• [gentoo-dev] [PATCH 1/4] autotools.eclass: don't inject -I${SYSROOT} to

From Sam James@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 17 12:40:03 2022
    When -I${SYSROOT} is injected, it'll override the default of -Im4, which results in trying to install macros to ${SYSROOT} (a sandbox violation)
    when they can't be found.

From aclocal(1):
    ```
    -I DIR add directory to search list for .m4 files

--install
    copy third-party files to the first -I directory
    ```

The first directry is normally -Im4 if anything, whereas when injected
    (when ${SYSROOT} is defined), it ends up being ${SYSROOT}, not m4 (so
    we try to copy macros to somewhere outside of the build directory).

In EAPI 7+, this is almost always the case! We don't generally expect
    to find macros (particularly things like autoconf-archive) in ${SYSROOT} because that's for DEPEND-class dependencies, then they end up being
    copied in unnecessarily and wrongly.

We could drop this just for < EAPI 7, but I'm not sure there's much
    point there either. As Chewi observed in bug 677002, you can't
    assume they'll be present in ${SYSROOT} anyway, and frankly,
    the cross-compilation (and --root, --sysroot, and so on) situation
    is rather bleak for earlier EAPIs, which is why we did all that
    work for 7.

Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/710792
    Closes: https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002
    Closes: https://bugs.gentoo.org/738918
    Thanks-to: James Le Cuirot <chewi@gentoo.org>
    Signed-off-by: Sam James <sam@gentoo.org>
    ---
    eclass/autotools.eclass | 8 +-------
    1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 7 deletions(-)

diff --git a/eclass/autotools.eclass b/eclass/autotools.eclass
    index 95c92cc6df8ca..e2572290f0cbe 100644
    --- a/eclass/autotools.eclass
    +++ b/eclass/autotools.eclass
    @@ -1,4 +1,4 @@
    -# Copyright 1999-2021 Gentoo Authors
    +# Copyright 1999-2022 Gentoo Authors
    # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

# @ECLASS: autotools.eclass
    @@ -666,12 +666,6 @@ autotools_m4sysdir_include() {
    # First try to use the paths the system integrator has set up.
    local paths=( $(eval echo ${AT_SYS_M4DIR}) )

- if [[ ${#paths[@]} -eq 0 && -n ${SYSROOT} ]] ; then
    - # If they didn't give us anything, then default to the SYSROOT. - # This helps when cross-compiling.
    - local path="${SYSROOT}/usr/share/aclocal"
    - [[ -d ${path} ]] && paths+=( "${path}" )
    - fi
    _autotools_m4dir_include "${paths[@]}"
    }

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Sam James@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 17 12:40:03 2022
    Signed-off-by: Sam James <sam@gentoo.org>
    ---
    eclass/autotools.eclass | 2 +-
    1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/eclass/autotools.eclass b/eclass/autotools.eclass
    index 2cf7c076d01ed..5250b28042ee2 100644
    --- a/eclass/autotools.eclass
    +++ b/eclass/autotools.eclass
    @@ -74,7 +74,7 @@ inherit gnuconfig libtool
    # Do NOT change this variable in your ebuilds!
    # If you want to force a newer minor version, you can specify the correct
    # WANT value by using a colon: <PV>:<WANT_AUTOMAKE>
    -_LATEST_AUTOMAKE=( 1.16.2-r1:1.16 )
    +_LATEST_AUTOMAKE=( 1.16.4:1.16 )

_automake_atom="sys-devel/automake"
    _autoconf_atom="sys-devel/autoconf"
    --

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Frysinger@21:1/5 to Sam James on Wed Jan 19 07:40:01 2022
    On 17 Jan 2022 11:09, Sam James wrote:
    When -I${SYSROOT} is injected, it'll override the default of -Im4, which results in trying to install macros to ${SYSROOT} (a sandbox violation)

From aclocal(1):
    ```

--install
    ```

we should define the semantics we want and bring it upstream to get into automake. although it seems like ACLOCAL_PATH might work well enough
    for us now to switch to that.

as a stop gap, it seems like the use of --install is pretty low ? we're cross-compiling about ~2.5k packages in CrOS every day and never seen a
    failure here. so the few packages which are running into troubles can workaround it by setting AT_SYS_M4DIR right ?

