• Asahi Linux Support - any plans?

From Andrew Worsley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 4 14:50:02 2022
    I am wondering if there are any plans for supporting Asahi/M1 linux in
    the debian kernels?
    At the moment there are about 173 patches from the v5.19 kernel - see https://paste.debian.net/1249157/

Is that too many to be practical for debian arm64 building?

What about an experimental kernel?

Is a separate package more suitable?

Who would I talk to about debian installer support.

I tried asking on debian-kernel IRC but it seems to be mostly
    automated postings.

Thanks

Andrew

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Diederik de Haas@21:1/5 to Andrew Worsley on Thu Aug 4 17:59:53 2022
    Copy: debian-kernel@lists.debian.org

On donderdag 4 augustus 2022 14:40:14 CEST Andrew Worsley wrote:
    the debian kernels?
    At the moment there are about 173 patches from the v5.19 kernel - see https://paste.debian.net/1249157/

The normal course of action is to get it included in the upstream linux kernel first and then Debian will pick it up 'automatically' at some point.
    If there are kernel modules that need to be enabled, then that is something that needs to be done on the Debian kernel side, but it would still need to be available in the upstream kernel (first).

HTH
    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHQEABYIAB0WIQT1sUPBYsyGmi4usy/XblvOeH7bbgUCYuvs+QAKCRDXblvOeH7b bpYTAP9nnBzmsdAvofG2BPrOBwwCkqBVPx63msDC0Wnb7rZkUwD47AN3bFStk3D9 YPAlBJWVdMvRMAyhQ1iju8z7e7sZAA==
    =HE3g
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Worsley@21:1/5 to Diederik de Haas on Fri Aug 5 03:40:01 2022
    On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 02:00, Diederik de Haas <didi.debian@cknow.org> wrote:

On donderdag 4 augustus 2022 14:40:14 CEST Andrew Worsley wrote:
    the debian kernels?

The normal course of action is to get it included in the upstream linux kernel
    first and then Debian will pick it up 'automatically' at some point.
    If there are kernel modules that need to be enabled, then that is
    something
    that needs to be done on the Debian kernel side, but it would still need
    to be
    available in the upstream kernel (first).

HTH

Thanks Diederik, so I'm guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it might
    not
    be critical to something running on the M1 (versus M2).

If I was to find a smaller set of say 10 patches to 5.19 that booted a
    usable
    system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building
    (arm64 of course)?

Andrew

<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr">On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 02:00, Diederik de Haas &lt;<a href="mailto:didi.debian@cknow.org">didi.debian@cknow.org</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><div class="gmail_quote"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;
    border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On donderdag 4 augustus 2022 14:40:14 CEST Andrew Worsley wrote:<br>
    &gt; I am wondering if there are any plans for supporting Asahi/M1 linux in<br> &gt; the debian kernels?<br>
    &gt; At the moment there are about 173 patches from the v5.19 kernel - see<br> &gt; <a href="https://paste.debian.net/1249157/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://paste.debian.net/1249157/</a><br>

The normal course of action is to get it included in the upstream linux kernel <br>
    first and then Debian will pick it up &#39;automatically&#39; at some point.<br>
    If there are kernel modules that need to be enabled, then that is something <br>
    that needs to be done on the Debian kernel side, but it would still need to be <br>
    available in the upstream kernel (first).<br>

HTH</blockquote><div><br></div><div>Thanks Diederik, so I&#39;m guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it might not</div><div>be critical to something running on the M1 (versus M2). <br></div><div><br></div><div>If I was to find a smaller set of say
    10 patches to 5.19 that booted a usable</div><div>system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building (arm64 of course)?</div><div><br></div><div>Andrew<br></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Haber@21:1/5 to Andrew Worsley on Fri Aug 5 08:10:01 2022
    On Fri, Aug 05, 2022 at 11:36:40AM +1000, Andrew Worsley wrote:
    Thanks Diederik, so I'm guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it might not

If I was to find a smaller set of say 10 patches to 5.19 that booted a
    usable
    system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building
    (arm64 of course)?

Is there any reason why you don't take those patches upstream where they belong?

Greetings
    Marc

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Worsley@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 5 09:10:01 2022
    I believe the Asahi team has them all submitted via the various relevant maintainers
    and they are working their way through the groups. Some patches make significant
    changes and there is obviously discussion about whether they need to be reworked
    before being passed up.

That said there was this recently on the 5.19 kernel release from Linus Torvalds...

