• Current status on grub-installer on PowerMac

From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 14 10:00:01 2021
    Hello!

I have been working on getting the GRUB installation on PowerMacs fixed the past days which turned out to be far more tricky than I expected. As can be seen from the number of test images I have created so far [1], I have already been through quite a number of image rebuilds to get the grub-installer work correctly on PowerMac (ignore the timestamps in the folder names, the correct timestamps of the images can be seen from the creation date in the folder view).

The latest image is in the folder "hfstest-20210411-8" which I created this morning. This image is not tested yet, but it should actually work when looking at the script code itself [2] but it doesn't which is most likely attributed to a
    race condition.

The problem is that setting the correct file properties with the hattrib tool fails at the first attempt of installing the bootloader but succeeds when just reattempting to install the bootloader from the installer menu. So far, I have not been able to find out why, that will require more debugging.

If anyone wants to give it a try themselves, please fetch the image from [1] (so far I created a 32-bit image only) and see if it works for you.

Note: After selecting the partition layout, the partioning tool will present
    an empty question dialog which should be answered with <NO>. It's a known issue I will fix later, so just ignore it for now.

FWIW, I also found a number of bugs in GRUB on PowerMac itself while working
    on the problem. It turns out that GRUB does not set the proper openfirmware path in NVRAM pointing to the BootX script that it just installed. The script gets installed into :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX but grub-install (the upstream GRUB installation tool) just sets the path to :BootX.

Also, while GRUB's grub-install blesses the "CoreServices" folder, it does
    not set the "tbxi" attribute which means it's not possible to boot the disk with "boot hd:N,:\\tbxi" (N being the partition).

And, finally, GRUB's grub-install never substitutes the variable names "device" and "partition" in the boot script [3] it installs. They just remain as is on the disk which naturally means that grub-install currently cannot itself properly
    install GRUB on a PowerMac which is obviously a bug.

Adrian

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/tests/
    [2] https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/grub-installer.20210414
    [3] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/boot/powerpc/grub.chrp.in

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Wed Apr 14 12:10:01 2021
    Hello!

On 4/14/21 9:54 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
    The latest image is in the folder "hfstest-20210411-8" which I created this morning. This image is not tested yet, but it should actually work when looking
    at the script code itself [2] but it doesn't which is most likely attributed to a
    race condition.

The problem is that setting the correct file properties with the hattrib tool fails at the first attempt of installing the bootloader but succeeds when just
    reattempting to install the bootloader from the installer menu. So far, I have
    not been able to find out why, that will require more debugging.

The problem is most likely related to hattrib being run with the chroot command which probably messes around the weird virtual mounting mechanism that the tool uses.

The easiest fix would probably be to build a hfsutils-udeb package and run the necessary HFS commands outside the chroot. I will try that later today.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Wed Apr 14 14:00:01 2021
    Hi Mark!

On 4/14/21 1:45 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    On 14/04/2021 08:54, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Hello!

I have been working on getting the GRUB installation on PowerMacs fixed the >> past days which turned out to be far more tricky than I expected. As can be >> seen from the number of test images I have created so far [1], I have already
    been through quite a number of image rebuilds to get the grub-installer work >> correctly on PowerMac (ignore the timestamps in the folder names, the correct
    timestamps of the images can be seen from the creation date in the folder view).

Great work Adrian!

Thanks!

The latest image is in the folder "hfstest-20210411-8" which I created this >> morning. This image is not tested yet, but it should actually work when looking
    at the script code itself [2] but it doesn't which is most likely attributed to a
    race condition.

The problem is that setting the correct file properties with the hattrib tool
    fails at the first attempt of installing the bootloader but succeeds when just

If anyone wants to give it a try themselves, please fetch the image from [1] >> (so far I created a 32-bit image only) and see if it works for you.

Note: After selecting the partition layout, the partioning tool will present >> an empty question dialog which should be answered with <NO>. It's a known issue
    I will fix later, so just ignore it for now.

