• Re: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series

From Mark Knecht@21:1/5 to antlists@youngman.org.uk on Thu Jan 20 21:20:02 2022
    Glad I wasn't the only person who was thinking this...

Cheers,
    Mark

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 1:14 PM Wol <antlists@youngman.org.uk> wrote:

Given that anybody with half a clue knows NEVER to open unsolicited attachments, I'm verging on thinking it's phishing. Anyways, I'm THAT
    close to setting up an auto-delete rule on anything from him. The email address feels spammy, too ...

Cheers,
    Wol

On 20/01/2022 19:57, Laurence Perkins wrote:
    Anybody know if these are phishing attempts or just cluelessness? They all seem to be coming from the same email address, so if we think it's the former we should probably block it.

If it's the latter, then would the sender please give us some context about what you're hoping to get for a reply? None of these things are particularly interesting to much of anyone on this list I expect.

LMP

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 11:27 AM
    To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
    Subject: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series

CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

Hello Gentoo Users Developers!

I would like to share, contribute my Encryption / Decryption algorithm.

It uses + -, and bitwise xor to encrypt data.

See the attached files.

The last is the CryptEaseSuper-MAX the use 8 x ( 8 x 2) 2 ^ 64 bit integer to encrypt / decrypt information.

Sincerely xbx.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Wol@21:1/5 to Laurence Perkins on Thu Jan 20 21:20:03 2022
    Given that anybody with half a clue knows NEVER to open unsolicited attachments, I'm verging on thinking it's phishing. Anyways, I'm THAT
    close to setting up an auto-delete rule on anything from him. The email
    address feels spammy, too ...

Cheers,
    Wol

Anybody know if these are phishing attempts or just cluelessness? They all seem to be coming from the same email address, so if we think it's the former we should probably block it.

If it's the latter, then would the sender please give us some context about what you're hoping to get for a reply? None of these things are particularly interesting to much of anyone on this list I expect.

LMP

CAUTION: This is an EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

See the attached files.

The last is the CryptEaseSuper-MAX the use 8 x ( 8 x 2) 2 ^ 64 bit integer to encrypt / decrypt information.

Sincerely xbx.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Julien Roy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 22:00:01 2022
    I have opened the kernel.config file he sent (from within a container) out of curiosity, and it's a legitimate .config file, so it does seem to be a clueless user, or perhaps someone training a GPT bot...
    He does not seem subscribed to this mailing list otherwise he might've replied to the other emails in this chain.
    In my case, if it keeps going, I will just add a rule to block him, since he does send a lot of them...

Julien

Jan 20, 2022, 20:40 by lperkins@openeye.net:

Yeah, the only reason I even bother to ask instead of just trashing them all is that it's doing a decent job of seeming like a clueless noob who barely knows English trying to start a discussion. So if that's the case then they should take this one
    chance to say so clearly and distinctly.

But it's probably just a phishing program by someone who thinks they understand computers.

Is there a virus scanner checking the list attachments for blatant things at least?

LMP

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 12:14 PM
    Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series

Given that anybody with half a clue knows NEVER to open unsolicited attachments, I'm verging on thinking it's phishing. Anyways, I'm THAT close to setting up an auto-delete rule on anything from him. The email address feels spammy, too ...

Cheers,
    Wol

LMP

See the attached files.

Sincerely xbx.

