• Re: Debian Update Cycle

From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 24 23:10:01 2022
    XPost: linux.debian.project

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:00:16PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

Bad form to follow up to myself - but the second list was debian-kernel NOT debian-boot

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:27:42PM +0100, phil995511 - wrote:
    Hello,

Don't you think it would be smart to integrate all the updates contained in the Backports directory with each new minor update of our favorite OS ? For example for the versions 11.3, 11.4, etc ?

In my (limited) view: no, this would not be a useful idea if we wanted
    to maintain some degree of stability / backwards compatibility between
    point releases.

The packages in backports generally are less general they are also very
    much less tested. The net effect would be to render each point release (roughly every three months or so) potentially less stable than the last.

This would make Debian easily compatible with all the new devices available, without having to use the line of code too much... it would therefore make Debian more accessible to all non-experienced Linux users.

It generally takes quite a time to make sure that Debian works on new
    devices - certainly longer than a point release. Updates once every two
    years on a major release seem sensible. [And some new devices never
    achieve Debian support - that's in the way of things, especially, say
    some with minority architectures].

This would also facilitate the work of updating packages such as the Linux kernel, which would hardly need to be in the LTS version to be used on Debian and therefore maintained for many years by the Debian and Kernel.org maintainers.

You need a kernel maintained for about five years by the time you reach the end of ELTS: "shiny new stuff" is always sligthly problematic.

It would seem to me to strengthen the overall security of Debian, with less effort/labor.

Sadly, the same amount of labour to package and increased amounts of labour to maintain distribution-wide I fear.
    Best regards.

Philippe

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From phil995511 -@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 24 22:40:01 2022

Hello,

Don't you think it would be smart to integrate all the updates contained in
    the Backports directory with each new minor update of our favorite OS ? For example for the versions 11.3, 11.4, etc ?

This would make Debian easily compatible with all the new devices
    available, without having to use the line of code too much... it would therefore make Debian more accessible to all non-experienced Linux users.

This would also facilitate the work of updating packages such as the Linux kernel, which would hardly need to be in the LTS version to be used on
    Debian and therefore maintained for many years by the Debian and Kernel.org maintainers.

It would seem to me to strengthen the overall security of Debian, with less effort/labor.

Best regards.

Philippe

<div dir="ltr">Hello,<div><br></div><div>Don&#39;t you think it would be smart to integrate all the updates contained in the Backports directory with each new minor update of our favorite OS ? For example for the versions 11.3, 11.4, etc ?<br></div><div><
    </div><div>This would make Debian easily compatible with all the new devices available, without having to use the line of code too much... it would therefore make Debian more accessible to all non-experienced Linux users.<br></div><div><br></div><div>
    This would also facilitate the work of updating packages such as the Linux kernel, which would hardly need to be in the LTS version to be used on Debian and therefore maintained for many years by the Debian and Kernel.org maintainers.<br></div><div><br></
    <div>It would seem to me to strengthen the overall security of Debian, with less effort/labor.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Best regards.</div><div><br></div><div>Philippe</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Peter Pentchev@21:1/5 to Andrew M.A. Cater on Fri Mar 25 00:40:01 2022

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:01:37PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
    On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:00:16PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

Bad form to follow up to myself - but the second list was debian-kernel NOT debian-boot

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:27:42PM +0100, phil995511 - wrote:
    Hello,

Don't you think it would be smart to integrate all the updates contained in
    the Backports directory with each new minor update of our favorite OS ? For
    example for the versions 11.3, 11.4, etc ?

In my (limited) view: no, this would not be a useful idea if we wanted
    to maintain some degree of stability / backwards compatibility between point releases.

The packages in backports generally are less general they are also very much less tested. The net effect would be to render each point release (roughly every three months or so) potentially less stable than the last.

(I now Andrew is aware of this, but just to make it absolutely clear:)
    There are cases when software in the backports suite brings incompatible changes - there is a reason some updates have to go to backports and not
    into the stable suite itself. Some of these updates will *break* a
    working system if installed automatically. This is one of the reasons
    for the many warnings in the backports documentation and the "don't let
    Apt install these packages unless specifically requested" configuration
    of the repository itself; another reason is, as Andrew mentioned,
    the lower amount of testing that these packages generally get.

G'luck,
    Peter

--
    Peter Pentchev roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
    PGP key: http://people.FreeBSD.org/~roam/roam.key.asc
    Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115 C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEELuenpRf8EkzxFcNUZR7vsCUn3xMFAmI898QACgkQZR7vsCUn 3xNUdhAAstOUi6/R4Jk487eEwelyrND2W3U3Ovrgl9Aq3dHgo0WkTKcym1JN77VL CERiB6+DftlM1Xgpl+odqi9pcR598b5CzBcAHt/HrsO7M+38CSXUJxUYmZj/4U7H hqaPVKfbHhqCkQNRmbxAsQmPfaO7qN4gmcQctxM4KwVPSbw7WlBr7n0xYq8/jZyJ lhzqSyf6AkmtDkBq/Nlw6hVf5bS8sLshuAQzUlavenW/AGZcunT27WoUvu46Jaq7 bi0QQzhwRqTeNritHEa4Vov0dnuq2v/Kx4KUi7sP/B28j2aFqCrv39dqsXbOZax/ 57RSlVipi+CKk9ey15kATEY8eXVTZLtToAc4+/Hq64tttWKG/DMYnEnRPbmvbMts drd3/A0T3E4cT4l6oq2dCvBn3d69yHMkejygGk8SxCy98F7DoUlIPZkW7BZejJR7 HUVINxJEWifjIQ8TpEpfbLbAuwpVhEbZ5A84AzBB/fh/o3LbpQPa1Dajy12ZCBwH /9fQI5KIDAYxqknVAmYCBkWfEpkg1NxJwH/BHJy0rHJfctyMMAdpy91kzteJwj5a RnCi4g21sHNre0bvDXUnLW1X1/asIm741Bq0/QXox3hY8xl/crtOJ1XrRT/wVSuv wNRgvObHyeXgaspLEKq20JXL296n1PC/4apk5m90TJ99im9wDOs=
    =C85P
    -