FWIW, I also found a number of bugs in GRUB on PowerMac itself while working >> on the problem. It turns out that GRUB does not set the proper openfirmware >> path in NVRAM pointing to the BootX script that it just installed. The script
    gets installed into :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX but grub-install (the >> upstream GRUB installation tool) just sets the path to :BootX.

I would expect this to work since BootX is simply the filename and so it is a relative path reference, presumably to the blessed CoreServices directory. Otherwise you'd end up using an absolute path in the form \path\to\BootX.

The problem was simply that the HFS filesystem had to be unmounted before accessing
    with hfsutils. It works now. Currently performing the final test.

Also, while GRUB's grub-install blesses the "CoreServices" folder, it does >> not set the "tbxi" attribute which means it's not possible to boot the disk >> with "boot hd:N,:\\tbxi" (N being the partition).

That should be an easy fix now that you've got hattrib working:

hattrib -t tbxi -c chrp path/to/BootX

Not sure why to pass "-c chrp" here as all the instructions I have seen for PowerMac pass "-c UNIX".

I'm curious as to how grub-install currently handles the blessing of the CoreServices
    directory for different filesystems - does it only attempt to bless the folder if it
    detects a HFS/HFS+ filesystem?

Seems so. See the grub-install source code.

Finally it may be worth noting that if you omit the partition number then the firmware
    will locate the first bootable partition itself which is the default value that OpenBIOS
    uses, e.g.

boot hd:,\\:tbxi

I'm just using the path provided by "opathname" as this way we can install onto any type
    of media instead of just hard disks.

And, finally, GRUB's grub-install never substitutes the variable names "device"
    and "partition" in the boot script [3] it installs. They just remain as is on
    the disk which naturally means that grub-install currently cannot itself properly

This shouldn't be needed. Having a look at grub.chrp.in from your link and ofboot.b
    on some old Fedora ISOs I have lying around, these files are all CHRP boot scripts
    i.e. XML surrounded by <CHRP-BOOT>...</CHRP-BOOT> tags.

IIRC it is part of the CHRP boot specification that the firmware substitutes the values
    for "&device;" and "&partition;" in <BOOT-SCRIPT>...</BOOT-SCRIPT> when reading the CHRP
    boot script into memory, and that's certainly what OpenBIOS does.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

I guess the real question is does Apple's OF do the right thing here? My feeling is that it
    does, since grub.chrp.in uses the hard-coded path \System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf
    which is a directory that only exists if grub is installed on a MacOS computer.

I can try removing the sed command from grub-installer again and see if that still works.

Currently, I have:

sed -i 's!&device;:&partition;!'"$ofpath"'!g' $ROOT/boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Wed Apr 14 13:50:02 2021
    On 14/04/2021 08:54, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Hello!

I have been working on getting the GRUB installation on PowerMacs fixed the past days which turned out to be far more tricky than I expected. As can be seen from the number of test images I have created so far [1], I have already been through quite a number of image rebuilds to get the grub-installer work correctly on PowerMac (ignore the timestamps in the folder names, the correct timestamps of the images can be seen from the creation date in the folder view).

Great work Adrian!

The latest image is in the folder "hfstest-20210411-8" which I created this morning. This image is not tested yet, but it should actually work when looking
    race condition.

The problem is that setting the correct file properties with the hattrib tool fails at the first attempt of installing the bootloader but succeeds when just

If anyone wants to give it a try themselves, please fetch the image from [1] (so far I created a 32-bit image only) and see if it works for you.

Note: After selecting the partition layout, the partioning tool will present an empty question dialog which should be answered with <NO>. It's a known issue
    I will fix later, so just ignore it for now.

FWIW, I also found a number of bugs in GRUB on PowerMac itself while working on the problem. It turns out that GRUB does not set the proper openfirmware path in NVRAM pointing to the BootX script that it just installed. The script gets installed into :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX but grub-install (the upstream GRUB installation tool) just sets the path to :BootX.

