• Mysterious border around inserted image?

From wever@axini.com@21:1/5 to Mary Nossett on Mon Oct 22 00:38:27 2018
    On Friday, August 26, 2011 at 4:04:17 PM UTC+2, Mary Nossett wrote:
    I have had the same problem but I am here to tell you there is a simple solution, particularly if you are using a picture! Click on the inserted file - the "Format" tab above will now show "Picture Tools". Click on the "Format" tab. You will see
    across the middle of the top of the page "Picture Styles". Choose the sixth (6) picture and this will remove the lines. Save in the new format and you are good to go!

+1 and kudos!
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From denhamrherft@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mary Nossett on Tue Jul 16 05:32:07 2019
    On Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 12:04:17 AM UTC+10, Mary Nossett wrote:
    I have had the same problem but I am here to tell you there is a simple solution, particularly if you are using a picture! Click on the inserted file - the "Format" tab above will now show "Picture Tools". Click on the "Format" tab. You will see
    across the middle of the top of the page "Picture Styles". Choose the sixth (6) picture and this will remove the lines. Save in the new format and you are good to go!

On Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:20 PM Carol wrote:

Word 2007:
    When a jpeg is inserted in a docx file, it looks fine. When the document is
    closed and then re-opened, there is a black line at the top and the left side
    of the image that cannot be removed. I tried right-clicking the image to bring up borders & shading, there were no lines selected, no color, no fill etc.

When the same jpeg is inserted in a new Word document, and saved in Word 97 - 2003 format, it looks fine. When the document is closed and re-opened, the
    image looks fine - no borders.

Obviously I can save this particular document in the older format to work around this issue, but does anyone know if there is a way to fix it in the docx document?

On Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:54 PM igotav8 wrote:

I have the exact same problem, please help.

"Carol" wrote:

On Monday, February 15, 2010 8:10 AM lamaslany wrote:

Just wanted to confirm that I am also seeing the black line at the top and
    left sides of the inserted .jpg image in a .docx document.

Luke

On Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:09 PM Libke Susan wrote:

I'm having the same problem. What is the fix?

On Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:58 PM StevenLeuck wrote:

I am also getting this strange border on two sides. Did any of you on this
    thread ever get an answer from anyone on this? I cannot seem to find an
    answer anywhere else.
    --
    Steven Leuck, CSI, CDT
    Owner
    Contractors Electric, LLC
    Eugene, OR

"Libke Susan" wrote:

On Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:30 PM Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

On the Picture Tools Format section of the Ribbon, click on the Compress
    Pictures item in the Adjust section of the Ribbon and click on the Options
    button and uncheck the box for "Automatically perform basic compression on
    save"

Note, if you have already saved the document with this box checked, I am not
    sure if it will undo the compression.

Another method that has been suggested to eliminate these lines is to save
    the document in Word 97-2003 format.

--
    Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my >>>>>> services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

On Monday, June 28, 2010 1:42 PM Amy Rehmeyer wrote:

I don't have any compression options checked and suddenly see this border. Why else would this appear? Saving to previous version isn't solving it either. JPGs look fine in Windows Picture Viewer and even the browser. When I copy/paste or
    Insert an image into any Office 10 app, I suddenly see the border.

I need a fix and fast - help please!

Amy

On Friday, July 09, 2010 9:57 AM Super Egg Head wrote:

Go to 'Format Picture', 3-D Format.

Change the 'Contour' color to white, and set size to 1pt.

Voila...

Really annoying bug, and not the standard you would typically expect from MS.

On Friday, September 17, 2010 5:15 AM Ric Francis wrote:

This didn't *quite* work for me - I get a faint grey line instead of a black one - but I found something that did. The issue seems to be with compression.

To switch off automatic image compression:

1) Go to File > Options > Advanced

2) Scroll to find Image Size and Quality

3) In the select list, choose "All New Documents"

4) Tick the "Do not compress images in file" box

5) Click OK

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:52 AM JT wrote:

I've had the same issue when inserting a jpeg into a .pptx file created in PowerPoint 2010 by someone else.

I get a grey border on the top and left sides of the image too. >>>>>>>>>>

The Contour solution didn't change anything for me and compression was already turned off.

My workaround was to save the jpeg as a png file and when I inserted the png there was no border.

On Friday, March 04, 2011 3:12 AM Terry Litt wrote:

I am using Windows 7 and word 2007.

If you select the picture that is causing the problem, "Picture Tools" will appear above the format tab on the access bar.

Click on that and in the "Picture Styles" box, you will see several picture icons.

There are 28 choices but you might only see a couple depending on how wide your window is.

Choose the sixth one from the left, (or arrow down until you reach the sixth one), click on it and it should fix the problem.

On Saturday, August 27, 2011 at 12:04:17 AM UTC+10, Mary Nossett wrote:

On Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:20 PM Carol wrote:

Word 2007:
    When a jpeg is inserted in a docx file, it looks fine. When the document is
    closed and then re-opened, there is a black line at the top and the left side
    of the image that cannot be removed. I tried right-clicking the image to bring up borders & shading, there were no lines selected, no color, no fill etc.

