• Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Full battery laptop only 1 hour

From Mark Knecht@21:1/5 to nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt on Mon Sep 12 23:00:01 2022
    On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:40 PM Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

On 2022-09-12, Guillermo García wrote:

Hello guys,

I bought a laptop and i got like 4 hours of batter life, everything
    ok, (using more than 1 vm, etc), however now in idle my laptop has
    only 1 hour of life, which is really annoying because its a brand new laptop bought one year before.

Did anything change? Is this the same system/install which used to last
    4 hours on idle? Or, when you say "brand new bought one year before",
    you mean it wasn't used before?

--
    Nuno Silva

Battery life can change over time. I've had batteries that after a couple of years just didn't last as long. I've purchased a few replacement batteries
    from Amazon and one of them didn't hold charge at all.

1 year is pretty short but possibly he might buy a new battery as
    a test. They generally aren't overly expensive.

Or how about booting just to a console and testing how long
    the machine stays up?

<div dir="ltr"><br><br>On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:40 PM Nuno Silva &lt;<a href="mailto:nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt">nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt</a>&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; On 2022-09-12, Guillermo García wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; &gt; Hello guys,<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt;
    &gt; I bought a laptop and i got like 4 hours of batter life, everything<br>&gt; &gt; ok, (using more than 1 vm, etc), however now in idle my laptop has<br>&gt; &gt; only 1 hour of life, which is really annoying because its a brand new<br>&gt; &gt;
    laptop bought one year before.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Did anything change? Is this the same system/install which used to last<br>&gt; 4 hours on idle? Or, when you say &quot;brand new bought one year before&quot;,<br>&gt; you mean it wasn&#39;t used before?<br>&
    gt;<br>&gt; --<br>&gt; Nuno Silva<br>&gt;<br><div><br></div><div>Battery life can change over time. I&#39;ve had batteries that after a couple of</div><div>years just didn&#39;t last as long. I&#39;ve purchased a few replacement batteries</div><div>from
    Amazon and one of them didn&#39;t hold charge at all.</div><div><br></div><div>1 year is pretty short but possibly he might buy a new battery as</div><div>a test. They generally aren&#39;t overly expensive.</div><div><br></div><div>Or how about booting
    just to a console and testing how long</div><div>the machine stays up?</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Nuno Silva@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 12 22:50:02 2022

Hello guys,

only 1 hour of life, which is really annoying because its a brand new
    laptop bought one year before.

--
    Nuno Silva

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Steinmetzger@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 01:50:01 2022
    Am Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 01:51:39PM -0700 schrieb Mark Knecht:
    On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 1:40 PM Nuno Silva <nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt> wrote:

Hello guys,

only 1 hour of life, which is really annoying because its a brand new laptop bought one year before.

--
    Nuno Silva

Battery life can change over time. I've had batteries that after a couple of years just didn't last as long. I've purchased a few replacement batteries from Amazon and one of them didn't hold charge at all.

My Thinkpad is 6¼ years old and the batteries it shipped with are at 72 and
    75 % of their original capacity. But I didn’t use them *that* much, and always kept them betweet 40 and 80 % charge when I didn’t need them, which
    is probably 98 % of the year.

1 year is pretty short but possibly he might buy a new battery as
    a test. They generally aren't overly expensive.

I don’t believe that they went down to 25 % of their original capacity
    within a year. To achieve that, they must have endured unspeakable abuse.

--
    Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
    Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