I would expect this to work since BootX is simply the filename and so it is a relative path reference, presumably to the blessed CoreServices directory. Otherwise
    you'd end up using an absolute path in the form \path\to\BootX.

Also, while GRUB's grub-install blesses the "CoreServices" folder, it does not set the "tbxi" attribute which means it's not possible to boot the disk with "boot hd:N,:\\tbxi" (N being the partition).

I'm curious as to how grub-install currently handles the blessing of the CoreServices
    directory for different filesystems - does it only attempt to bless the folder if it

Finally it may be worth noting that if you omit the partition number then the firmware will locate the first bootable partition itself which is the default value
    that OpenBIOS uses, e.g.

and "partition" in the boot script [3] it installs. They just remain as is on the disk which naturally means that grub-install currently cannot itself properly

This shouldn't be needed. Having a look at grub.chrp.in from your link and ofboot.b
    on some old Fedora ISOs I have lying around, these files are all CHRP boot scripts

IIRC it is part of the CHRP boot specification that the firmware substitutes the
    values for "&device;" and "&partition;" in <BOOT-SCRIPT>...</BOOT-SCRIPT> when reading the CHRP boot script into memory, and that's certainly what OpenBIOS does.

I guess the real question is does Apple's OF do the right thing here? My feeling is
    that it does, since grub.chrp.in uses the hard-coded path \System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf which is a directory that only exists if grub
    is installed on a MacOS computer.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Thu Apr 15 21:20:02 2021
    On 14/04/2021 12:53, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

FWIW, I also found a number of bugs in GRUB on PowerMac itself while working
    on the problem. It turns out that GRUB does not set the proper openfirmware >>> path in NVRAM pointing to the BootX script that it just installed. The script
    gets installed into :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX but grub-install (the
    upstream GRUB installation tool) just sets the path to :BootX.

I would expect this to work since BootX is simply the filename and so it is a
    relative path reference, presumably to the blessed CoreServices directory. >> Otherwise you'd end up using an absolute path in the form \path\to\BootX.

The problem was simply that the HFS filesystem had to be unmounted before accessing
    with hfsutils. It works now. Currently performing the final test.

Excellent!

Also, while GRUB's grub-install blesses the "CoreServices" folder, it does >>> not set the "tbxi" attribute which means it's not possible to boot the disk >>> with "boot hd:N,:\\tbxi" (N being the partition).

Not sure why to pass "-c chrp" here as all the instructions I have seen for PowerMac pass "-c UNIX".

(goes and looks)

From what I can see there is a mixture of creator types: chrp is mentioned for FreeBSD and BootX, whilst most of the grub references suggest using UNIX. Having a
    look around the OpenBIOS code I think the creator type is only used in the absence of
    a blessed directory, so either will do fine.

Seems so. See the grub-install source code.

Finally it may be worth noting that if you omit the partition number then the firmware
    will locate the first bootable partition itself which is the default value that OpenBIOS
    uses, e.g.

I'm just using the path provided by "opathname" as this way we can install onto any type
    of media instead of just hard disks.

and "partition" in the boot script [3] it installs. They just remain as is on
    the disk which naturally means that grub-install currently cannot itself properly

IIRC it is part of the CHRP boot specification that the firmware substitutes the values
    for "&device;" and "&partition;" in <BOOT-SCRIPT>...</BOOT-SCRIPT> when reading the CHRP
    boot script into memory, and that's certainly what OpenBIOS does.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

I guess the real question is does Apple's OF do the right thing here? My feeling is that it
    does, since grub.chrp.in uses the hard-coded path \System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf
    which is a directory that only exists if grub is installed on a MacOS computer.

I can try removing the sed command from grub-installer again and see if that still works.

Currently, I have:

sed -i 's!&device;:&partition;!'"$ofpath"'!g' $ROOT/boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX

Out of curiosity did it still work when you removed this?

