• Update on Rage 128 support?

From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 15 17:10:01 2021
    On Apr 15, 2021, at 4:57 PM, Alex McKeever <alex.mckeever@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

It’s been a long time since I last heard anything on this. I’d like to run Linux on my G3 iMac in some form (after some experimentation with the few leopard betas that can be hacked to run on here), and Ubuntu 16.04 is not a good option today. I
    tried Adelie and Void-ppc, but those are more involved than what Debian provides in terms of installation.
    (…)

So what is your question?

Are you wondering whether your particular hardware works? If yes, I don’t know, you have to give it a try yourself and reporting back.

Adrian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Alex McKeever@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 15 17:00:01 2021
    It’s been a long time since I last heard anything on this. I’d like to run Linux on my G3 iMac in some form (after some experimentation with the few leopard betas that can be hacked to run on here), and Ubuntu 16.04 is not a good option today. I
    tried Adelie and Void-ppc, but those are more involved than what Debian provides in terms of installation.

The last version/distribution the system ran smoothly that I last tried was Ubuntu 6.06 or 6.10, which are extremely old. In addition to this, I was limited to installing via alternate CD, due to the broken live environment.

Sent from my iPad

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 15 18:10:01 2021
    On Apr 15, 2021, at 5:53 PM, Alex McKeever <alex.mckeever@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

As in, are the drivers actually working now?

I don’t know. I know the drivers are back in Debian as Adrian Bunk is now maintaining them but I don’t know whether this particular bug has been fixed.

Just try it yourself and report back.

Adrian

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Riccardo Mottola@21:1/5 to Alex McKeever on Sun Apr 18 14:20:02 2021
    Hi,

On 4/15/21 5:53 PM, Alex McKeever wrote:
    As in, are the drivers actually working now? The last time we discussed this, someone built it and it didn’t seem to work. This effects all Linux distributions, including Adelie, which is a new distribution that uses an APK package format (not
    Android though).

Ii you tweak your Xorg by disabling a lot of stuff, it should work. I
    have ATI 64 working on my iBook G3... admitted, about 1 year ago it was
    working much better... I don't know if Adrian did some work lately
    though. I need to check if I have some x86 hardware with a Rage 128.
    Playing with 16bit 24bit, shadowFB and hardware mouse helps usually
    getting something decent out of these older cards.

A similar fate is suffering the S3 Virge, not used in any Mac, but used
    in prominent x86 laptops and I think also some Amiga PPC cards... wonder
    if Adrian works on them too?

Riccardo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Riccardo Mottola on Sun Apr 18 14:40:01 2021
    On 4/18/21 2:16 PM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:> Hi,

On 4/15/21 5:53 PM, Alex McKeever wrote:
    As in, are the drivers actually working now? The last time we discussed
    this, someone built it and it didn’t seem to work. This effects all Linux >> distributions, including Adelie, which is a new distribution that uses an
    APK package format (not Android though).

Well, I cannot just fix all the issues alone, there should be some other people helping me out. If Adelie has a PowerPC port, I would expect them to fix bugs as well and forward their patches upstream so that the issue gets fixed on all distributions.

Ii you tweak your Xorg by disabling a lot of stuff, it should work. I have ATI
    64 working on my iBook G3... admitted, about 1 year ago it was working much better... I don't know if Adrian did some work lately though.

There was no mach64 driver anymore in Debian one year ago. However, recently, Adrian Bunk adopted the driver and among others and it's now available for installation again.

I need to check if I have some x86 hardware with a Rage 128. Playing with 16bit
    24bit, shadowFB and hardware mouse helps usually getting something decent out of
    these older cards.

You should test on PowerPC and report bugs upstream if you find any if you want issue to get fixed.

A similar fate is suffering the S3 Virge, not used in any Mac, but used in prominent
    x86 laptops and I think also some Amiga PPC cards... wonder if Adrian works on them
    too?

Amiga PowerPC is a completely different platform and support for it is currently not
    even in the kernel.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05