• Latest unstable on Beige G3

From Lee Cremeans@21:1/5 to glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de on Thu Mar 11 04:00:03 2021
    On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 4:23 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz < glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hello Lee!

On 2/13/21 1:41 AM, Lee Cremeans wrote:
    * The current builds of the unstable installer are not usable on an OldWorld Mac (including my Beige) because unstable no longer ships quik.
    I
    understand the newer images ship GRUB, and I'm wondering just how hard
    it'd
    be to get an OldWorld machine to boot an ELF GRUB, if an XCOFF GRUB is
    out
    of the question; I've looked at the GRUB source but they're complex
    enough
    that I haven't found the magic words to change the GRUB image type.

I'm confident that we would be able to find a solution for OldWorld
    systems,
    but I currently don't have the time and resources to work on this
    particular
    problem.

I also don't have access to these machines at the moment, so if someone is willing to donate a G3 so that I can work on this particular hardware at
    some point, feel free to send me an email.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

Understood. I was able to find a workaround using BootX from MacOS, which
    is not optimal (aside from requiring MacOS, it doesn't seem to work on my
    6360 at all due to lack of memory), but it at least lets me get kernel 5.10 booted on my G3.

One thing I noticed about kernel 5.10 is that networking seems to be
    broken. The onboard BMAC Ethernet comes up and gets an IP, but anything
    that tries to use it hangs. I'm attempting to bring up Sid on NewWorld
    hardware (QEMU, for now, since all of my real NewWorld hardware is
    inaccessible at the moment) to see if it still happens there. I also want
    to try a different network card on the off chance that the BMAC driver
    itself is malfunctioning. I also noticed that a few things that work fine
    on AMD64 Sid, like freerdp2-x11, don't work properly on PowerPC Sid.

-lee

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 4:23 AM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz &lt;<a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="
    margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hello Lee!<br>

On 2/13/21 1:41 AM, Lee Cremeans wrote:<br>
    &gt; * The current builds of the unstable installer are not usable on an<br> &gt; OldWorld Mac (including my Beige) because unstable no longer ships quik. I<br>
    &gt; understand the newer images ship GRUB, and I&#39;m wondering just how hard it&#39;d<br>
    &gt; be to get an OldWorld machine to boot an ELF GRUB, if an XCOFF GRUB is out<br>
    &gt; of the question; I&#39;ve looked at the GRUB source but they&#39;re complex enough<br>
    &gt; that I haven&#39;t found the magic words to change the GRUB image type.<br>

I&#39;m confident that we would be able to find a solution for OldWorld systems,<br>
    but I currently don&#39;t have the time and resources to work on this particular<br>
    problem.<br>

I also don&#39;t have access to these machines at the moment, so if someone is<br>
    willing to donate a G3 so that I can work on this particular hardware at<br> some point, feel free to send me an email.<br>

Adrian<br>

-- <br>
     .&#39;&#39;`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz<br>
    : :&#39; :  Debian Developer - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@debian.org" target="_blank">glaubitz@debian.org</a><br>
    `. `&#39;   Freie Universitaet Berlin - <a href="mailto:glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de" target="_blank">glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de</a><br>
      `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913<br></blockquote><div><br></div><div>Understood. I was able to find a workaround using BootX from MacOS, which is not optimal (aside from requiring MacOS, it doesn&#39;t seem to work on
    my 6360 at all due to lack of memory), but it at least lets me get kernel 5.10 booted on my G3. </div><div><br></div><div>One thing I noticed about kernel 5.10 is that networking seems to be broken. The onboard BMAC Ethernet comes up and gets an IP, but
    anything that tries to use it hangs. I&#39;m attempting to bring up Sid on NewWorld hardware (QEMU, for now, since all of my real NewWorld hardware is inaccessible at the moment) to see if it still happens there. I also want to try a different network
    card on the off chance that the BMAC driver itself is malfunctioning. I also noticed that a few things that work fine on AMD64 Sid, like freerdp2-x11, don&#39;t work properly on PowerPC Sid.</div><div><br></div><div>-lee</div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)