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Thu Apr 15 21:30:02 2021
    On 4/15/21 9:11 PM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    Not sure why to pass "-c chrp" here as all the instructions I have seen for >> PowerMac pass "-c UNIX".

(goes and looks)

From what I can see there is a mixture of creator types: chrp is mentioned for
    FreeBSD and BootX, whilst most of the grub references suggest using UNIX. Having a look around the OpenBIOS code I think the creator type is only used in the absence of a blessed directory, so either will do fine.

OK, I was already wondering about that. grub-install contains a bless utility and function only, but not something for the UNIX filetype.

Question: If the blessing is sufficient and the setting of the filetype not necessary,
    why does grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub (with that being an HFS
    filesystem) not create a working boot partition?

There is either a bug in GRUB or I'm using it incorrectly.

If we could use GRUB's own blessing utility and waive for hfsutils altogether, we could
    simplify the current code in grub-installer for PowerMacs [1] even further. But at the
    moment, the current changes are what I know is working and what's also documented in
    the Gentoo wiki [2].

On the other hand, I know that Vladimir from GRUB upstream is an experienced programmer,
    so I can't really believe he committed something like PowerMac support in GRUB without
    properly testing it.

FWIW, the bootable CD also has the chrp/tbxi type set [3]. So, I'm not sure whether we
    need that or not. Either way, I will perform further tests in the future, also with HFS+
    instead of HFS and try to reduce the necessary tools to hfsprogs and GRUB.

Out of curiosity did it still work when you removed this?

Yes.

Adrian

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/grub-installer/-/commit/a234f349ef13ddf3d756c4418716f2e6adeba3dc
    [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB_on_Open_Firmware_(PowerPC)
    [3] https://salsa.debian.org/images-team/debian-cd/-/blob/master/tools/boot/bullseye/boot-powerpc#L23

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Thu Apr 15 22:00:01 2021
    On 15/04/2021 20:23, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

OK, I was already wondering about that. grub-install contains a bless utility and function only, but not something for the UNIX filetype.

Question: If the blessing is sufficient and the setting of the filetype not necessary,
    why does grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub (with that being an HFS

Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this to be working now.
    Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since then I can then use a debugger on
    QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the problem may be.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Fri Apr 16 08:00:02 2021
    On 4/16/21 1:27 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this to be working now.
    Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since then I can then use a debugger
    on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the problem may be.
    (...)
    The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive image in QEMU the
    /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created - see the attached PNGs where part-original.png
    is the layout from the default guided installation and part-modified.png is after I had
    manually removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS partition (I guess a 32MB size?)
    and then assigned the remaining space to the / partition once again.
    (...)
    # grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub/

(this installed /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX which was missing before?)

Your machine is obviously not detected as a New World PowerMac and thus, none of the mechanisms for
    New World PowerMacs are applied. If archdetect doesn't show you're on a "powerpc/powermac_newworld",
    neither the automatic partioning nor the installation of GRUB for PowerMacs is triggered correctly.

# umount /boot/grub/
    # hmount /dev/sda3
    Volume name is "untitled"
    Volume was created on Thu Apr 15 20:51:52 2021
    Volume was last modified on Thu Apr 15 21:48:40 2021
    Volume has 22705664 bytes free
    root@debian:/boot# hls
    fonts grub.cfg locale powerpc-ieee1275
    grub grubenv mach_kernel System
    # hattrib -b :System:Library:CoreServices
    # hattrib -c chrp -t tbxi :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX

So, I thought setting the filetype isn't necessary?

# hls -l :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
    f tbxi/chrp 0 16632 Apr 15 22:53 :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
    # humount
    # shutdown -h now

After that I was able to reboot successfully by switching qemu-system-ppc to boot from the HD using -boot c instead:

./qemu-system-ppc -hda deb10.qcow2 -cdrom debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot c -m 512 -nographic

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David VANTYGHEM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 16 08:00:02 2021
    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    Le 16/04/2021 à 01:27, Mark Cave-Ayland a écrit :
    On 15/04/2021 20:54, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

OK, I was already wondering about that. grub-install contains a
    bless utility
    and function only, but not something for the UNIX filetype.