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    <div>I have opened the kernel.config file he sent (from within a container) out of curiosity, and it's a legitimate .config file, so it does seem to be a clueless user, or perhaps someone training a GPT bot...<br></div><div dir="auto">He does not seem
    subscribed to this mailing list otherwise he might've replied to the other emails in this chain.<br></div><div dir="auto">In my case, if it keeps going, I will just add a rule to block him, since he does send a lot of them...<br></div><div dir="auto"><br>
    </div><div>Julien<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Jan 20, 2022, 20:40 by lperkins@openeye.net:<br></div><blockquote class="tutanota_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid #93A3B8; padding-left: 10px; margin-left: 5px;"><div>Yeah,
    the only reason I even bother to ask instead of just trashing them all is that it's doing a decent job of seeming like a clueless noob who barely knows English trying to start a discussion. So if that's the case then they should take this one chance to
    say so clearly and distinctly.<br></div><div><br></div><div>But it's probably just a phishing program by someone who thinks they understand computers.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Is there a virus scanner checking the list attachments for blatant things
    at least?<br></div><div><br></div><div>LMP<br></div><div><br></div><div>-----Original Message-----<br></div><div>From: Wol &lt;antlists@youngman.org.uk&gt; <br></div><div>Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 12:14 PM<br></div><div>To: gentoo-user@lists.
    gentoo.org<br></div><div>Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series<br></div><div><br></div><div>Given that anybody with half a clue knows NEVER to open unsolicited attachments, I'm verging on thinking it's phishing. Anyways, I'm THAT close to setting
    up an auto-delete rule on anything from him. The email address feels spammy, too ...<br></div><div><br></div><div>Cheers,<br></div><div>Wol<br></div><div><br></div><div>On 20/01/2022 19:57, Laurence Perkins wrote:<br></div><blockquote><div>Anybody know
    if these are phishing attempts or just cluelessness? They all seem to be coming from the same email address, so if we think it's the former we should probably block it.<br></div><div><br></div><div>If it's the latter, then would the sender please give
    us some context about what you're hoping to get for a reply? None of these things are particularly interesting to much of anyone on this list I expect.<br></div><div><br></div><div>LMP<br></div><div><br></div><div>-----Original Message-----<br></div><
    From: xbx &lt;xbx7336@gmail.com&gt;<br></div><div>Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 11:27 AM<br></div><div>To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org<br></div><div>Subject: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series<br></div><div><br></div><div>CAUTION: This is an
    EXTERNAL email. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Hello Gentoo Users Developers!<br></div><div><br></div><div>I would like to share, contribute my Encryption /
    Decryption algorithm.<br></div><div><br></div><div>It uses + -, and bitwise xor to encrypt data.<br></div><div><br></div><div>See the attached files.<br></div><div><br></div><div>The last is the CryptEaseSuper-MAX the use 8 x ( 8 x 2) 2 ^ 64 bit integer
    to encrypt / decrypt information.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Sincerely xbx.<br></div></blockquote></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div> </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From netfab@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 20 21:20:03 2022
    Le 20/01/22 à 19:57, Laurence Perkins a tapoté :
    Anybody know if these are phishing attempts or just cluelessness?

https://bugs.gentoo.org/831625

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Knecht@21:1/5 to julien@jroy.ca on Thu Jan 20 22:30:02 2022
    Or perhaps it's a long-game being played where someone gets you used
    to thinking he's a good guy only to send something in a few months
    that really hurts someone.

I've simply sent the email address to my trash bin.

Mark

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 1:51 PM Julien Roy <julien@jroy.ca> wrote:

I have opened the kernel.config file he sent (from within a container) out of curiosity, and it's a legitimate .config file, so it does seem to be a clueless user, or perhaps someone training a GPT bot...
    He does not seem subscribed to this mailing list otherwise he might've replied to the other emails in this chain.
    In my case, if it keeps going, I will just add a rule to block him, since he does send a lot of them...

Julien

Jan 20, 2022, 20:40 by lperkins@openeye.net:

Yeah, the only reason I even bother to ask instead of just trashing them all is that it's doing a decent job of seeming like a clueless noob who barely knows English trying to start a discussion. So if that's the case then they should take this one
    chance to say so clearly and distinctly.

But it's probably just a phishing program by someone who thinks they understand computers.

Is there a virus scanner checking the list attachments for blatant things at least?

LMP

Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2022 12:14 PM
    Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Crypt Ease Series

Given that anybody with half a clue knows NEVER to open unsolicited attachments, I'm verging on thinking it's phishing. Anyways, I'm THAT close to setting up an auto-delete rule on anything from him. The email address feels spammy, too ...

Cheers,
    Wol

LMP

See the attached files.

Sincerely xbx.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05