• when shading a table one cell has a white streak at the bottom

From dannywjaco@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Lene Fredborg on Wed Dec 6 20:45:21 2017
    On Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 11:11:44 AM UTC-5, Lene Fredborg wrote:
    Things you can check:
    A. The "Apply to" field in Format > Borders and Shading > Shading tab must be set to "Cell" in order for the shading to always fill out the selected cell(s).

Could it be that "Apply to" has been set to e.g. "Paragraph" in the cell(s) with white space? This will result in white space above and/or below the text
    if you have applied space above and/or below the text in Format > Paragraph. In addition, if you have applied cell margins (Table > Table Properties > Table tab > Options), you will see white space along the sides with margins.

If A. is not the problem:
    B. Do you have different bottom cell margins applied to the cells in the row with the problem? This seems to result in white space at the bottom of cells even it you apply the shading to the cells. For example, if one cell in a row
    has 1mm bottom cell margin whereas the other cells have no bottom cell margin, those cells will have 1mm white space at the bottom (i.e. only the cell(s) with the largest bottom margin will be totally filled - other cells will have a white space corresponding to the difference between the bottom cell margins). For some reason, the same does not seem to apply if you have different top cell margins (at least I did not see any white space in the top
    of cells when testing in Word 2002 and 2003).

--
    Regards
    Lene Fredborg
    DocTools - Denmark
    www.thedoctools.com
    Document automation - add-ins, macros and templates for Microsoft Word

"editor" wrote:

I have windows xp withword 2003. I have tried every suggestion from the help
    menue, however, I cannot get rid of the white streak at the bottom of one cell after colour shading the whole table - I have coloured blocks of rows with different colours. It was fine until I split this cell.

Despite the fact that this post is 10 years old, I am saying "Thank You" for this tip. I too was confounded as to the white line through the middle of one of my table cells. Removing the Paragraph "After" space corrected it! Sometime Microsoft plants
    little challenges unwittingly that ultimately make us all a bit smarter. Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jenny@crowdcare.org@21:1/5 to editor on Thu Jul 18 14:11:48 2019
    On Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 9:57:33 AM UTC-6, editor wrote:
    I have windows xp withword 2003. I have tried every suggestion from the help menue, however, I cannot get rid of the white streak at the bottom of one cell after colour shading the whole table - I have coloured blocks of rows with different colours. It was fine until I split this cell.

I had this same issue. I highlighted my text in my entire table, and then selected Table > Table Properties > Row > then deselect "Allow row to break across pages." Fixed it for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mmmanojo@googlemail.com@21:1/5 to editor on Thu Jun 11 05:44:51 2020
    On Saturday, 19 May 2007 16:57:33 UTC+1, editor wrote:
    I have windows xp withword 2003. I have tried every suggestion from the help menue, however, I cannot get rid of the white streak at the bottom of one cell after colour shading the whole table - I have coloured blocks of rows with different colours. It was fine until I split this cell.

SOLVED the WHITE LINE problem! I think! Select table, right click on it and select 'Table Properties', select 'Row' then 'Next Row' and again until you get to the row where the maddening line is at the bottom and for that row select 'Exactly' (instead of
    At Least) BINGO! So hope it works for you too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emily Auld@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 13 04:36:06 2023
    SOLVED the WHITE LINE problem! I think! Select table, right click on it and select 'Table Properties', select 'Row' then 'Next Row' and again until you get to the row where the maddening line is at the bottom and for that row select 'Exactly' (instead
    of At Least) BINGO! So hope it works for you too.

Thankyou! I've been looking for this for forever!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dillon Griffin@21:1/5 to mmma...@googlemail.com on Tue Sep 12 07:49:53 2023
    On Thursday 11 June 2020 at 13:44:52 UTC+1, mmma...@googlemail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 19 May 2007 16:57:33 UTC+1, editor wrote:
    I have windows xp withword 2003. I have tried every suggestion from the help
    menue, however, I cannot get rid of the white streak at the bottom of one cell after colour shading the whole table - I have coloured blocks of rows with different colours. It was fine until I split this cell.
    SOLVED the WHITE LINE problem! I think! Select table, right click on it and select 'Table Properties', select 'Row' then 'Next Row' and again until you get to the row where the maddening line is at the bottom and for that row select 'Exactly' (instead
    of At Least) BINGO! So hope it works for you too.

You're a hero. Thanks mate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05