• Syntax Errors in Word 2016

From laurenbseattle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 10 15:53:26 2018
    Hi all -

Have reached my wit's end with this. I am working in Word 2016, per a recent upgrade at work, and using the legacy tools to run calculations in a form.

I am stuck on a IF problem, where if the dropdown field says "Yes" I need Word to run a calculation, and to display $0.00 otherwise. I have been making minor tweaks to the below for hours, and getting various !Syntax Error back (#, *, etc.):

{ IF { ref DropDown } = "Yes" " { = { AVERAGE (Value1, Value2, Value3, Value4) } * { Area } * { RentalRate } * { TaxRate } \ # "$#,##0.00" } " "$0.00" }

WHERE TaxRate is simply a number (e.g. 0.5).

The dropdown field is set to calculate on exit and all {} marks were added using Ctrl+F9.

Value1, Value2, etc. are also calculations of Area1*Subvalue1, which may be contributing.

I have also tried variations on AVERAGE, such as summing the four values and dividing, breaking them up into their own fields, etc. These do not seem to change the problem.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Lauren

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dpb@21:1/5 to laurenbseattle on Wed Jul 11 14:03:59 2018
    On 7/10/2018 5:53 PM, laurenbseattle wrote:
    Hi all -

Have reached my wit's end with this. I am working in Word 2016, per a recent upgrade at work, and using the legacy tools to run calculations in a form.

I have no solutions but afaict all the tables, etc., formulae in Word
    2016 are essentially non-functional and non-fixable.

Like you I spent most of an afternoon trying to simply convert hardcoded numbers in a proposal table in an inherited document to auto-compute
    sums by row and column and never got anything to work either at all or consistently correctly after an occasional appearance of working initially.

Then trying to embed the same table as Excel wouldn't format...

MS ought to have to try to use their own products. :(

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)