• Hierarchy chart lines aren't straight

From macrecats@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 12:15:21 2018
    Worked perfectly! Thanks.
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From david.ritterskamp@compucom.com@21:1/5 to macr...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 14 06:13:37 2018
    On Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 3:15:22 PM UTC-5, macr...@gmail.com wrote:
    Worked perfectly! Thanks.

I know it's an old thread but I'm sure people are still having the same problem. Here's what's going on.

When you set up an org chart in powerpoint it's basically a bunch of macros that say "create this box with a line connecting it to the active (selected) box." after that it doesn't care where you move the box to if you move it manually, it's going to
    keep those two boxes connected with that line come hell or high water. The reason the line is crooked is because the box is crooked with respect to where the line is connected.

what you want to do is undo the setup (ctrl-z) back to where it's straight and then PROMOTE or DEMOTE the box, and then get comfortable with the Layout button using Standard, Both, Left Hang, or Right Hang. Play with it for awhile and you'll be able to
    produce straight lines on command.

For instance, if you hit Add Shape three times on a box, it will produce three subordinates to that box. If you hit it a fourth time, it will produce a subordinate to one of the boxes that was subordinate to the original box. If you then select the new
    box and hit Promote, NOW the program HAS to have FOUR subordinates to the original box. The program assumes you have no more than three subordinates for some reason.

David R
    MCP Windows 2000
    A+
    MOUS Word/Excel
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fmatsveru@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 6 03:58:03 2018
    Wow, thank you so much for this advice. It worked like magic!! I had struggled for a long time.
    --- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From james bain@21:1/5 to fmat...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 19 18:12:21 2023
    On Tuesday, November 6, 2018 at 10:58:03 PM UTC+11, fmat...@gmail.com wrote:
    Wow, thank you so much for this advice. It worked like magic!! I had struggled for a long time.

Hi there. Might be a bit old now, but is there no way to keep the lines straight when demoting or adding below.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05