If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a particular context
    -- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context
    into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them with something else (in
    this example they should be primes and not quotation marks anyway), and
    then if necessary repeat the process searching for the temporary replace-
    ment character, Replace with the quote marks with "Use curly quotes"
    turned off.

If that's not a possibility, then you might have to go through and
    click Replace for every example (or not).

I know this is years and years later - but I'm hoping you can help anyway. This works great because I have some documents that need to convert to smart quotes, but the rest of the time I need straight quotes. Is there a way to toggle back the
    autocorrect as you type option to being not selected for smart quotes after running the macro? i.e., toggle back the selection of smart quotes to not selected as it was before the macro ran?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From emaina1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Greg Maxey on Wed Jul 22 03:54:01 2020
    On Monday, 21 September 2009 01:16:56 UTC+3, Greg Maxey wrote:
    Peter,

This looks like another nail that could be pounded down with a hammer. Surely considering your drive for efficiency and in any universe running a simple macro is easier than all of your option changes, finding, replacing, and typing:

Sub ToogleQuoteType()
    Dim rngstory As Word.Range
    Dim myRange As Range
    Dim SmartQuote As Boolean
    Select Case True
    Case Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes
    If MsgBox("Smart quotes are turned on. Do you want to convert to straight quotes", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Settings") = vbYes Then
    Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False
    For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    Do
    If rngstory.StoryLength >= 2 Then
    QuoteToggle rngstory
    End If
    Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
    Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
    Next rngstory
    End If
    Case Else
    If MsgBox("Smart quotes are turned off. Do you want to convert to smart quotes", vbQuestion + vbYesNo, "Settings") = vbYes Then
    Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = True
    For Each rngstory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
    Do
    If rngstory.StoryLength >= 2 Then
    QuoteToggle rngstory
    End If
    Set rngstory = rngstory.NextStoryRange
    Loop Until rngstory Is Nothing
    Next rngstory
    End If
    End Select
    End Sub

Sub QuoteToggle(ByVal rngstory As Word.Range)
    With rngstory.Find
    'quote marks
    .Text = Chr$(34)
    .Replacement.Text = Chr$(34)
    .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    'apostrophe
    .Text = Chr$(39)
    .Replacement.Text = Chr$(39)
    .Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
    End With
    End Sub

Peter T. Daniels wrote:
    With "Replace Straight Quotes with Curly Quotes" turned on, Ctrl-H (Find-Replace), type ' in the Find box, type ' in the Replace With
    box, and click "Replace All." Repeat with " in the Find and in the
    Replace With boxes.

Should you ever want to go back to straight quotes, for instance if
    you were copying some of your text to email, repeat the procedures
    with the replacement option unchecked.

On Sep 20, 1:30 pm, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    I'm working with a document that now has a mix of straight and curly
    quotes. I'd like to change all the straight quotes to curly quotes
    throughout the document.

Obviously I can edit it by hand. But is there any simpler way to
    systematically change the straight quotes to curly quotes?

I'm using Word 2003.

Thanks.

--
    Greg Maxey

See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org
    for an eclectic collection of Word Tips.

"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
    strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them
    better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is
    marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly...who knows
    the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a
    worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
    daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and
    timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." - TR

I know this is years and years later - but I'm hoping you can help anyway. This works great because I have some documents that need to convert to smart quotes, but the rest of the time I need straight quotes. Is there a way to toggle back the autocorrect
    as you type option to being not selected for smart quotes after running the macro? i.e., toggle back the selection of smart quotes to not selected as it was before the macro ran?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter T. Daniels@21:1/5 to ema...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 22 04:40:57 2020
    On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:15:23 AM UTC-4, ema...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:07:54 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
    -- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them with something else (in this example they should be primes and not quotation marks anyway), and then if necessary repeat the process searching for the temporary replace- ment character, Replace with the quote marks with "Use curly quotes" turned off.

I know this is years and years later - but I'm hoping you can help anyway. This works great because I have some documents that need to convert to smart quotes, but the rest of the time I need straight quotes. Is there a way to toggle back the
    autocorrect as you type option to being not selected for smart quotes after running the macro? i.e., toggle back the selection of smart quotes to not selected as it was before the macro ran?

Thanks for getting back to me so unexpectedly quick! I proofread documents. One client wants smart quotes, but all my other clients prefer straight quotes. I can use this macro with the autocorrect option off for smart quotes, which is what I need 90%
    of the time. But if I use it for the one client, then the option is set to "use smart quotes" by the macro. How can I toggle it back within the macro to setting the autocorrect option off again?

Don't use the macro.

Do it the way I explained in 2009 -- still works.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From emaina1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter T. Daniels on Wed Jul 22 04:50:43 2020
    On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 14:40:59 UTC+3, Peter T. Daniels wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:15:23 AM UTC-4, ema...@gmail.com wrote:
    If the straight-quotes you want to keep are all in a particular context -- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context
    into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them with something else (in
    this example they should be primes and not quotation marks anyway), and then if necessary repeat the process searching for the temporary replace- ment character, Replace with the quote marks with "Use curly quotes" turned off.

Thanks for getting back to me so unexpectedly quick! I proofread documents. One client wants smart quotes, but all my other clients prefer straight quotes. I can use this macro with the autocorrect option off for smart quotes, which is what I need 90%
    of the time. But if I use it for the one client, then the option is set to "use smart quotes" by the macro. How can I toggle it back within the macro to setting the autocorrect option off again?

Don't use the macro.

Do it the way I explained in 2009 -- still works.

If I understand the method without the macro correctly, I need to:
    1. Set the autocorrect option to use smart quotes
    2. Find and replace double quotes
    3. Find and replace single quotes/apostrophes
    4. Set autocorrect back to not use smart quotes after I'm done with that particular client's documents

I was looking for a macro to do it in the interest of 1, saving time, and 2, making sure I don't forget the last step of changing back the autocorrect in step 4 because then I'll potentially be doing find&replace for every document unnecessarily.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From emaina1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Peter T. Daniels on Wed Jul 22 04:15:21 2020
    -- such as if they're foot-and-inch markers -- you could put that context into your Find box using Wild Cards, replace them with something else (in this example they should be primes and not quotation marks anyway), and
    then if necessary repeat the process searching for the temporary replace- ment character, Replace with the quote marks with "Use curly quotes"
    turned off.

Thanks for getting back to me so unexpectedly quick! I proofread documents. One client wants smart quotes, but all my other clients prefer straight quotes. I can use this macro with the autocorrect option off for smart quotes, which is what I need 90% of
    the time. But if I use it for the one client, then the option is set to "use smart quotes" by the macro. How can I toggle it back within the macro to setting the autocorrect option off again?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05