Question: If the blessing is sufficient and the setting of the
    filetype not necessary,
               why does grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub (with
    that being an HFS

Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this to
    be working now. Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since
    then I can then use a debugger on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the
    problem may be.

After a bit of fiddling I was eventually able to get a bootable HD
    install under qemu-system-ppc using your snapshot image. The command
    line I used was:

./qemu-system-ppc -hda deb10.qcow2 -cdrom
    debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot d -m 512 -nographic

The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive image in
    QEMU the /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created - see the
    attached PNGs where part-original.png is the layout from the default
    guided installation and part-modified.png is after I had manually
    removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS partition (I guess a
    32MB size?) and then assigned the remaining space to the / partition
    once again.

Once this was done, I let the base install run all the way up until
    the point where the installer prompted me for the mirror information.
    At this point I didn't want to install any extra packages to help save
    time, so instead went back to the installer menu and then went
    directly to the grub installation step. That appeared to succeed
    without any error messages, so then finished the installer and rebooted.

Unfortunately the resulting HD image would not boot. I could see the
    contents of the /boot/grub partition in OpenBIOS with "dir hd:,\" and
    after a few tests realised I was able to boot the grub ELF directly
    using "boot hd:3,\grub".

Once in the installed image I noticed that the /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/ directory didn't exist,
    possibly because I skipped the installer between the mirror selection
    and the grub installation? However at this point I was able to install hfsutils by hand using "apt-get install hfsutils" which then allowed
    me to do the following:

(this installed /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX which was missing before?)

# umount /boot/grub/
    # hmount /dev/sda3
    fonts             grub.cfg          locale powerpc-ieee1275
    grub              grubenv           mach_kernel       System
    f  tbxi/chrp         0     16632 Apr 15 22:53 :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
    # humount
    # shutdown -h now

After that I was able to reboot successfully by switching
    qemu-system-ppc to boot from the HD using -boot c instead:

debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot c -m 512 -nographic

ATB,

Mark.

Inded, I don't have the HFS partition too.