When the same jpeg is inserted in a new Word document, and saved in Word 97 - 2003 format, it looks fine. When the document is closed and re-opened, the
    image looks fine - no borders.

Obviously I can save this particular document in the older format to work around this issue, but does anyone know if there is a way to fix it in the docx document?

On Wednesday, January 13, 2010 12:54 PM igotav8 wrote:

I have the exact same problem, please help.

"Carol" wrote:

On Monday, February 15, 2010 8:10 AM lamaslany wrote:

Just wanted to confirm that I am also seeing the black line at the top and
    left sides of the inserted .jpg image in a .docx document.

Luke

On Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:09 PM Libke Susan wrote:

I'm having the same problem. What is the fix?

On Thursday, May 27, 2010 3:58 PM StevenLeuck wrote:

I am also getting this strange border on two sides. Did any of you on this
    thread ever get an answer from anyone on this? I cannot seem to find an
    answer anywhere else.
    --
    Steven Leuck, CSI, CDT
    Owner
    Contractors Electric, LLC
    Eugene, OR

"Libke Susan" wrote:

On Thursday, May 27, 2010 5:30 PM Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

On the Picture Tools Format section of the Ribbon, click on the Compress
    Pictures item in the Adjust section of the Ribbon and click on the Options
    button and uncheck the box for "Automatically perform basic compression on
    save"

Note, if you have already saved the document with this box checked, I am not
    sure if it will undo the compression.

Another method that has been suggested to eliminate these lines is to save
    the document in Word 97-2003 format.

--
    Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my >>>>>> services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com

On Monday, June 28, 2010 1:42 PM Amy Rehmeyer wrote:

I don't have any compression options checked and suddenly see this border. Why else would this appear? Saving to previous version isn't solving it either. JPGs look fine in Windows Picture Viewer and even the browser. When I copy/paste or
    Insert an image into any Office 10 app, I suddenly see the border.

I need a fix and fast - help please!

Amy

On Friday, July 09, 2010 9:57 AM Super Egg Head wrote:

Go to 'Format Picture', 3-D Format.

Change the 'Contour' color to white, and set size to 1pt.

Voila...

Really annoying bug, and not the standard you would typically expect from MS.

On Friday, September 17, 2010 5:15 AM Ric Francis wrote:

This didn't *quite* work for me - I get a faint grey line instead of a black one - but I found something that did. The issue seems to be with compression.

To switch off automatic image compression:

1) Go to File > Options > Advanced

2) Scroll to find Image Size and Quality

3) In the select list, choose "All New Documents"

4) Tick the "Do not compress images in file" box

5) Click OK

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:52 AM JT wrote:

I've had the same issue when inserting a jpeg into a .pptx file created in PowerPoint 2010 by someone else.

I get a grey border on the top and left sides of the image too. >>>>>>>>>>

The Contour solution didn't change anything for me and compression was already turned off.

My workaround was to save the jpeg as a png file and when I inserted the png there was no border.

On Friday, March 04, 2011 3:12 AM Terry Litt wrote:

I am using Windows 7 and word 2007.

If you select the picture that is causing the problem, "Picture Tools" will appear above the format tab on the access bar.

Click on that and in the "Picture Styles" box, you will see several picture icons.

There are 28 choices but you might only see a couple depending on how wide your window is.

Choose the sixth one from the left, (or arrow down until you reach the sixth one), click on it and it should fix the problem.

MARY YOU ARE A FREEKIN GENIUS!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, IT HAS BEEN BUGGING ME FOR HALF AN HOUR, WHAT A SAVIOUR, CHEERS!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From r.h.bisby@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Carol on Mon Feb 10 02:57:46 2020
    On Friday, January 8, 2010 at 12:20:02 AM UTC, Carol wrote:
    Word 2007:
    When a jpeg is inserted in a docx file, it looks fine. When the document is closed and then re-opened, there is a black line at the top and the left side of the image that cannot be removed. I tried right-clicking the image to bring up borders & shading, there were no lines selected, no color, no fill etc.

When the same jpeg is inserted in a new Word document, and saved in Word 97
    - 2003 format, it looks fine. When the document is closed and re-opened, the image looks fine - no borders.

This is an irritating feature of jpg's that happens also in Publisher. I find the easiest fix is just to insert a text box over the offending line and then fill it with white (or whatever background colour is being used).
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From r.h.bisby@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Carol on Mon Feb 10 02:55:36 2020
    On Friday, January 8, 2010 at 12:20:02 AM UTC, Carol wrote:
    Word 2007:
    When a jpeg is inserted in a docx file, it looks fine. When the document is closed and then re-opened, there is a black line at the top and the left side of the image that cannot be removed. I tried right-clicking the image to bring up borders & shading, there were no lines selected, no color, no fill etc.

When the same jpeg is inserted in a new Word document, and saved in Word 97
    - 2003 format, it looks fine. When the document is closed and re-opened, the image looks fine - no borders.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05