to find macros (particularly things like autoconf-archive) in ${SYSROOT} because that's for DEPEND-class dependencies, then they end up being

i think this optimism is misplaced. libraries often install m4 files
    which is precisely why this logic is in here. https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002#c10

deleting this check will break things. prob more than we're fixing.
    -mike

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEuQK1JxMl+JKsJRrUQWM7n+g39YEFAmHnsS8ACgkQQWM7n+g3 9YEbTxAA0QIj1tp9l+pjjyF8CVv6vJqZJKMoeP0kxQOSvmBF1rmNnv3c/F4ema/L tqwY+vFLHzH8W18rlweG+cDWPHb5NQR8JcsayfTbeWf67YiVOBXuA7GuqTwpgOl9 rFeV8ONyCsHEyYGYSQLzcdkKWIreEjAYRkmUNFX0jpcj2lpcGSClv57zdM0N4g6Q kTi4pD3pihOKBucsnxEnF3tIpo/Oq3jzFInjhXq7AyLTJW5i7eN7opACq/Dh69Zu RBcSOy+UsnsAmwa2VA2VqnVqdT/GtzimheWhvHkhrTTA1HGHgvStitN3Ti4+sewe rEglDeWwhNMvN2PDThComSB8cBFfVIwXH5GmJjoeDslqGsI0zOk8Mm0y1dyIAnSk mOza5kQ7R2MsgMw76X3yD9kTTm6w/ouwV2jhYP5Ni5IPaYZGyhMkHrp9ZRIupgaB MPJ9vqbsomVA4MEpGnnqsvQZP8u+9lDuO5E1CCHpPl2gxJcxnvkKZKxNJqTkTk39 FH0doVWx4jTlezY23J06kwaUork77kpvWvbtXWNF6nBbC7h9ckC3n3wSLrGxfA0Z HtqAknREFYKRG2+ebcujgmJm3tgl4uj30Z+CRV4mqOU8/kCRNQxxzjvo3t4oPZZz xHutyWw1xmDQGzTcDc+0LLkBiHJ+rZEsaG3dwgjUEYB0Jys9CNQ=
    =WQpJ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam James@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 07:00:01 2022
    --Apple-Mail=_2DE5B281-25AF-482E-8986-ADF0F8E07ABD
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=us-ascii

On 19 Jan 2022, at 06:35, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 17 Jan 2022 11:09, Sam James wrote:
    When -I${SYSROOT} is injected, it'll override the default of -Im4, which
    results in trying to install macros to ${SYSROOT} (a sandbox violation)

From aclocal(1):
    ```

--install
    ```

we should define the semantics we want and bring it upstream to get into automake. although it seems like ACLOCAL_PATH might work well enough
    for us now to switch to that.

as a stop gap, it seems like the use of --install is pretty low ? we're cross-compiling about ~2.5k packages in CrOS every day and never seen a failure here. so the few packages which are running into troubles can workaround it by setting AT_SYS_M4DIR right ?

I've only seen it in the wild with:
    - app-crypt/tpm2-tss (https://bugs.gentoo.org/756211 <https://bugs.gentoo.org/756211>)
    - another package which I hit during "normal" use but I'm afraid I can't
    recall what. I suspect I hit it before Python grew a BDEPEND on autoconf-archive
    so we're less likely to hit it now.

But I accept it's niche. See below though, I think we agree that AT_SYS_M4DIR / system acdir should be satisfactory here.

I don't mind keeping the old logic for < EAPI 7 if that'll help you in CrOS though.

to find macros (particularly things like autoconf-archive) in ${SYSROOT}
    because that's for DEPEND-class dependencies, then they end up being

i think this optimism is misplaced. libraries often install m4 files
    which is precisely why this logic is in here. https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002#c10 <https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002#c10>

deleting this check will break things. prob more than we're fixing.

Sorry, you're absolutely right here!

But I think it's addressed by the system-acdir commit that follows it up.

i.e. the commit message is totally wrong (and I'll fix this), but the change is correct
    given we follow it up with seemingly a better way of handling
    the original case.

Does that sound right?

