• Re: [SOLVED] Pipewire not a dependency?

From Michael@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 10:47:01 2022
    On Saturday, 1 October 2022 19:32:11 BST Daniel Sonck wrote:
    On zaterdag 1 oktober 2022 19:11:19 CEST Wol wrote:
    On 01/10/2022 17:56, Michael wrote:
    Anyway, I ventured into pipewire because I wanted to see if Skype would work without pulseaudio and in this system it won't. After I manually installed pipewire Skype won't access the microphone. 🙁

I've got some vague feeling that pipewire is designed to happily sit
    under pulseaudio. The design aim was to replace both Jack and pulseaudio but it basically just presents a sound device to the layers above, so
    just like you can stack block devices for disk access, you can stack
    jack, pulseaudio and pipewire for sound.

Well, it is actually designed as a drop-in replacement and won't present audio devices in the sense pulseaudio wants to receive it. I guess it would theoretically be possible to use pulseaudio's jack sink to talk to
    pipewire, but pipewire has the full pulseaudio interface for pulseaudio applications.

At the moment only some applications support PipeWire's native API, but most support PulseAudio's API. When you come across an application like Skype which expects PulseAudio, the solution is to enable USE="sound-server pipewire-alsa" for PipeWire and in addition to PipeWire also install media- libs/libpulse. No other PulseAudio packages are needed.

Thereafter an application requiring PulseAudio uses PipeWire, the latter emulating PulseAudio's server by using PulseAudio's API via libpulse.

I applied the above and now the microphone in Skype works again. I assume the same applies to other PulseAudio friendly applications, which won't play nicely with PipeWire only. I suppose at some point PulseAudio will be completely replaced by PipeWire and applications will update their code accordingly.
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEXqhvaVh2ERicA8Ceseqq9sKVZxkFAmM5XhUACgkQseqq9sKV ZxkCoxAAxTPexcG1SMtKjYKIP2w/hv70TKt5iHq2p9rQnaWvfojON2R4BzqNz8ku zGO97afFt+j1uMwAfQxK8g82k2QHkRYVPbRGcmmMm5sBXpCiFqGnsCnKInGWjjah znI8bojWhdwz+EMH3TPosf4L9bOzCgxtR9nhNMg+UQGviUwr0Q/YfNafWV2daCUQ 7u8BDC+BYFpgQ0+lp9BILNgs17mbWE9BBpuaRRGwQkb8vONGLegHDfPrwS2/oCC3 oGSbAuoe8u4ZbPh140quYmMwphJLfx5rjVPOuASkR9j+FVEww2WJrYJHTCfk4Zbm G18+nsAe+za8Q20802vMq6EvuzJpaSxxoTxOGKT4vWelvuEDUo8o8jPZmYaxXbT7 aWp2M0rumsEXwINIXyhy19OCSerppMRWNgqzT/ptfJ+gyo6YCHTlv7USVrUSAX8b N2ACkCr5HhyaSreSxletdvNEalTdSv4Th9/FDWO7ydGZPYVgKiOf3Af7b5WQRqmk VswR1vm3ft9T85bu9tOsWVyVMVOTza5sErBl07BoDUGxqB7wTH63kgOv75scktwj xyPGl8uRmbnin7noaA36ZRy5z6ezgffI8jYadFIBq5nzeaSJUwVOSU8fSVaG1jB1 AA2Vs4xrqpfFPW/xLJSgSwx6V/dsMLfS4Rh8J2ijfSIXHDJBY0s=
    =EuWp
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)