--
    Passez à Linux : https://infolib.re

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    // \\ Envoyé depuis mon Linux
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    </head>
    <body>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Le 16/04/2021 à 01:27, Mark Cave-Ayland
    a écrit :<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="mid:f073549e-735c-14f0-a694-0448b7eb7eb8@ilande.co.uk">On
    15/04/2021 20:54, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    <br>
    <br>
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite">OK, I was already wondering about that.
    grub-install contains a bless utility
    <br>
    and function only, but not something for the UNIX filetype.
    <br>
    <br>
    Question: If the blessing is sufficient and the setting of the
    filetype not necessary,
    <br>
               why does grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub
    (with that being an HFS
    <br>
    <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    Yeah. From what I can see from links [1] and [2] I'd expect this
    to be working now. Let me run an install of the latest ISO here,
    since then I can then use a debugger on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find
    out what the problem may be.
    <br>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
    After a bit of fiddling I was eventually able to get a bootable HD
    install under qemu-system-ppc using your snapshot image. The
    command line I used was:
    <br>
    <br>
    debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot d -m 512 -nographic
    <br>
    <br>
    The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive
    image in QEMU the /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created -
    see the attached PNGs where part-original.png is the layout from
    the default guided installation and part-modified.png is after I
    had manually removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS
    partition (I guess a 32MB size?) and then assigned the remaining
    space to the / partition once again.
    <br>
    <br>
    Once this was done, I let the base install run all the way up
    until the point where the installer prompted me for the mirror
    information. At this point I didn't want to install any extra
    packages to help save time, so instead went back to the installer
    menu and then went directly to the grub installation step. That
    appeared to succeed without any error messages, so then finished
    the installer and rebooted.
    <br>
    <br>
    Unfortunately the resulting HD image would not boot. I could see
    the contents of the /boot/grub partition in OpenBIOS with "dir
    hd:,\" and after a few tests realised I was able to boot the grub
    ELF directly using "boot hd:3,\grub".
    <br>
    <br>
    Once in the installed image I noticed that the
    /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/ directory didn't exist,
    possibly because I skipped the installer between the mirror
    selection and the grub installation? However at this point I was
    able to install hfsutils by hand using "apt-get install hfsutils"
    which then allowed me to do the following:
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    (this installed /boot/grub/System/Library/CoreServices/BootX which
    was missing before?)
    <br>
    <br>
    # umount /boot/grub/
    <br>
    # hmount /dev/sda3
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    fonts             grub.cfg          locale           
    powerpc-ieee1275
    <br>
    grub              grubenv           mach_kernel       System
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    f  tbxi/chrp         0     16632 Apr 15 22:53
    :System:Library:CoreServices:BootX
    <br>
    # humount
    <br>
    # shutdown -h now
    <br>
    <br>
    After that I was able to reboot successfully by switching
    qemu-system-ppc to boot from the HD using -boot c instead:
    <br>
    <br>
    debian-10.0.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso -boot c -m 512 -nographic
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    ATB,
    <br>
    <br>
    Mark.
    <br>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Inded, I don't have the HFS partition too.</p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
    Passez à Linux : <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://infolib.re">https://infolib.re</a>

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/</pre>
    <div id="grammalecte_menu_main_button_shadow_host" style="width:
    0px; height: 0px;"></div>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to David VANTYGHEM on Fri Apr 16 08:10:01 2021
    On 4/16/21 7:56 AM, David VANTYGHEM wrote:

Then the emulation is not behaving as a real machine.

QEMU needs display the right information below /proc/cpuinfo:

https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-installer/-/blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Fri Apr 16 08:40:01 2021
    On 16/04/2021 06:50, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 4/16/21 1:27 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    Let me run an install of the latest ISO here, since then I can then use a debugger
    on QEMU/OpenBIOS to find out what the problem may be.
    (...)
    The main problem I found was that starting from a blank drive image in QEMU the
    /boot/grub HFS partition wasn't being created - see the attached PNGs where part-original.png
    is the layout from the default guided installation and part-modified.png is after I had
    manually removed the / partition, added the /boot/grub HFS partition (I guess a 32MB size?)
    and then assigned the remaining space to the / partition once again.
    (...)

Your machine is obviously not detected as a New World PowerMac and thus, none of the mechanisms for
    New World PowerMacs are applied. If archdetect doesn't show you're on a "powerpc/powermac_newworld",
    neither the automatic partioning nor the installation of GRUB for PowerMacs is triggered correctly.

I see, thanks - my confusion was that the old installer used to always set up the
    partitioning regardless of the machine type and so it was possible to boot on both an
    Old World and a New World machine.

Are Old World Macs no longer supported?

# umount /boot/grub/
    # hmount /dev/sda3
    fonts grub.cfg locale powerpc-ieee1275
    grub grubenv mach_kernel System

I think it shouldn't be - I can test later but mostly I just wanted to use something
    that was known to work so I could debug the boot process.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David VANTYGHEM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 16 08:20:02 2021
    Le 16/04/2021 à 08:04, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
    On 4/16/21 7:56 AM, David VANTYGHEM wrote:

https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-installer/-/blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c
    Adrian

Under QEMU, my machine is :

https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/YT77NWCuXe-1Zei6sAam49SS/

(pcmacgeneration : NewWorld)

