• [gentoo-user] Mouse and hibernate

From William KENWORTHY@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 5 03:00:01 2023
    ------7XKPTQOIKAMWXRV1S1F77TIJEA2ADP
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

I have suspend/hibernate set up on a desktop ... it's been working fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer
    not to disable the mouse ... Is there an alternative?
    BillK

------7XKPTQOIKAMWXRV1S1F77TIJEA2ADP
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html><html><body>I have suspend/hibernate set up on a desktop ... it's been working fine for years. But recently,  it's been occaisionally coming out of suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my part.  I am
    suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the mouse ... Is there an alternative?<br>BillK<br></body></html>
    ------7XKPTQOIKAMWXRV1S1F77TIJEA2ADP--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From tastytea@21:1/5 to billk@iinet.net.au on Wed Apr 5 11:30:01 2023
    On 2023-04-05 08:54+0800 William KENWORTHY <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:

I have suspend/hibernate set up on a desktop ... it's been working
    fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my
    part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the
    mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK

Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to
    come out of suspension.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From William Kenworthy@21:1/5 to tastytea on Wed Apr 5 11:40:01 2023
    On 5/4/23 17:24, tastytea wrote:
    On 2023-04-05 08:54+0800 William KENWORTHY <billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:

fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of
    suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my
    part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the
    mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK
    Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to
    come out of suspension.

Unfortunately they are already off (the bios has PS2 settings) - the
    mouse is part of a keyboard/mouse set using a Logitech unifying USB
    dongle.  I can use a udev rule to turn off waking via the USB port, but
    I cant separate the mouse from the keyboard - and I need the keyboard
    enabled to wake the PC up.

BillK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Steinmetzger@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 12:50:01 2023
    Am Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 05:35:52PM +0800 schrieb William Kenworthy:

fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK
    Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to come out of suspension.

Unfortunately they are already off (the bios has PS2 settings) - the mouse
    is part of a keyboard/mouse set using a Logitech unifying USB dongle.  I can use a udev rule to turn off waking via the USB port, but I cant separate the mouse from the keyboard - and I need the keyboard enabled to wake the PC up.

Usually, Logitech mice have a switch on the bottom to physically turn them
    on or off. Usually I use that to circumvent wake-on-USB, rather than pulling out the USB wart.

--
    Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
    Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Someone who asks is a fool for five minutes.
    Someone who never asks is a fool his entire life.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEVbE9o2D2lE5fhoVsizG+tUDUMMoFAmQuo7YACgkQizG+tUDU MMoC8A//eZmYhpaagLDN7FOVMvrlZU00eZgdLRYNCs6Sw2htsAJjwzA6gyH82dRy vtjbexapgRVCl11n45zl/SBwpW+SGyd2Agy3LKMhJtYFkMw+mEKysyzw27D2j17C iNnGU8YUsIB2vgdSbtjTIsbvwmGg0TJ7CvI5rYGLjJk3MJuFFxknLNKbiqO85e3k 4+f3Ir/SiEpzJcv0wuS4+i308Blw12jeBEjDyCT8EIPMtrWQKuODJILvbXwsayE7 OKcttWgIzSQSttSi9KkxPIDGKr2GwDDy8BYvymoEnfanNf0Bh+wX5P/CxvUs+kAV ZPRhV8i1zBEgvCBfqzAsr0LU+yZieFTlEvUX6KiFPM/skEUyP1kDIukPOdAPIuKB qZK18uoUO6j91BF63SdzU5FDWzmdLipqjjedQgIDejREBqc2spnp1Q6s43qxnIzZ ++obWHC2et97P9LfwE3qH8fboqA0onXBmuHSyzasq8WNvMjoVaffsfVsudP3zR94 XLgiTT9aTxq4hV2xJRAQ4EIZkhcdDSni1dH723LyX7dPek4bVE81j4bBuO0ZW2jd LmdsERnQc5TFPvlAKp1K0um2ehkeuCcPwOWGu1pYbBLPwut0JwP1rOLz7I4mRc4w gMp550gQWMVFAtfeTmFQG430QOG3Hc7c+vCHoBJxitInh6Nu010
  • From William Kenworthy@21:1/5 to Michael on Thu Apr 6 14:10:01 2023
    On 6/4/23 19:20, Michael wrote:
    On Thursday, 6 April 2023 11:49:29 BST Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
    fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of >>>>> suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my >>>>> part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the >>>>> mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK
    Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to >>>> come out of suspension.
    Unfortunately they are already off (the bios has PS2 settings) - the mouse >>> is part of a keyboard/mouse set using a Logitech unifying USB dongle. I >>> can use a udev rule to turn off waking via the USB port, but I cant
    separate the mouse from the keyboard - and I need the keyboard enabled to >>> wake the PC up.
    Usually, Logitech mice have a switch on the bottom to physically turn them >> on or off. Usually I use that to circumvent wake-on-USB, rather than pulling >> out the USB wart.
    Have a look in '/sys/devices/.../power/wakeup files' to see if tweaking sys files can stop your USB mouse waking up the OS:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.1/driver-api/pm/devices.html#interfaces-for-entering-system-sleep-states

the above seems like a dead end - the mouse and keyboard share the usb device through the Logitech Unifying Receiver - they are not broken out at that level so disabling USB disables both ... and I need the keyboard to bring it out of suspend.