The three main languages in India: Hindi, English and HTML.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEVbE9o2D2lE5fhoVsizG+tUDUMMoFAmMhFi0ACgkQizG+tUDU MMoNTBAAgfhK98LMRV8AXq1y9UfMu02VCbGY+YePR12mo66XwmUQntSSDGCa4e4+ GmobxzPH21FVsOJF0gzbs/e5zJpyhGV22j5dZxE+kzKIk/KxrAnD/TJ7yNRu+YQr iVHQD5xSO21pcJWUBTfdRptGzmpwLqxP30KlX0dtc9cLA8mmxAQPWzcfjengpbqa KpldBgyV8WQoQ4J+gu69jJYlZnydd3LTMxDPxprdqfISQzo6PcgUGrWMHBKfHiR0 wAV6EWthw2chGJu3CXa8zLLopc6l0e4cJM0lzykvJ3RR0hFquy97pn2UePO/O5Lt bNyciml3XGthMRkoEuQdA6pUkPeZRk7jDLkpjs//lar3FkuEMoqTibEln+SCkdA0 wlG2Di1od6XLtMUizLrRayRUUQ9izussM5UrjPZpmvuL0XTeTi8F34Fy5IOKuZRs x+P1ELO5G9SVsRwTJncAao1/iAYPwqlqAl7AopFxSErSc/3pc/yhTseEyh8TYZVz 1aq6uR57ZINYjSmIlQiIOJL0nu8gtfj3VSVrnFy0W1Uw1rV9ivQntGwyq4VeqW98 thkbg7bG5Ho3/aJjCBBaTIFuJE29In3oQZjgVQ6APWPZvhBc596S8fLsFT1JIlXX 18NGf03jJV5jfT2qsjvYylH3ZzyZ7Zd4BEGhfW1QPM9IABaUHAk=
    =Yfy/
    -----END PGP SIGNA
  • From Michael@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 15 19:01:04 2022
    On Thursday, 15 September 2022 18:10:39 BST Laurence Perkins wrote:
    Note that most batteries these days in anything more complex than a watch have "smart" charge controllers and so upower or similar can read what
    their design watt-hours and current maximum capacity are. Also, often the total charge or discharge rate. That plus a little math should tell you if it's an aging battery or if your machine is simply failing to idle down for some reason.

LMP

Larger capacity batteries have multiple banks in them connected in parallel. Some times one of the banks or its controller(?) fails and while the rest continue to work, the loss in capacity is a noticeable step change. I recall suddenly losing ~1/3 of the battery capacity on a laptop just 3 or so happy years into its life. The remaining of the battery capacity continued to degrade slowly and gradually over many years. So notwithstanding the high consumption identified by the OP the software causes of which should be investigated, there could be also a problem with the battery unit itself.

BTW, short & frequent top ups of lithium-ion batteries is the best approach to their charging, while deep discharge can guarantee a shorter effective life.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEEXqhvaVh2ERicA8Ceseqq9sKVZxkFAmMjaGAACgkQseqq9sKV ZxlIHRAAjr+CVrrdjDfA1dqnPlQRGfD0ySofQmi3pX4m7Lq/mYTkkmGVIjJP55lK Cy8trBw+qEQB6XmrmEvnNNi6UiIYyyOeH4p9BGhfSnPRgKN8TFSCoTmkDs/9WimW dwkoLFOrGuuedlgm0g+xiQdU9qejwtbnAjrBTgqeNokQMX5xskFcVVYWqdNHHUVe xBtcP9AlxTrNUF5wuR6Ra6Fpp4fX3jPoQbqGetUkNKjv8zjoF5z89mnvykezzxoH u3yrk22Oqy2Madex6A5OTcW4mswqFBf8BMPDXtU5yCQTjX5PT5HFEychec36iAXw yrXfxMAP0zKSqMFXEev1BG37/yWdOh0KWrAm8N1YD38tEueis28ihXGEM2peH2v5 XWWfbAEfZERiBLfNrQiJFczBQaMLpswx1BYAZv8gDRKisI7SkhWZW8hNZOWB5Jip Jrbob0pihX+FINF/CDvhmnDiE8l2YxEvplGGajWD6Msg+Ybp41ors2/nuCEQymd1 74sbelz6jfleJUosiYnKXkvFe1cNfQFEBEuYRgC1+S2/AELO8YHLr33yH20sd6bx y7QxR7NSA8p/mYashUTiUzUyHW+g73PDn+cmnIjMtaGoQxoYvmg/ueyXT3eovBx5 //QNxkDiM8p3xDwDEtIFNR+V+gkFIttk89D2IWqvovqajYvnaXw=
    =f8oM
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05