--

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/

<html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Le 16/04/2021 à 08:04, John Paul Adrian
    Glaubitz a écrit :<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="mid:3165fb74-b3a8-e6d6-275e-77bc365398fa@physik.fu-berlin.de">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On 4/16/21 7:56 AM, David VANTYGHEM wrote:
    </pre>
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">Inded, I don't have the HFS partition too.
    </pre>
    </blockquote>
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">

</pre>
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-installer/-/blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c">https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-installer/-/
    blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c</a>
    </pre>
    </blockquote>
    Adrian

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Under QEMU, my machine is :<br>
    </p>
    <p><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/YT77NWCuXe-1Zei6sAam49SS/">https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/YT77NWCuXe-1Zei6sAam49SS/</a></p>
    <p>(pcmacgeneration : NewWorld)<br>
    </p>
    Passez à Linux : <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://infolib.re">https://infolib.re</a>

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/</pre>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Fri Apr 16 08:50:01 2021
    On 4/16/21 8:39 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

Here's what I get for the QEMU machines:

The interesting part will be to see what arch-detect prints out in the installer. You can just run it from a second terminal. If it doesn't
    detect a newworld machine, GRUB installation won't work.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to David VANTYGHEM on Fri Apr 16 08:50:02 2021
    On 4/16/21 8:14 AM, David VANTYGHEM wrote:
    Under QEMU, my machine is :

https://cryptpad.fr/file/#/2/file/YT77NWCuXe-1Zei6sAam49SS/

(pcmacgeneration : NewWorld)

The deciding factor is what "arch-detect" shows on your machine and if
    the strings aren't shown as "arch-detect" expects them, the installer
    is not able to properly detect your platform.

I mean, I tested this whole thing on an actual iBook G4 and it works as expected, so if QEMU's emulation is accurate, the end result must be
    the same for the powerpc image (I'm not talking about the ppc64 image
    which is broken and untested - but that I am about to fix).

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David VANTYGHEM@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 16 09:00:01 2021
    Le 16/04/2021 à 08:48, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz a écrit :
    The interesting part will be to see what arch-detect prints out in the installer. You can just run it from a second terminal. If it doesn't

Adrian

I don't have arch-detect but a archdetect command :

# archdetect

powerpc/powermac_newworld

--

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/

<html>
    <head>
    </head>
    <body>
    <p><br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Le 16/04/2021 à 08:48, John Paul Adrian
    Glaubitz a écrit :<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
    cite="mid:8695545b-31c2-b6f9-33c6-39852c836ba4@physik.fu-berlin.de">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">On 4/16/21 8:39 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    </pre>
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <blockquote type="cite">
    <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap=""><a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-installer/-/blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c">https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/libdebian-
    installer/-/blob/master/src/system/subarch-powerpc-linux.c</a>
    </pre>
    </blockquote>
    </blockquote>
    </pre>
    </blockquote>

Adrian

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <p>I don't have arch-detect but a archdetect command :</p>
    <p># archdetect</p>
    <p>powerpc/powermac_newworld<br>
    </p>

.--.
    |o_o |
    ||_/ |
    (| |)
    / \_ _/ \
    \___)=(___/</pre>
    </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Fri Apr 16 09:00:02 2021
    On 16/04/2021 07:48, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Here's what I see with -M mac99:

~ # /bin/archdetect

I guess that should work? If so, I can kick off another installation in the background later.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Fri Apr 16 09:10:01 2021
    On 16/04/2021 07:47, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 4/16/21 8:36 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

I see, thanks - my confusion was that the old installer used to always set up the partitioning regardless
    of the machine type and so it was possible to boot on both an Old World and a New World machine.

That's not quite true. The installer has always been differentiating the different machine types on
    PowerPC. For Yaboot, there was a package called "partman-newworld" before that was only enabled on
    machines detected as */powermac_newworld. If your machine did not match that pattern, it would not
    have created the HFS bootstrap.

I see. Possibly this is a bit blurred under QEMU since whilst the machine types should be reported correctly, OpenBIOS is able to run a New World bootloader on an
    Old World machine.

