• [gentoo-user] Ktorrent using a lot of memory recently

From Dale@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 21 08:10:02 2021
    Howdy all,

I been using Ktorrent for several months now.  When I started using it,
    it used only a few hundred megabytes of ram and was running for a week
    or so without a restart.  It rarely even showed up in top when sorted by memory usage.  Certainly true when several Firefox browser profiles are
    open and running.  Recently tho, it is using a lot more memory.  Once it
    was several GBs and I had to close and restart Ktorrent to clear it up. 
    It runs with a more normal memory usage for a while but then starts
    building up again.  Once I get something downloaded, I copy it from the
    folder it downloads to over to other directories where I rename and
    organize things.  Only active downloads remain listed within Ktorrent. 
    This is from top. This is after less than a day of run time, likely
    around 12 hours or so. 

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+
    COMMAND                                                                         

5604 dale      20   0 3262804   1.0g  81648 S   0.0   3.3  45:40.05
    /usr/bin/ktorrent

This is my version and USE flags.

[ebuild   R    ] net-p2p/ktorrent-21.08.3:5::gentoo  USE="bwscheduler downloadorder handbook infowidget ipfilter logviewer magnetgenerator mediaplayer scanfolder stats upnp webengine zeroconf -debug -rss
    -shutdown -test" 0 KiB

Entries in /etc/portage for ktorrent:

root@fireball / # grep -r ktorrent /etc/portage/ /etc/portage/package.use/package.use:net-p2p/ktorrent -search -shutdown -rss root@fireball / #

I checked and I'm on the same version as I have been using since I
    installed Ktorrent.  I suspect the problem may be a dependency of
    Ktorrent and not Ktorrent itself, even tho it shows Ktorrent using the memory.  I'm not quite sure how that could be but since Ktorrent itself
    hasn't changed, well, makes me wonder.

Anyone else having this problem or have a idea of the cause?  Could it
    be a USE flag that I can disable?  I can disable things I don't use if needed.  Is it something Ktorrent depends on that is causing this?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-) 

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From computers with nikita nikita@21:1/5 to rdalek1967@gmail.com on Tue Dec 21 17:50:07 2021
    I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a memory
    leak,
    have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a large number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht index (not
    sure what the proper terminology for this is)

You should double check your settings and make sure everything has sane
    limits

On Mon, Dec 20, 2021 at 11:07 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

Howdy all,

I been using Ktorrent for several months now. When I started using it,
    it used only a few hundred megabytes of ram and was running for a week
    or so without a restart. It rarely even showed up in top when sorted by memory usage. Certainly true when several Firefox browser profiles are
    open and running. Recently tho, it is using a lot more memory. Once it
    was several GBs and I had to close and restart Ktorrent to clear it up.
    It runs with a more normal memory usage for a while but then starts
    building up again. Once I get something downloaded, I copy it from the folder it downloads to over to other directories where I rename and
    organize things. Only active downloads remain listed within Ktorrent.
    This is from top. This is after less than a day of run time, likely
    around 12 hours or so.

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+

COMMAND

5604 dale 20 0 3262804 1.0g 81648 S 0.0 3.3 45:40.05 /usr/bin/ktorrent

This is my version and USE flags.

[ebuild R ] net-p2p/ktorrent-21.08.3:5::gentoo USE="bwscheduler downloadorder handbook infowidget ipfilter logviewer magnetgenerator mediaplayer scanfolder stats upnp webengine zeroconf -debug -rss
    -shutdown -test" 0 KiB

Entries in /etc/portage for ktorrent:

root@fireball / # grep -r ktorrent /etc/portage/ /etc/portage/package.use/package.use:net-p2p/ktorrent -search -shutdown
    -rss
    root@fireball / #

I checked and I'm on the same version as I have been using since I
    installed Ktorrent. I suspect the problem may be a dependency of
    Ktorrent and not Ktorrent itself, even tho it shows Ktorrent using the memory. I'm not quite sure how that could be but since Ktorrent itself hasn't changed, well, makes me wonder.

Anyone else having this problem or have a idea of the cause? Could it
    be a USE flag that I can disable? I can disable things I don't use if needed. Is it something Ktorrent depends on that is causing this?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.