I think there are actually two problems ... any mouse movement immediately after clicking the button seems to be cached and triggers a resume within a few seconds after suspending and even a slight movement of the mouse at any time triggers a resume.
    Its an optical mouse, so movements are generated if you pick it up to turn it off so that's out. All I have been able to do is to position it out of the way, carefully click the button and immediately leave it alone ... this mostly works :(

This over-sensitive behaviour seems to have started with later 5.15 kernels and has become annoyingly worse with 6.1 - before that it seemed to have a threshold before it would resume, but thats probably just my imagination now its bugging me :)

I am starting to wonder if its a "just me" problem.

BillK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 13:30:01 2023
    fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK

Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to come out of suspension.

Unfortunately they are already off (the bios has PS2 settings) - the mouse is part of a keyboard/mouse set using a Logitech unifying USB dongle. I can use a udev rule to turn off waking via the USB port, but I cant separate the mouse from the keyboard - and I need the keyboard enabled to wake the PC up.
    Usually, Logitech mice have a switch on the bottom to physically turn them
    on or off. Usually I use that to circumvent wake-on-USB, rather than pulling out the USB wart.

Have a look in '/sys/devices/.../power/wakeup files' to see if tweaking sys files can stop your USB mouse waking up the OS:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.1/driver-api/pm/devices.html#interfaces-for-entering-system-sleep-states

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 6 14:20:01 2023
    On Thursday, 6 April 2023 13:04:34 BST William Kenworthy wrote:
    On 6/4/23 19:20, Michael wrote:
    I have suspend/hibernate set up on a desktop ... it's been working >>>>> fine for years. But recently, it's been occaisionally coming out of >>>>> suspension some time after suspension without any intervention on my >>>>> part. I am suspecting the mouse - I would prefer not to disable the >>>>> mouse ... Is there an alternative? BillK

Often there are options in the BIOS/UEFI to choose what can cause it to >>>> come out of suspension.

Unfortunately they are already off (the bios has PS2 settings) - the
    mouse
    is part of a keyboard/mouse set using a Logitech unifying USB dongle. I >>> can use a udev rule to turn off waking via the USB port, but I cant
    separate the mouse from the keyboard - and I need the keyboard enabled >>> to
    wake the PC up.

Usually, Logitech mice have a switch on the bottom to physically turn
    them
    on or off. Usually I use that to circumvent wake-on-USB, rather than
    pulling out the USB wart.

Have a look in '/sys/devices/.../power/wakeup files' to see if tweaking
    sys
    files can stop your USB mouse waking up the OS:

https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v6.1/driver-api/pm/devices.html#interfaces -for-entering-system-sleep-states
    the above seems like a dead end - the mouse and keyboard share the usb
    device through the Logitech Unifying Receiver - they are not broken out at that level so disabling USB disables both ... and I need the keyboard to bring it out of suspend.

I think there are actually two problems ... any mouse movement immediately after clicking the button seems to be cached and triggers a resume within a few seconds after suspending and even a slight movement of the mouse at any time triggers a resume. Its an optical mouse, so movements are generated
    if you pick it up to turn it off so that's out. All I have been able to do is to position it out of the way, carefully click the button and
    immediately leave it alone ... this mostly works :(

This over-sensitive behaviour seems to have started with later 5.15 kernels and has become annoyingly worse with 6.1 - before that it seemed to have a threshold before it would resume, but thats probably just my imagination
    now its bugging me :)

I am starting to wonder if its a "just me" problem.

BillK

Heh! I suspect this behaviour annoys more people than just you. We use desks where the keyboard and separate mouse are both stored on a sliding tray under the desk. Putting the PC on sleep and carelessly sliding the tray under the desk causes the mouse to move and with it an unwanted wake up event. Other jobs took priority and have not looked into a fix for it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matt Connell@21:1/5 to William Kenworthy on Thu Apr 6 16:00:01 2023
    On Thu, 2023-04-06 at 20:04 +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
    I need the keyboard to bring it out of suspend.

Forgive a naive question that I only ask because it hasn't come up yet:
    is the power buttonan option to wake the machine?

Everyone has their own preferred workflow and I've always just disabled
    USB wake entirely to avoid accidental waking, and then just tap the
    power button instead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05