• Problems with Saving Word Files

From =?UTF-8?Q?Kim_M=C3=BCller?=@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 02:46:28 2020
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a document which then will be saved as a template for further use. The problem is, that everytime when I'm trying to save it by giving it a name and a path, word just seems to create or rename my file and then after one second just
    deletes it from said path amd renames it back to what it was before.

For example when I try to save document to desktop and call it template, the document called template will appear for one second on the desktop and on the top bar inside word you see the name swapping from document to template. After about a second the
    name at the top swapps back and the files disappears from my desktop. If I close the document at this point, word asks me if I want to safe it before closing. (because it didn't really save my file)

I tried every fix I was able to find (reinstalling word, open and repair, some sort of maggie fix, different computers etc) and ended up opening a new empty document entirely and copying everything over step by step, saving every chance I get to create a
    new working document. Now I'm here with like 30 documents and literally at the last page.

The second last page is in landscape mode while the last page has to be normal. So I create a section break next page (not sure if this is the correct english term, in german its called "Abschnittswechsel (Nächste Seite)) and swap from landscape to
    normal and as soon as I do this, the problem appears again.

I tried to find out what the problem was too by taking the document and deleting parts out of it until the problem disappears and it seems to be connected with section brakes.

The document has 9 pages in total, 2 of which need to be in landscape and the rest is normal. I unchecked the "connect with previous" under the header/footer options because landscape and normal use different placements for the header objects.

I am using a dell PC with win10 and Office 365. Sry for the wall of text but I tried giving as much info as possible. I have spent days now trying to find a solution and I couldn't find the source of the problem. I hope I can find some help here. The
    actual problem is really just that this file somehow just can't be saved what ever I try.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jfk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 05:05:12 2020
    Hey Peter thanks for the reply.
    My description is long because the problem seems to be very specific.

I know how to use 'save as' and then pick template. The point is that when I do that, the behavior I mentioned above happens (new file appearing for a second then disappearing again and the name changes back to what the file was called before saving).

I asked many people already and no one even heard of this before, thats why I'm asking here.
    If someone wants to help but doesn't understand my description then please ask and I will try to put it in other words.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Jfk on Thu Oct 15 04:50:52 2020
    Your descripti0n is way too long to try to go through, but to
    create a template you don't just name the file with a template
    extension. You do it with Save As, where you'll find "template"
    as an option. Word then puts the .dot extension on it.

On Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 5:46:30 AM UTC-4, Jfk wrote:
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a document which then will be saved as a template for further use. The problem is, that everytime when I'm trying to save it by giving it a name and a path, word just seems to create or rename my file and then after one second
    just deletes it from said path amd renames it back to what it was before.

For example when I try to save document to desktop and call it template, the document called template will appear for one second on the desktop and on the top bar inside word you see the name swapping from document to template. After about a second the
    name at the top swapps back and the files disappears from my desktop. If I close the document at this point, word asks me if I want to safe it before closing. (because it didn't really save my file)

I tried every fix I was able to find (reinstalling word, open and repair, some sort of maggie fix, different computers etc) and ended up opening a new empty document entirely and copying everything over step by step, saving every chance I get to create
    a new working document. Now I'm here with like 30 documents and literally at the last page.

The second last page is in landscape mode while the last page has to be normal. So I create a section break next page (not sure if this is the correct english term, in german its called "Abschnittswechsel (Nächste Seite)) and swap from landscape to

I tried to find out what the problem was too by taking the document and deleting parts out of it until the problem disappears and it seems to be connected with section brakes.

The document has 9 pages in total, 2 of which need to be in landscape and the rest is normal. I unchecked the "connect with previous" under the header/footer options because landscape and normal use different placements for the header objects.

I am using a dell PC with win10 and Office 365. Sry for the wall of text but I tried giving as much info as possible. I have spent days now trying to find a solution and I couldn't find the source of the problem. I hope I can find some help here. The
    actual problem is really just that this file somehow just can't be saved what ever I try.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to Jfk on Thu Oct 15 06:34:55 2020
    Looks like you'll have to go to the MS web site. The experts don't
    check here any more.

n Thursday, October 15, 2020 at 8:05:15 AM UTC-4, Jfk wrote:
    Hey Peter thanks for the reply.
    My description is long because the problem seems to be very specific.

I know how to use 'save as' and then pick template. The point is that when I do that, the behavior I mentioned above happens (new file appearing for a second then disappearing again and the name changes back to what the file was called before saving).

I asked many people already and no one even heard of this before, thats why I'm asking here.
    If someone wants to help but doesn't understand my description then please ask and I will try to put it in other words.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FxM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 17:19:19 2020
    Hallo Kim,

Win10, Word 2019 French :

Just tried to create a similar template from raw.
    I want to save under Z:\a\template.dot (Z: is a local NAS storage).

Same as you : nothing under Z:\a\ ... !
    Hum, hum M$ please, is that normal, logical or just boring ??