Dale

:-) :-)

<div dir="ltr"><div>I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a memory leak,</div><div> have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a large number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht index (
    not sure what the proper terminology for this is)<br></div><div><br></div><div>You should double check your settings and make sure everything has sane limits<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, Dec 20,
    2021 at 11:07 PM Dale &lt;<a href="mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com">rdalek1967@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Howdy all,<br>

I been using Ktorrent for several months now.  When I started using it,<br>
    it used only a few hundred megabytes of ram and was running for a week<br>
    or so without a restart.  It rarely even showed up in top when sorted by<br> memory usage.  Certainly true when several Firefox browser profiles are<br> open and running.  Recently tho, it is using a lot more memory.  Once it<br> was several GBs and I had to close and restart Ktorrent to clear it up. <br> It runs with a more normal memory usage for a while but then starts<br> building up again.  Once I get something downloaded, I copy it from the<br> folder it downloads to over to other directories where I rename and<br> organize things.  Only active downloads remain listed within Ktorrent. <br> This is from top. This is after less than a day of run time, likely<br>
    around 12 hours or so. <br>

PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+<br>
    COMMAND                                                                         <br>

5604 dale      20   0 3262804   1.0g  81648 S   0.0   3.3  45:40.05<br>
    /usr/bin/ktorrent<br>

This is my version and USE flags.<br>

[ebuild   R    ] net-p2p/ktorrent-21.08.3:5::gentoo  USE=&quot;bwscheduler<br>
    downloadorder handbook infowidget ipfilter logviewer magnetgenerator<br> mediaplayer scanfolder stats upnp webengine zeroconf -debug -rss<br>
    -shutdown -test&quot; 0 KiB<br>

Entries in /etc/portage for ktorrent:<br>

root@fireball / # grep -r ktorrent /etc/portage/<br> /etc/portage/package.use/package.use:net-p2p/ktorrent -search -shutdown -rss<br>
    root@fireball / #<br>

I checked and I&#39;m on the same version as I have been using since I<br> installed Ktorrent.  I suspect the problem may be a dependency of<br>
    Ktorrent and not Ktorrent itself, even tho it shows Ktorrent using the<br> memory.  I&#39;m not quite sure how that could be but since Ktorrent itself<br>
    hasn&#39;t changed, well, makes me wonder.<br>

Anyone else having this problem or have a idea of the cause?  Could it<br>
    be a USE flag that I can disable?  I can disable things I don&#39;t use if<br> needed.  Is it something Ktorrent depends on that is causing this?<br>

Ideas? Thoughts?<br>

Thanks.<br>

Dale<br>

:-)  :-) <br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dale@21:1/5 to computers with nikita nikita on Tue Dec 28 21:30:07 2021
    computers with nikita nikita wrote:
    I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a
    memory leak,
    have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a
    large number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht
    index (not sure what the proper terminology for this is)

You should double check your settings and make sure everything has
    sane limits

I've been playing with this a bit before replying.  There's not many
    options with ktorrent.  I did find a older version of libtorrent tho.  I downgraded to that.  It still increases at times but then seems to
    return a more normal amount.  It does act strange still but not as bad
    as it was.  I think you have the right idea tho.  It does seem to be a
    memory leak somewhere. 

I'll keep playing with this some more and post if I come up with anything. 

Thanks for the help.

Dale

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ny6p01@21:1/5 to computers with nikita nikita on Tue Dec 28 23:10:01 2021
    If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one that
    does. There are many good torrent apps out there.

Lee 😎

On Dec 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a
    memory leak,
    have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a
    large number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht
    index (not sure what the proper terminology for this is)

You should double check your settings and make sure everything has
    sane limits

I've been playing with this a bit before replying. There's not many
    options with ktorrent. I did find a older version of libtorrent tho. I downgraded to that. It still increases at times but then seems to
    return a more normal amount. It does act strange still but not as bad
    as it was. I think you have the right idea tho. It does seem to be a
    memory leak somewhere.

I'll keep playing with this some more and post if I come up with anything.

Thanks for the help.

Dale

<div id="edo-message"><div><div>If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one that does. There are many good torrent apps out there.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div id="edo-signature"><pre>Lee 😎</pre></div></div></div><div
    id="edo-original"><div><blockquote type="cite" style="margin:1ex 0 0 0!important;border-left:1px #ccc solid!important;padding-left:0.4ex!important"><div id="edo-meta">On Dec 28, 2021 at 12:28 PM, Dale &lt;<a href="mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com">rdalek1967@
    gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote: <br><br></div><pre>computers with nikita nikita wrote: <br>&gt; I dont use Ktorrent, While what you are describing sounds like a <br>&gt; memory leak,
    <br>&gt; have you considered it could be the active downloads connecting to a <br>&gt; large number of peers? Or it could be it building a very large dht <br>&gt; index (not sure what the proper terminology for this is)
    <br>&gt;
    <br>&gt; You should double check your settings and make sure everything has <br>&gt; sane limits
    <br>&gt;

<br>I&#39;ve been playing with this a bit before replying.  There&#39;s not many
    <br>options with ktorrent.  I did find a older version of libtorrent tho.  I <br>downgraded to that.  It still increases at times but then seems to <br>return a more normal amount.  It does act strange still but not as bad <br>as it was.  I think you have the right idea tho.  It does seem to be a <br>memory leak somewhere. 

<br>I&#39;ll keep playing with this some more and post if I come up with anything. 

