• [gentoo-user] What is the difference between emerge's --changed-deps=y

From =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?=@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 10 02:10:01 2022
    On a freshly updated system (emerge -uDN @world):

"emerge @changed-deps" wants to reinstall 0 packages.

"emerge -u --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 24 packages.

"emerge -uD --changed-deps=y" wants to reinstall 181 packages.

A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.

Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.

Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?

Regards
    Morgan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Lee K@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 10 07:50:01 2022
    On Mon, Jan 10, 2022 at 01:59:13AM +0100, Morgan Wesström wrote:

A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any
    updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in
    such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.

Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I
    assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.

Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
    what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?

Regards
    Morgan

Don't know if it's relevant or not but recently upstream deprecated the "KERNEL" USE flag, resulting in many rebuilds for packages.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hitachi303@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jan 10 10:20:01 2022
    Am 10.01.22 um 07:44 schrieb Lee K:

A couple of years ago there was a build breakage in Portage because, as I
    understood it at the time, some developer changed the dependencies in an
    existing ebuild without bumping its revision level. The solution was to use >> --changed-deps=y to catch these occurrences and I've been using it in my
    regular update routine since then. But as you can see in the third example >> above, it usually wants to reinstall hundreds of packages that doesn't have any
    updated versions and I'm wondering if this is working as intended. I have a >> hard time believing that gentoo devs are pushing changes to existing ebuilds in
    such numbers on a regular basis without bumping the revision level.

Some time ago I became aware that Portage now has a @changed-deps set, which I
    assumed was accomplishing the same thing, but it doesn't produce the same
    result as --changed-deps=y - usually just a dozen reinstalls or so.

Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is >> between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
    what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other >> kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?

Regards
    Morgan

Don't know if it's relevant or not but recently upstream deprecated the "KERNEL" USE flag, resulting in many rebuilds for packages.

I don't think so. "N" should have taken care of this.

from the man:
    --newuse, -N Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags
    have changed since compilation. [...]

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?=@21:1/5 to Lee K on Mon Jan 10 12:20:02 2022
    On 2022-01-10 07:44, Lee K wrote:
    Can someone please elaborate on what's going on here, what the difference is >> between --changed-deps=y and @changed-deps, if that difference is intended and
    what the recommended update procedure is these days to catch these and other >> kinds of inconsistencies in Portage?

Thank you, Lee, but that was just a coincidental change. The changed-deps behaviour has been going on since I've started using it in my update routine several years ago. It's a little tiresome when emerge wants to recompile libreoffice and firefox every time I update my system and I'd like to understand in more detail what these parameters do so I can judge the necessity of using them to keep my installation in a consistent state.

Regards
    Morgan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05