• Excel Worksheet Object resizes in Word when I edit/open it

From coryieong@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 4 01:19:14 2018
    matters@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters於 2007年12月6日星期四 UTC+8下午1時14分00秒寫道:
    I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
    within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).
    It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding? Thanks.

I suffered from the same problem for a long long time, and one day, I found a way to prevent this program happening:

1. Start MS-Word,
    2. go to Settings, go to Advanced Settings, write down these settings on a paper (or take screen snapshots);
    3. Uncheck all these settings;
    4. Re-start MS-Word;
    5. Retake all the settings you write down in step-2;

Now you can use the Word as before, and the embedded Excel objects (Tables, Charts) will (hopefully) not re-size randomly anymore. It works in my environment and hope it works for you too.

I can only conclude that it is a programming bug of Word, but hard to believe that Microsoft give no solution after so many complaints.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From djkalil53@gmail.com@21:1/5 to cory...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 18 06:22:10 2018
    On Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 2:19:15 AM UTC-7, cory...@gmail.com wrote:
    matters@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters於 2007年12月6日星期四 UTC+8下午1時14分00秒寫道:
    I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use
    the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either
    It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding? Thanks.

I suffered from the same problem for a long long time, and one day, I found a way to prevent this program happening:

1. Start MS-Word,
    2. go to Settings, go to Advanced Settings, write down these settings on a paper (or take screen snapshots);
    4. Re-start MS-Word;

Now you can use the Word as before, and the embedded Excel objects (Tables, Charts) will (hopefully) not re-size randomly anymore. It works in my environment and hope it works for you too.

I can only conclude that it is a programming bug of Word, but hard to believe that Microsoft give no solution after so many complaints.

I am using Word 2016, and this workaround actually worked. Brilliant! I was working for several hours trying to figure out the "secret handshake." I should have Googled for an answer beforehand. Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fatguy1121@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Size matters on Tue Jun 11 22:55:54 2019
    On Wednesday, December 5, 2007 at 9:14:00 PM UTC-8, matters@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters wrote:
    I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either

Holy Resurrection Batman! I found the 100% verifiable way to fix this from happening. The issue is from using the excel spreadsheet object as a floating object. It NEEDS to be set as an in-line with text object by Right clicking Format Object > Layout >
    Wrapping Style > In line with text.

If you have issues with it jumping around pages, set the invisible lines to have a font size of 1pt and keep dragging it around until you get it "in-line" with the "text". Just keep in mind that the spreadsheet is now "technically" a text object so
    hitting backspace will delete it while typing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From den.yayan@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Size matters on Mon Jan 27 23:37:41 2020
    On Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:14:00 PM UTC+7, matters@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters wrote:
    I have pasted an Excel Worksheet Object into my Word document. I need to use the Excel functions (filtering) on this object so it must be editable (either within the Word doc or in separate Excel doc).

all you nedd just save as your file with low version than your excel. example both initial files are MS Office 2019. after all work done, save as MS Word with old version. its work with me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jjasmith4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 28 06:27:01 2020
    stephen -- check this out:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/embedded-excel-table-zooms-in-when-edited/744127f5-dc1a-46d7-8039-f7e1a201337a?auth=1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jjasmith4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 28 06:33:53 2020
    I've been doing this as an inline shape from the beginning and always, and I still have zooming/resizing issues.

It seems to be related to external monitors?? Check this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/embedded-excel-table-zooms-in-when-edited/744127f5-dc1a-46d7-8039-f7e1a201337a?auth=1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jjasmith4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 28 06:25:07 2020
    Nope, I've been putting an Excel object into a Word document as an in-line shape every time, and I still get the issue. It seems also related to whether you're using an external monitor?!?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/embedded-excel-table-zooms-in-when-edited/744127f5-dc1a-46d7-8039-f7e1a201337a?auth=1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jjasmith4@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 28 06:26:17 2020
    What are the settings at step 2? They're not written anywhere, nor are any images displayed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From coloradoappraisalconsultants@gmail.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 11 15:06:04 2020
    I have dealt with this issue for years, no solution.

It is not the "inline" setting, "lock aspect ratio" or any other setting I can find. And it has nothing to do with external monitors or display.

Still unfixed for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gouleauflorence@gmail.com@21:1/5 to coloradoapprai...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 15 08:00:19 2020
    On Thursday, 11 June 2020 23:06:06 UTC+1, coloradoapprai...@gmail.com wrote:
    I have dealt with this issue for years, no solution.

It is not the "inline" setting, "lock aspect ratio" or any other setting I can find. And it has nothing to do with external monitors or display.

Still unfixed for me.

Disconnecting the external monitor immediately solved it for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From charlemagnepaul@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 3 03:43:48 2020
    Right click then go to picture. In the format object set up go to size and picture tab and click reset. On Layout, click in line with text. It should return to its normal size.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stefanie F@21:1/5 to cory...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 29 09:02:58 2020
    mat...@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters於 2007年12月6日星期四 UTC+8下午1時14分00秒寫道:

1. Start MS-Word,
    4. Re-start MS-Word;

Why did this work?! Amazing. Thank you for this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Cody Gale, MAI, CCIM@21:1/5 to Stefanie F on Thu Oct 29 15:51:57 2020
    What settings did you uncheck? I don't see that here. Thank you!

On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 10:02:59 AM UTC-6, Stefanie F wrote:

1. Start MS-Word,
    4. Re-start MS-Word;

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jake Bramwell@21:1/5 to CCIM on Mon Apr 26 18:05:07 2021
    What worked for me was right clicking the object (embedded from excel) and then scrolling over "Wrap text" and then clicking "square". Now when I save the document, the object does not automatically resize to be off the page.
    On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 3:51:58 PM UTC-7, Cody Gale, MAI, CCIM wrote:
    What settings did you uncheck? I don't see that here. Thank you!
    On Thursday, October 29, 2020 at 10:02:59 AM UTC-6, Stefanie F wrote:
    It works correctly however it resizes (expands) itself within Word when
    edited or opened. Sometimes it returns to the correct size after a few seconds but other times it does not and I can only fix it by using undo.

Do you know why it does this or what I can do to stop it from expanding?
    Thanks.

1. Start MS-Word,
    4. Re-start MS-Word;

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?TXVzdGFmYSDDllpLQVlBIChET@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 14 06:54:07 2021
    7 Eylül 2017 Perşembe tarihinde saat 18:33:29 UTC+3 itibarıyla stephen...@gmail.com şunları yazdı:
    On Thursday, December 6, 2007 at 12:14:00 AM UTC-5, mat...@discussions.microsoft.com Size matters wrote:

Same thing is happening to me. I've read a lot of forums and tried some of the fixes, but nothing was working. For some reason I began having the same problem with embedded excel sheets in MS Word docs that previously were working fine, so I began
    troubleshooting issues outside of MS Word/Excel. When I disconnected the laptop from the docking station and tested the embedded excel sheets, the tables reverted to normal. So, although I don't fully understand the root cause, it appears to be connected
    with display settings. Try adjusting display settings or disconnecting your laptop from the monitor and then open and close the embedded Excel sheet and see if that affects the distortion.
    It works please try it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05