<br>Thanks for the help.

<br>Dale

<br>:-)  :-) 

<br></pre></blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From computers with nikita nikita@21:1/5 to ny6p01@gmail.com on Wed Dec 29 00:50:01 2021
    I recommend qbittorrent (its qt so it should theme nicely with kde), it
    works really well IMO

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM ny6p01 <ny6p01@gmail.com> wrote:

If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one that
    does. There are many good torrent apps out there.

<div dir="ltr"><div>I recommend qbittorrent (its qt so it should theme nicely with kde), it works really well IMO<br></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM ny6p01 &lt;<a href="mailto:ny6p01@
    gmail.com">ny6p01@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div id="gmail-m_-864673073673710019edo-message"><div><div>If a tool is not
    working the way it should I chuck it and find one that does. There are many good torrent apps out there.</div></div></div></blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dale@21:1/5 to computers with nikita nikita on Wed Dec 29 02:40:03 2021
    I recommend qbittorrent (its qt so it should theme nicely with kde),
    it works really well IMO

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM ny6p01 <ny6p01@gmail.com <mailto:ny6p01@gmail.com>> wrote:

If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one
    that does. There are many good torrent apps out there.

I'm happy with Ktorrent.  I just want to figure out why it is using so
    much memory.  I did look at qbittorrent tho, screenshots anyway.  It
    seems to work the same way and even looks the same as Ktorrent.  Given I
    have Ktorrent already set up and a lengthy list of files for it to
    download, I'm not really wanting to switch.  If I can't figure out the
    memory leak or it gets worse, I may have to switch later on. 

Question just in case I do have to switch.  I click on links in Firefox
    to download torrents.  Right now it opens the files/imports/whatever to Ktorrent.  Can I do the same with qbittorrent?  From the looks of it, I suspect it works that way, and suspect other GUI software does as well. 

Thanks.

Dale

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From computers with nikita nikita@21:1/5 to rdalek1967@gmail.com on Wed Dec 29 03:00:02 2021
    Yes, you can open magnet links directly from your browser using qbittorrent,

I hope you'll be able to solve the memory leak though, good luck

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021, 5:40 PM Dale <rdalek1967@gmail.com> wrote:

I recommend qbittorrent (its qt so it should theme nicely with kde),
    it works really well IMO

On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM ny6p01 <ny6p01@gmail.com <mailto:ny6p01@gmail.com>> wrote:

If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one
    that does. There are many good torrent apps out there.

I'm happy with Ktorrent. I just want to figure out why it is using so
    much memory. I did look at qbittorrent tho, screenshots anyway. It
    seems to work the same way and even looks the same as Ktorrent. Given I
    have Ktorrent already set up and a lengthy list of files for it to
    download, I'm not really wanting to switch. If I can't figure out the
    memory leak or it gets worse, I may have to switch later on.

Question just in case I do have to switch. I click on links in Firefox
    to download torrents. Right now it opens the files/imports/whatever to Ktorrent. Can I do the same with qbittorrent? From the looks of it, I suspect it works that way, and suspect other GUI software does as well.

Thanks.

Dale

<div dir="auto"><div>Yes, you can open magnet links directly from your browser using qbittorrent,</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">I hope you&#39;ll be able to solve the memory leak though, good luck <br><br><div class="gmail_quote" dir="
    auto"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Dec 28, 2021, 5:40 PM Dale &lt;<a href="mailto:rdalek1967@gmail.com">rdalek1967@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-
    left:1ex">computers with nikita nikita wrote:<br>
    &gt; I recommend qbittorrent (its qt so it should theme nicely with kde),<br> &gt; it works really well IMO<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; On Tue, Dec 28, 2021 at 2:09 PM ny6p01 &lt;<a href="mailto:ny6p01@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">ny6p01@gmail.com</a><br>
    &gt; &lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:ny6p01@gmail.com" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer">ny6p01@gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;     If a tool is not working the way it should I chuck it and find one<br>
    &gt;     that does. There are many good torrent apps out there.<br>
    &gt;<br>

I&#39;m happy with Ktorrent.  I just want to figure out why it is using so<br> much memory.  I did look at qbittorrent tho, screenshots anyway.  It<br> seems to work the same way and even looks the same as Ktorrent.  Given I<br> have Ktorrent already set up and a lengthy list of files for it to<br> download, I&#39;m not really wanting to switch.  If I can&#39;t figure out the<br>
    memory leak or it gets worse, I may have to switch later on. <br>

Question just in case I do have to switch.  I click on links in Firefox<br>
    to download torrents.  Right now it opens the files/imports/whatever to<br> Ktorrent.  Can I do the same with qbittorrent?  From the looks of it, I<br> suspect it works that way, and suspect other GUI software does as well. <br>

Thanks.<br>

Dale<br>

:-)  :-) <br>

</blockquote></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05