Are Old World Macs no longer supported?

I am currently concerned with New World Macs only as I haven't had the time yet to dig out an OW
    Mac for testing. I have such a machine currently in storage but no plans at the moment to work
    on it as kernel support for these old machines as mine (PowerBook 3400) is not working anyway
    at the moment.

Ah ok. My guess is that assuming grub is fairly conservative with its CIF usage then
    the main change would be to set the tbxi attribute on System/Library/CoreServices/grub.elf instead of System/Library/CoreServices/BootX. My
    hunch is that Old World machines can't parse an XML CHRP-BOOT script, but they should
    be able to load the ELF directly (which is effectively what I did during my installation test).

I think it shouldn't be - I can test later but mostly I just wanted to use something that was
    known to work so I could debug the boot process.

My question still is: Why does "grub-install --macppc-directory=/boot/grub" not already set up
    a completely working bootstrap partition. There is obviously a bug in grub-install.

Yeah. When I did my test the grub-install section of the installer itself didn't
    report any errors, but then I didn't go looking at the installer logs directly. Perhaps that's something to do for the next test once I've validated the creation of
    the /boot/grub HFS partition on New World machines.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to David VANTYGHEM on Fri Apr 16 09:20:01 2021
    On 4/16/21 8:53 AM, David VANTYGHEM wrote:
    I don't have arch-detect but a archdetect command :

# archdetect

Then I have no clue what's wrong and you will need to debug the
    problem yourself.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Fri Apr 16 09:30:01 2021
    On 4/16/21 8:59 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    The interesting part will be to see what arch-detect prints out in the
    installer. You can just run it from a second terminal. If it doesn't

~ # /bin/archdetect

I guess that should work? If so, I can kick off another installation in the background later.

So, which image did you use and was QEMU already configured like that when
    you were trying it in the first place.

Because I am starting to question my sanity. If you're showing me that arch-detect
    is detecting the machine correctly and you used the latest image which I tested myself on real hardware, then it's not possible that the partioner will use
    the wrong layout.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Fri Apr 16 09:40:01 2021
    On 16/04/2021 08:21, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 4/16/21 8:59 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    The interesting part will be to see what arch-detect prints out in the
    installer. You can just run it from a second terminal. If it doesn't

~ # /bin/archdetect

So, which image did you use and was QEMU already configured like that when you were trying it in the first place.

Because I am starting to question my sanity. If you're showing me that arch-detect
    is detecting the machine correctly and you used the latest image which I tested
    myself on real hardware, then it's not possible that the partioner will use the wrong layout.

Well bear in mind that last night's install would have been running under an Old
    World (-M g3beige) machine as that was before I realised from your comments this
    morning that the new functionality was restricted to New World machines.

I've started a new install on a blank disk with -M mac99 and will report back.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mark Cave-Ayland on Fri Apr 16 09:50:01 2021
    On 4/16/21 9:29 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    myself on real hardware, then it's not possible that the partioner will use >> the wrong layout.

Well bear in mind that last night's install would have been running under an Old World (-M g3beige)
    machine as that was before I realised from your comments this morning that the new functionality
    was restricted to New World machines.

Well, that was an important missing piece of information.

Adrian

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Cave-Ayland@21:1/5 to John Paul Adrian Glaubitz on Fri Apr 16 10:10:02 2021
    On 16/04/2021 08:41, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 4/16/21 9:29 AM, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
    myself on real hardware, then it's not possible that the partioner will use >>> the wrong layout.

Well bear in mind that last night's install would have been running under an Old World (-M g3beige)
    machine as that was before I realised from your comments this morning that the new functionality
    was restricted to New World machines.

Well, that was an important missing piece of information.

Sorry :( As I mentioned before the old installer worked fine on both QEMU machines,
    and since David reported that his -M mac99 installation failed then I figured the
    problem was elsewhere.

ATB,

Mark.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05