I opened Word and choosed the last file (my template).
    It's located under 'OneDrive' folder What the f**k is it doing here ? 'onedrive' folder -> documents -> personnalized Office models

Doesn't not solve the problem but hope that at least you have a copy back.

HTH
    Regards
    FxM

Le 15/10/2020 à 11:46, Kim Müller a écrit :
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a document which then will be saved as a template for further use. The problem is, that everytime when I'm trying to save it by giving it a name and a path, word just seems to create or rename my file and then after one second
    just deletes it from said path amd renames it back to what it was before.

I tried every fix I was able to find (reinstalling word, open and repair, some sort of maggie fix, different computers etc) and ended up opening a new empty document entirely and copying everything over step by step, saving every chance I get to create
    a new working document. Now I'm here with like 30 documents and literally at the last page.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FxM@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 17:31:22 2020
    Adding :
    - I looked into Word -> options -> recording (?)
    default paths pointed to D:\onedrive\etc... Arghhh !
    and I can not changed default paths for template.
    - de-installed OneDrive from PC
    - retryed saving template under Z:\ : now ok.

HTH
    Regards
    FxM

Le 15/10/2020 à 17:19, FxM a écrit :
    Hallo Kim,

Win10, Word 2019 French :

Just tried to create a similar template from raw.
    I want to save under Z:\a\template.dot   (Z: is a local NAS storage).

Same as you : nothing under Z:\a\ ... !
    Hum, hum M$ please, is that normal, logical or just boring ??

I opened Word and choosed the last file (my template).
    It's located under 'OneDrive' folder   What the f**k is it doing here ? 'onedrive' folder -> documents -> personnalized Office models

Doesn't not solve the problem but hope that at least you have a copy back.

HTH
    Regards
    FxM

Le 15/10/2020 à 11:46, Kim Müller a écrit :
    Hello everyone.

I am trying to create a document which then will be saved as a
    template for further use. The problem is, that everytime when I'm
    trying to save it by giving it a name and a path, word just seems to
    create or rename my file and then after one second just deletes it
    from said path amd renames it back to what it was before.

For example when I try to save document to desktop and call it
    template, the document called template will appear for one second on
    the desktop and on the top bar inside word you see the name swapping
    from document to template. After about a second the name at the top
    swapps back and the files disappears from my desktop. If I close the
    document at this point, word asks me if I want to safe it before
    closing. (because it didn't really save my file)

I tried every fix I was able to find (reinstalling word, open and
    repair, some sort of maggie fix, different computers etc) and ended up
    opening a new empty document entirely and copying everything over step
    by step, saving every chance I get to create a new working document.
    Now I'm here with like 30 documents and literally at the last page.

The second last page is in landscape mode while the last page has to
    be normal. So I create a section break next page (not sure if this is
    the correct english term, in german its called "Abschnittswechsel
    (Nächste Seite)) and swap from landscape to  normal and as soon as I
    do this, the problem appears again.

I tried to find out what the problem was too by taking the document
    and deleting parts out of it until the problem disappears and it seems
    to be connected with section brakes.

The document has 9 pages in total, 2 of which need to be in landscape
    and the rest is normal. I unchecked the "connect with previous" under
    the header/footer options because landscape and normal use different
    placements for the header objects.

I am using a dell PC with win10 and Office 365. Sry for the wall of
    text but I tried giving as much info as possible. I have spent days
    now trying to find a solution and I couldn't find the source of the
    problem. I hope I can find some help here. The actual problem is
    really just that this file somehow just can't be saved what ever I try.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jfk@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 15 22:50:25 2020
    Hi FxM

I'm not using Onedrive at all. FIles are on a data server but I'm testing it local on my desktop and I'm still having those problems.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From FxM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 16 08:33:00 2020
    Le 16/10/2020 à 07:50, Jfk a écrit :
    Hi FxM

I'm not using Onedrive at all. FIles are on a data server but I'm testing it local on my desktop and I'm still having those problems.

Hi Jfk,

Did you check if the file was saved somewhere else than where you expected ?

I'm also not using Onedrive nor wanted it. It was just installed on my
    PC. Was my two cents. Doesn't work for you, sorry.

Regards
    FxM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jfk@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 16 01:29:32 2020
    Hi Jfk,

Did you check if the file was saved somewhere else than where you expected ?

I'm also not using Onedrive nor wanted it. It was just installed on my
    PC. Was my two cents. Doesn't work for you, sorry.

Regards
    FxM

Hi FxM

I checked and there are no other copies anywhere. A copy is created and then just disappears after about a second.
    Computers do not have Onedrive set up at all here too.

And hey you tried helping, no reason to apologize. Thanks for trying!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jfk@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 16 06:44:21 2020
    Have you tried uninstalling and installing Office again? Maybe there
    also some permission problems we might not consider? Simply it's some of
    bug here.

https://www.bizset.com/

--
    WJones69

Hi WJones69

Yes, reinstallation happened already. It can't be a permission problem imo since I tried it with a local admin user saving under desktop and other places.
    Behavior stays the same regardless, thats why I think it has to be something with said file.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05