• [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Vim needs your help!

From Patrice Clement@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 4 23:00:01 2022
    Hi!

I'm the only maintainer left within the Gentoo Vim Project [1] and would need some help to maintain the vim editor along with the app-vim/ category.

vim and vim packages are low-maintenance: a version bump here, a security fix there. vim ebuilds aren't that complicated. vim eclasses have to be migrated to EAPI 8. I would like the eclasses to support neovim at some point too (yeah it's about time).

It has been suggested to disband the project and return all vim packages to maintainer-needed since, well, I'm the only person in it. To be honest, I would like the project structure to remain as-is as I think disbanding the project may make matters worse.

Feel free to join the #vim IRC channel on irc.libera.chat or respond to this email if you're interested.

[1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Vim

Cheers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Matt Turner@21:1/5 to monsieurp@gentoo.org on Mon Apr 4 23:40:01 2022
    On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 1:59 PM Patrice Clement <monsieurp@gentoo.org> wrote:
    Feel free to join the #vim IRC channel on irc.libera.chat or respond to this email if you're interested.

He means #gentoo-vim here :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas Bracht Laumann Jespersen@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 5 07:40:01 2022
    I'm the only maintainer left within the Gentoo Vim Project [1] and would need some help to maintain the vim editor along with the app-vim/ category.

vim and vim packages are low-maintenance: a version bump here, a security fix there. vim ebuilds aren't that complicated. vim eclasses have to be migrated to
    EAPI 8. I would like the eclasses to support neovim at some point too (yeah it's about time).

It has been suggested to disband the project and return all vim packages to maintainer-needed since, well, I'm the only person in it. To be honest, I would
    like the project structure to remain as-is as I think disbanding the project may make matters worse.

Daily Vim user here. Would love to help you out with the maintenance, I've joined the IRC channel, feel free to ping me there.

-- Thomas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Zoltan Puskas@21:1/5 to Patrice Clement on Tue Apr 5 10:10:01 2022
    Hey.

I use vim quite a bit, I'm happy to help out.

Zoltan

On Mon, Apr 04, 2022 at 10:59:07PM +0200, Patrice Clement wrote:
    Hi!

vim and vim packages are low-maintenance: a version bump here, a security fix there. vim ebuilds aren't that complicated. vim eclasses have to be migrated to
    EAPI 8. I would like the eclasses to support neovim at some point too (yeah it's about time).

It has been suggested to disband the project and return all vim packages to maintainer-needed since, well, I'm the only person in it. To be honest, I would
    like the project structure to remain as-is as I think disbanding the project may make matters worse.

[1]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Vim

Cheers

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alarig Le Lay@21:1/5 to Matt Turner on Tue Apr 5 20:00:01 2022
    On Mon 04 Apr 2022 14:39:05 GMT, Matt Turner wrote:
    On Mon, Apr 4, 2022 at 1:59 PM Patrice Clement <monsieurp@gentoo.org> wrote:
    Feel free to join the #vim IRC channel on irc.libera.chat or respond to this
    email if you're interested.

He means #gentoo-vim here :)

I have also joined, and will be happy to help!

--
    Alarig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05