• Debian on iMac G5

From Mitch MRC@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 31 17:40:01 2021
    Hello list,
    i used my iMac until the official support of Deb 10 was closed.I want to update the system and reinstall everything,Can anyone point me where to start? ISO, configs .
    Thank you in advance.Mircea

<html><head></head><body><div class="yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Hello list,</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-
    setdir="false">i used my iMac until the official support of Deb 10 was closed.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I want to update the system and reinstall everything,</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Can anyone point me where to start? ISO,
    configs .</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Thank you in advance.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Mircea<br></div></div></body></html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to Mitch MRC on Wed Sep 1 14:40:01 2021
    Hi Mitch!

On 8/31/21 17:38, Mitch MRC wrote:
    i used my iMac until the official support of Deb 10 was closed.I want to update the system and reinstall everything,Can anyone point me where to start? ISO, configs .

Use the image provided here [1]. Just install normally but make sure you
    don't remove the /boot partition that the installer creates during installation.

If you see a blank error message, just answer it with <NO>. (Known issue, will be fixed in the next release).

Adrian

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/debian-10.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mitch MRC@21:1/5 to Mitch MRC on Wed Sep 15 12:50:09 2021
    Hello Adrian,
    finally i just got time to do the installation on the G5 machine.After the installation and reboot, the machine gets stuck and repeats:i2c transfer at 0x49 failed, size 3, err -5nouveau 0000:f0:10.0: XORG failed to idle.
    during installation i was asked for a media with non-free firmware, which i ignored. :)Should this be the issue?How can i install this, and where to take the non-free fw for macppc?
    Thank you,Mitch

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 03:37:01 PM GMT+3, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Mitch!

On 8/31/21 17:38, Mitch MRC wrote:

Use the image provided here [1]. Just install normally but make sure you
    don't remove the /boot partition that the installer creates during installation.

If you see a blank error message, just answer it with <NO>. (Known issue, will be fixed in the next release).

Adrian

[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/2021-04-17/debian-10.0.0-ppc64-NETINST-1.iso

--
    .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `'  Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
      `-    GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546  0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp1aad2e52yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px;"><div></div>
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Hello Adrian,</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">finally i just got time to do the installation on the G5 machine.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">After
    the installation and reboot, the machine gets stuck and repeats:</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">i2c transfer at 0x49 failed, size 3, err -5</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">nouveau 0000:f0:10.0: XORG failed to idle.</div><div dir="ltr"
    data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">during installation i was asked for a media with non-free