• [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] NAS and replacing with larger drives

From Peter Humphrey@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 15:30:01 2022
    On Friday, 9 December 2022 13:38:32 GMT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

...I never really bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These days, if I find something interesting, I download the show form the TV channel’s website (called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek, meaning library). Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably worse than what I receive via DVB-T.

I do nearly the opposite: I record every TV programme I want to watch, then watch it at my leisure. That way I can skip through all the adverts, which I loathe [1]. Freesat in the UK allows recording of radio series as well, which Sky cannot do, so it's easy to capture late-night series and listen to them at my convenience. I have something like 600 radio programmes on my satellite box.

1. Mind you, UK TV adverts are nowhere near as gross as the screeching horrors I was subjected to in Minneapolis 30 years ago.

--
    Regards,
    Peter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Steinmetzger@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 9 15:40:01 2022
    Am Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 02:27:07PM +0000 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
    On Friday, 9 December 2022 13:38:32 GMT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:

...I never really bothered with live TV recordings in recent years. These days, if I find something interesting, I download the show form the TV channel’s website (called Mediathek in Germany, a word play on Bibliothek,
    meaning library). Interestingly though, the picture quality is noticably worse than what I receive via DVB-T.

I do nearly the opposite: I record every TV programme I want to watch, then watch it at my leisure.

This summer I bought my first TV ever since I live on my own – after about
    20 years of not having one. I haven’t missed TV and still don’t (just wanted
    a bigger screen for movies played from the PC and to relax on the couch in
    the evening).

That way I can skip through all the adverts, which I loathe [1].

Who doesn’t? With my little antenna, I get all the public stations with good quality and no ads, but I don’t care for the encrypted private, ad-financed channels for which I need to pay a yearly fee these days (on top of the mandatory public TV “tax”).

Freesat in the UK allows recording of radio series as well, which Sky
    cannot do, so it's easy to capture late-night series and listen to them at
    my convenience. I have something like 600 radio programmes on my satellite box.

Ooof, I listen to podcasts and can barely keep up, time-wise. To have a conneciton to the original topic: I still have lots of movies and series on
    the NAS which I haven’t even started to watch.

1. Mind you, UK TV adverts are nowhere near as gross as the screeching horrors I was subjected to in Minneapolis 30 years ago.

I can only imagine.

--
    Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
    Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

Bees aren’t at all hard working, they just can’t fly any slower.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEVbE9o2D2lE5fhoVsizG+tUDUMMoFAmOTSFQACgkQizG+tUDU MMoE0g/+OfLaXX2KRnx6YP0J5Izi0KrPVGdhFXypTiLTy2GiYFO1kJMDiHvWv8u2 RntER6oILc0FFksgm1Exv/0n6z04Zwu4zE+ENXYbIbt5Jb0/uuKZiAddoRMPrYS7 /T3DuJfd9dGqc22YTKUVYKycuC8E1wzdWQS7lLeKp/AG4jxhEdfRfSnk7xGdhPD8 BfhQNcNXtbajacA2BVM6ty3tY6AtpkbU+3P46HD96zf2FJNKRphBDix/7mxhb7xm Q4DlfI4E2HlEdoJP4v4a/FS+WPYCy2S9TS0Uj5vnXJcFNzq3+vrC9TXMvYhEdmIc m5LsnPxnjdqXOvHjSOmXWmWsneYSQkAr6j4LN6PwlmHG4qC1k9cPGRgjeyrAyd6i rgdgGL/ji2NenYEaZKzS4UMHT3mwTiYpbcGDEtx1ehY2AkAvy9hItP5bLZ2P1BgV CtUjOQk6SzTXjD0/XDzVpnW8fkqEPcx8ig4TPbQPrlhtvodGcVNSnJfeLFioW0bE FUrikyqjXPY1a4dkZ92sPkK22nDGZGKERYFeKIJR3NAimzsnE63/EiuoNM8AwjNx 3LQU7gNHr8+WeukiPmnGQvZC/xpLkyROAj4khpC9ATcbppXLk3Ex6UdRQpXkY03g sl8LmfbYhq9yB7ybe/O/j2BpD5DmaMoXs7u86GS9IYu7ko4zreY=
    =QtKx
    -----END
  • From Peter Humphrey@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 10 01:50:01 2022
    On Friday, 9 December 2022 14:38:14 GMT Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
    Am Fri, Dec 09, 2022 at 02:27:07PM +0000 schrieb Peter Humphrey:

I can only imagine.

Actually, I doubt you can unless you've experienced something like it - in which case I sympathise. :)

--
    Regards,
    Peter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Humphrey@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 11 12:40:01 2022
    On Friday, 9 December 2022 10:34:00 GMT I wrote:

in the 1970s the national grid was monitored and analysed with a Ferranti Argus 500 machine with 24KB RAM and a 2MB disk. It was common for
    American visitors to believe that was just driving the control engineers' displays, and where was the main computer?

Er... There was no RAM in those days, not of the type we know today. In fact
    it was 2-microsecond core store. Each tiny ferromagnetic toroid was threaded with one X wire, one Y wire and (I think it was) a sync pulse wire. A remarkable labour of love to build such a thing.

--
    Regards,
    Peter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05