Best,
    sam

--Apple-Mail=_2DE5B281-25AF-482E-8986-ADF0F8E07ABD
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=us-ascii"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;" class=""><br class=""><div><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""
    <div class="">On 19 Jan 2022, at 06:35, Mike Frysinger &lt;<a href="mailto:vapier@gentoo.org" class="">vapier@gentoo.org</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=""><meta charset="UTF-8" class=""><div class="content-isolator__
    container" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space:
    normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;">On 17 Jan 2022 11:09, Sam James wrote:<br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class="">When -I${SYSROOT} is injected, it'll override the default of -Im4, which<br class="">
    results in trying to install macros to ${SYSROOT} (a sandbox violation)<br class="">when they can't be found.<br class=""><br class="">From aclocal(1):<br class="">```<br class="">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-I DIR add directory to search list
    for .m4 files<br class=""><br class="">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--install<br class="">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;copy third-party files to the first -I directory<br class="">```<br class=""><
    br class="">The first directry is normally -Im4 if anything, whereas when injected<br class="">(when ${SYSROOT} is defined), it ends up being ${SYSROOT}, not m4 (so<br class="">we try to copy macros to somewhere outside of the build directory).<br class="
    "></blockquote><br class="">we should define the semantics we want and bring it upstream to get into<br class="">automake. &nbsp;although it seems like ACLOCAL_PATH might work well enough<br class="">for us now to switch to that.<br class=""><br class="">
    as a stop gap, it seems like the use of --install is pretty low ? &nbsp;we're<br class="">cross-compiling about ~2.5k packages in CrOS every day and never seen a<br class="">failure here. &nbsp;so the few packages which are running into troubles can<br
    class="">workaround it by setting AT_SYS_M4DIR right ?<br class=""></div></div></blockquote><div><br class=""></div><div>I've only seen it in the wild with:</div><div>- app-crypt/tpm2-tss (<a href="https://bugs.gentoo.org/756211" class="">https://bugs.
    gentoo.org/756211</a>)</div><div>- another package which I hit during "normal" use but I'm afraid I can't</div><div>recall what. I suspect I hit it before Python grew a BDEPEND on autoconf-archive</div><div>so we're less likely to hit it now.</div><div><
    br class=""></div><div>But I accept it's niche. See below though, I think we agree that AT_SYS_M4DIR /</div><div>system acdir should be satisfactory here.</div><div><br class=""></div><div>I don't mind keeping the old logic for &lt; EAPI 7 if that'll
    help you in CrOS though.</div><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class=""><div class=""><div class="content-isolator__container" style="caret-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant-caps: normal;
    font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration: none;"><br class=""><blockquote type="cite" class="">In EAPI
    7+, this is almost always the case! We don't generally expect<br class="">to find macros (particularly things like autoconf-archive) in ${SYSROOT}<br class="">because that's for DEPEND-class dependencies, then they end up being<br class="">copied in
    unnecessarily and wrongly.<br class=""></blockquote><br class="">i think this optimism is misplaced. &nbsp;libraries often install m4 files<br class="">which is precisely why this logic is in here.<br class=""><a href="https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002#c10"
    class="">https://bugs.gentoo.org/677002#c10</a><br class=""><br class="">deleting this check will break things. &nbsp;prob more than we're fixing.<br class=""></div></div></blockquote><div><br class=""></div><div>Sorry, you're absolutely right here!</div>
    <div><br class=""></div><div>But I think it's addressed by the system-acdir commit that follows it up.</div><div><br class=""></div><div>i.e. the commit message is totally wrong (and I'll fix this), but the change is correct</div><div>given we follow it
    up with seemingly a better way of handling</div><div>the original case.</div><div><br class=""></div><div>Does that sound right?</div><br class=""></div><div>Best,</div><div>sam</div><br class=""></body></html>
    --Apple-Mail=_2DE5B281-25AF-482E-8986-ADF0F8E07ABD--

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQGTBAEBCgB9FiEEYOpPv/uDUzOcqtTy9JIoEO6gSDsFAmHo+g5fFIAAAAAALgAo aXNzdWVyLWZwckBub3RhdGlvbnMub3BlbnBncC5maWZ0aGhvcnNlbWFuLm5ldDYw RUE0RkJGRkI4MzUzMzM5Q0FBRDRGMkY0OTIyODEwRUVBMDQ4M0IACgkQ9JIoEO6g SDuHGggAgwspxY09IzcOTNOiOkaQX60HLwW5/4iSXSAUb2cVYjKqDMQeTGu2yugS wLqeRn9wMSIKWwvKP1+C3FMyDe/OPxa4pucftAMZgjgM6av7otLbsNRoAU6O6i36 irJkUkOsyUqqx+dsPWKoVqAey5surALuc62JWdf3TBY6/Y1YK7qWowDVdbJtdOS4 T0nTbIRNwD4CHpVMAXapOvd/EP80+xjuFJUEIqQvmTv52oe2gKRsC54MFXHCP+aX g12VmE4UulFZiBgDrZpUyQ6Qg/76LqajPrU+0z228/X+VfDw3GDZMhg/LvKtHevw Hp0yVYGhKTz4kbesjbPDj5k0SLzkXQ==
    =Plum
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05