• Re: Bug#1003223: buildd.debian.org: exFAT do no work on internal hard d

From Aurelien Jarno@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 6 23:50:01 2022
    control: reassign -1 src:linux

On 2022-01-06 16:07, Mats Lundström wrote:
    Package: buildd.debian.org

exfat support is provided by the kernel and has nothing to do with buildd.debian.org. Reassigning the bug there.

Severity: important
    X-Debbugs-Cc: tech@digitronics.se

Dear Maintainer,

* What led up to the situation?

I am trying to migrate from Windows to Linux due to security, performance and hardware compatibility issues. Some of the software that I use, are available both in
    Linux and Windows, so I have been doing some performance tests. Fastest is Linux (tried Lubuntu, Ubuntu and Debian and it don't matter which one), just followed by
    Windows 7. Windows 10 is way behind, due to constant external communication with unknown source (have seen this clearly at my work) and sometimes forced reboots due
    to forced system updates (this can't be tured off in Windows 10 ...) The latter is a problem, when running software 24/7 that can't resume properly at reboot without
    manual interaction. If this happen when at work or during the night, the computer will idle. Windows 7 (SP1) is in many ways better than Windows 10, but have issues
    when trying to install it on newer systems. (Systems with i5/i7/i9 and chipset Z490/Z590 blocks any Windows 7 installation ...) With 35.5 years of [prof.] hardware
    and software experience, I am still convinced that Windows 7 is the best Windows version, despite some would say that it lacks security. By own experience, Windows
    10 isn't actually any better though, but rather worse.

* What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or ineffective)?

I do stuff, including professional work related, that still are only possible on Windows computers. Therefore I intend to create a dual boot system and need a hard
    drive with data, that can be read properly by both Linux and Windows. A hard drive that uses NTFS have issues in Linux and a hard drive that uses ext4 is basically
    ignored in Windows (it detects all the partitions though). Using the hard drive with exFAT via USB works, but have stability, mechanical and formost performance
    issues - no go.

* What was the outcome of this action?

A complete 'read only' status, that can not be changed what so ever, even logged in as root. Owner of the drive is 'root' and can not be changed either. Have tried
    to fix the problem with a number of HDD utilities, but none of them can do much at all. (Installing a Debian based OS has not been easy, because of reports of assumed
    PCIe [8086:xxxx - lost this specific address, unfortunally ...] and MMIO errors with the i9/Z590 system. OS's like Windows, CentOS/Red Hat, OpenSUSE do not detect
    this at all ... OpenSUSE have severe issues with Nvidia drivers ...) Files can be copied to the system drive and edited there, but can only be copied back as a
    duplicate copy. Soon the hard drive will be filled with a number of copies ... (The fastest way to fix this, is to clean up in Windows ...) Have tried to transfer
    the data to new hard drive, to exclude any issues with the hard drive itself, but no difference.

* What outcome did you expect instead?

A 'read/write' status. This is somewhat surprising that exFAT has not been included earlier, as the standard has existed since 2006. A hard drive that only can be
    used as 'read only' makes no sense.

Regards

Mats Lundström

--
    Aurelien Jarno GPG: 4096R/1DDD8C9B aurelien@aurel32.net http://www.aurel32.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)