• Re: MFT in two places

From David G. Horsman@21:1/5 to Bill Cunningham on Sat Nov 27 21:45:54 2021
    On Friday, 4 November 2016 at 10:30:49 UTC-7, Bill Cunningham wrote:
    "B00ze" <B00...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nvgvbe$ur3$1...@dont-email.me...
    Lol, tough nut to crack. Maybe this is all because your filesystem is live? I myself use MyDefrag offline (I boot WinPE,) but I always thought it was good enough to defrag the MFT on a live disk
    I agree. It should be rebooted and then repair. Contig.exe isn't going to do that. I myself like defraggler. It reboots and defrags the pagefile.

Bill
    Hi folks. I will be releasing a script library for MyDefrag that may be of interest.
    It's quite powerful and will be fully in the background one that feature is added.
    It's called TaylorDo Disk Optimizer. You can find the beat release here:

https://github.com/DHorse2/TaylorDo

It's an open source project if anyone wants to get involved.

BTW I have no problems placing and fully defragging the MFT however there are a few system files that can be very problematic, the $??? directories included. On a full disk it can create a real mess that prevents proper volume management. I am added
    commands to address this as well but it can alter user's settings.

Regards, Dave Horsman

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David G. Horsman@21:1/5 to David G. Horsman on Sat Nov 27 21:51:56 2021
    On Saturday, 27 November 2021 at 21:45:57 UTC-8, David G. Horsman wrote:
    "B00ze" <B00...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:nvgvbe$ur3$1...@dont-email.me...
    Lol, tough nut to crack. Maybe this is all because your filesystem is live? I myself use MyDefrag offline (I boot WinPE,) but I always thought it was good enough to defrag the MFT on a live disk
    I agree. It should be rebooted and then repair. Contig.exe isn't going to do
    that. I myself like defraggler. It reboots and defrags the pagefile.

Bill
    Hi folks. I will be releasing a script library for MyDefrag that may be of interest.
    It's quite powerful and will be fully in the background one that feature is added.

BTW I have no problems placing and fully defragging the MFT however there are a few system files that can be very problematic, the $??? directories included. On a full disk it can create a real mess that prevents proper volume management. I am added

Regards, Dave Horsman

I can only guarantee that this product works on Vista and above based on the MyDefrag documentation and it's use of the new Windows API. Can someone let me know if XP runs MyDefrag?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Dulak@21:1/5 to David G. Horsman on Sun Nov 28 08:12:09 2021
    On 11/28/2021 12:51 AM, David G. Horsman wrote:
    "B00ze" <B00...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:nvgvbe$ur3$1...@dont-email.me...
    Lol, tough nut to crack. Maybe this is all because your filesystem is
    live? I myself use MyDefrag offline (I boot WinPE,) but I always thought >>>> it was good enough to defrag the MFT on a live disk

Bill

Regards, Dave Horsman

I can only guarantee that this product works on Vista and above based on the MyDefrag documentation and it's use of the new Windows API. Can someone let me know if XP runs MyDefrag?

David:

I've run MyDefrag v4.3.1 on XP.

HTH & GL

John

--
    \\\||/// ------------------o000----(o)(o)----000o---------------- ----------------------------()--------------------------
    '' Madness takes its toll - Please have exact change. ''

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Shadow@21:1/5 to dhorse2@gmail.com on Sun Nov 28 15:31:01 2021
    On Sat, 27 Nov 2021 21:51:56 -0800 (PST), "David G. Horsman" <dhorse2@gmail.com> wrote:

"B00ze" <B00...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:nvgvbe$ur3$1...@dont-email.me...
    Lol, tough nut to crack. Maybe this is all because your filesystem is
    live? I myself use MyDefrag offline (I boot WinPE,) but I always thought >> > > it was good enough to defrag the MFT on a live disk

Bill

Regards, Dave Horsman

https://web.archive.org/web/20150218174231/https://mydefrag.com/Manual-DownloadAndInstall.html

MyDefrag was originally designed for Win 2000, Win XP or
    worse(as JKDefrag)..
    I use v4.3.1 on my XP system with a larger "gap" than the
    default. I also added some very large data files to the "System Disk
    Monthly" script so they will be placed "last".
    []'s

--
    Don't be evil - Google 2004
    We have a new policy - Google 2012
    Google Fuchsia - 2021

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05