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wgrz5BBk=rCz7W28Fj_o02s0Xi0OEQ3H1uQgOdFvHgx0w@mail.gmail.com/T/#u

"...

On a personal note, the most interesting part here is that I did the
    release (and am writing this) on an arm64 laptop. It's something I've
    been waiting for for a _loong_ time, and it's finally reality, thanks
    to the Asahi team. We've had arm64 hardware around running Linux for a
    long time, but none of it has really been usable as a development
    platform until now.
    ..."

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 16:06, Marc Haber <mh+debian-kernel@zugschlus.de>
    wrote:

Thanks Diederik, so I'm guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it
    might
    not

If I was to find a smaller set of say 10 patches to 5.19 that booted a usable
    system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building (arm64 of course)?

Is there any reason why you don't take those patches upstream where they belong?

Greetings
    Marc

--

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

<div dir="ltr"><div>I believe the Asahi team has them all submitted via the various relevant maintainers</div><div>and they are working their way through the groups. Some patches make significant</div><div>changes and there is obviously discussion about
    whether they need to be reworked</div><div>before being passed up.</div><div><br></div><div>That said there was this recently on the 5.19 kernel release from Linus Torvalds...<br></div><div><br></div><div><a href="https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=
    wgrz5BBk=rCz7W28Fj_o02s0Xi0OEQ3H1uQgOdFvHgx0w@mail.gmail.com/T/#u">https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/CAHk-=wgrz5BBk=rCz7W28Fj_o02s0Xi0OEQ3H1uQgOdFvHgx0w@mail.gmail.com/T/#u</a></div><div><br></div><div>&quot;...<br><pre>On a personal note, the most
    interesting part here is that I did the
    release (and am writing this) on an arm64 laptop. It&#39;s something I&#39;ve been waiting for for a _loong_ time, and it&#39;s finally reality, thanks
    to the Asahi team. We&#39;ve had arm64 hardware around running Linux for a
    long time, but none of it has really been usable as a development
    platform until now.
    ...&quot;</pre></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 16:06, Marc Haber &lt;<a href="mailto:mh%2Bdebian-kernel@zugschlus.de">mh+debian-kernel@zugschlus.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
    "gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Fri, Aug 05, 2022 at 11:36:40AM +1000, Andrew Worsley wrote:<br>
    &gt; Thanks Diederik, so I&#39;m guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it might<br>
    &gt; not<br>
    &gt; be critical to something running on the M1 (versus M2).<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; If I was to find a smaller set of say 10 patches to 5.19 that booted a<br> &gt; usable<br>
    &gt; system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building<br> &gt; (arm64 of course)?<br>

Is there any reason why you don&#39;t take those patches upstream where they<br>
    belong?<br>

Greetings<br>
    Marc<br>

-- <br> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    Marc Haber         | &quot;I don&#39;t trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header<br>
    Leimen, Germany    |  lose things.&quot;    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402<br>
    Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Worsley@21:1/5 to Marc Haber on Sat Aug 6 14:50:01 2022
    The patches are being put upstream by developers far better than me -
    but it will take time.
    I just had a painful time trying to trim down the patchset but it's
    not likely to be below 100 for a while yet.
    The Asahi team are doing a good job of keeping them rebased onto the
    latest kernel and I'm using
    debian bookworm + Asahi kernel on an M1 MacBook Air very nicely as my
    work and general machine.

I was thinking if it is fairly easy to build a "feature-set" for M1/M2
    that is pretty functional - it would allow the
    work to progress on getting the debian installer working for it for
    bookworm. The initial installing part is quite complex
    as there is no way around booting into apple's recovery mode to set up
    the boot stub.
    Once that is done then you can build and install Asahi kernels
    packages as normal:

make -j 8 bindeb-pkgdpkg -i ../linux-image-5.19.0-asahi-00001-gddbaa60fc907_5.19.0-asahi-00001-gddbaa60fc907-9_arm64.deb

No need to touch the installer again

If the bookworm debian installer supports apple M1 it will be really
    useful to many people.

Andrew

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 16:06, Marc Haber <mh+debian-kernel@zugschlus.de> wrote:

Thanks Diederik, so I'm guessing 173 is way too much but a lot of it might not

If I was to find a smaller set of say 10 patches to 5.19 that booted a usable
    system would I be able to submit those patches some where for building (arm64 of course)?

Greetings
    Marc

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05