, but would just hang.
    | I deleted that contact folder and created a new one for the above.
    | Not sure if any of that matters, but I'm trying to be thorough. ~
    | Rick... it worked. thank you so much!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joseph L. Ortiz@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 13 08:29:35 2020
    Hi.

I tried all the options said above and none worked.

I found Excel has an MDOS csv file format. I saved it in that format and that worked for me.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Joe Ortiz
    www.linkedin.com/in/josephlortiz

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jackes Burger@21:1/5 to Joseph L. Ortiz on Tue May 18 06:30:44 2021
    On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 6:29:37 PM UTC+2, Joseph L. Ortiz wrote:
    Hi.

I found Excel has an MDOS csv file format. I saved it in that format and that worked for me.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Joe Ortiz
    Joseph, Thank you. Your fix worked for me

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J@21:1/5 to Joseph L. Ortiz on Mon Feb 7 07:18:14 2022
    On Friday, November 13, 2020 at 11:29:37 AM UTC-5, Joseph L. Ortiz wrote:
    Hi.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Joe Ortiz
    Thank you Joe!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Omar Romero@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 12:38:38 2022
    I exported from Outlook and found the issue was that the gmail contacts file export did not have the "Title" field as the first column in the file.

Once i added that column blank it proceeded with the import successfully.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jani Kannisto@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 02:07:16 2022
    maanantai 4. heinäkuuta 2022 klo 22.38.38 UTC+3 Omar Romero kirjoitti:
    I exported from Outlook and found the issue was that the gmail contacts file export did not have the "Title" field as the first column in the file.

Once i added that column blank it proceeded with the import successfully.

Hi
    I had this very same problem and what i did was....

Exported Google contacts as Outlook format
    Opened Outlook online (webmail)
    Imported without any alterations to Outlook Online contacts

After that i checked Outlook app and every contact was synced as it should.

Hope this helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Simon Reynolds@21:1/5 to Joseph L. Ortiz on Thu Dec 15 14:11:45 2022
    On Saturday, November 14, 2020 at 3:29:37 AM UTC+11, Joseph L. Ortiz wrote:
    Hi.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Joe Ortiz

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From harsh bagri@21:1/5 to jmr...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 6 23:02:33 2023
    On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 01:35:16 UTC+5:30, jmr...@gmail.com wrote:
    Translation Error
    OK.
    ---------------
    I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed Excel too!).
    I ran the Office 2003 setup again and setup to have the Importers and Exporters "Run from My Computer" - per the instructions I found on this page

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update,
    Rick...
    Here is an easy way to fix it. Before inporting the csv file to where ever you want. try to open the CSV file and let it open in Excel.
    Once opened go to file save as. and save again with another name but save again as csv from excel.

no try to inport file into outlook and you will see that is going to work just fine.

Really not sure how, but that actually worked!
    Tried on 07-04-2023.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Amy Charmatz@21:1/5 to jmr...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 19 07:18:50 2023
    On Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 1:05:16 PM UTC-7, jmr...@gmail.com wrote:
    Translation Error
    Outlook was unable to retrieve the data from the file "C:\BusContacts.csv".
    Verify that you have the correct file, that you have permission to open it,
    and that it is not open in another program.
    OK.
    ---------------
    I do have the correct file, I should have full permissions and it is not open in another program (not only is the file closed in Excel, but I closed
    Excel too!).

It seems to me that this a problem with the .csv translator rather than the
    data file itself.

PS - Before actually *reading* how to use the import/export, I attempted to
    import this data as an Excel file. Although it would allow me to progress and assign fields and all that, it would begin the import (progress bar appears and moves along) and when it got to the very end (progress bar 99% full) it would hang up Outlook and crash it. When I would restart Outlook, that new contact folder had many blank entries and was attempting to Update,
    Rick...

Thx for this tip worked fine!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05