• Re: AW: AW: su su- sudo dont work

From Greg Wooledge@21:1/5 to Schwibinger Michael on Fri Jan 26 18:50:01 2024
    On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 04:23:07PM +0000, Schwibinger Michael wrote:
    su -
    su
    or sudo.

Is su -
    the best for install?

Whatever works best for *you* is best. "su -" is quite popular.
    If it does what you need, and is convenient for you, then there's
    your answer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hans@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 26 19:50:01 2024
    This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2024, 17:23:07 CET schrieben Sie:
    Yes, if you want to install soemthing for example by using the apt command, best way is
    becoming root with the command "su -" and then install the rquired package.

Example:
    su - then enter the password of the user root

If installing for example firefox, first read the repository:

apt update

then install the package

apt install firefox-esr

-----

Hint: If you want a graphical method and you have no X and Wndow-Manager running (like KDE,
    Gnome, XFCE whatever), I suggest using aptitude.

You have to install aptitude first:

apt install aptitude

Then you can start the gui with the command "aptitude" as root.

Hint 2: aptitude is controlled by keypresses without any enter-key.
    For example, when started aptitude, just press the "u" key and it reads the update, "U" (Shift +
    u) marks all newer packages automatically to be updated, then press "g" and you will shwo,
    what it will do. Press "g" again, and it will do the update.

Please note: If you want to upgrade the whole sytem, then using apt or apt-get will be the
    better choice!

But aptitude is very well for installing single packages or weekly upgrades, where not much
    packages will be renewed.

If you are not much experienced, and you have a window-manager running like KDE, Gnome,
    XFCE, LXDE or another one, then look at synaptic. Synaptic is a graphical tool for installing
    packages, it is a GUI for apt.

Synaptic MUST run as root.

Hope this helps.

By the way: I believe, you are not very experienced in English language, so I suggest to suscribe
    in the fine German forum,
    which is debian-user-german@lists.debioan.org.

Here is the link:
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/[1]

Good luck!

Hans

Sorry
    it was my mistake

It is

su -
    su
    or sudo.

Sorry.

Is su -
    the best for install?

Regards

Sophie

--------
    [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
    </head>
    <body><p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Am Freitag, 26. Januar 2024, 17:23:07 CET schrieben Sie:</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Yes, if you want to install soemthing for example by using the apt command, best way is becoming root with the command &quot;su -&quot; and then install the rquired package.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;"><br /></p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Example:</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">su -  then enter the password of the user root</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;"><br /></p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">If installing for example firefox, first read the repository:</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">apt update</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">then install the package</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">apt install firefox-esr</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">-----</p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;"><br /></p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Hint: If you want a graphical method and you have no X and Wndow-Manager running (like KDE, Gnome, XFCE whatever), I suggest using aptitude.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">You have to install aptitude first:</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">apt install aptitude</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Then you can start the gui with the command &quot;aptitude&quot; as root.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Hint 2: aptitude is controlled by keypresses without any enter-key.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">For example, when started aptitude, just press the &quot;u&quot; key and it reads the update, &quot;U&quot; (Shift + u)  marks all newer packages automatically to be updated, then
    press &quot;g&quot; and you will shwo, what it will do. Press &quot;g&quot; again, and it will do the update.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Please note: If you want to upgrade the whole sytem, then using apt or apt-get will be the better choice!</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">But aptitude is very well for installing single packages or weekly upgrades, where not much packages will be renewed.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">If you are not much experienced, and you have a window-manager running like KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE or another one, then look at synaptic. Synaptic is a graphical tool for installing
    packages, it is a GUI for apt.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Synaptic MUST run as root.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Hope this helps.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">By the way: I believe, you are not very experienced in English language, so I suggest to suscribe in the fine German forum, </p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">which is debian-user-german@lists.debioan.org.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Here is the link:</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;"><a href="https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/">https://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/</a></p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Good luck!</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">Hans</p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;"><br /><br /></p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; Sorry</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; it was my mistake</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; It is</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; su -</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; su</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; or sudo.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; Sorry.</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; Is su -</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; the best for install?</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; Regards</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; Sophie</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; </p> <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt; ________________________________</p>
    <p style="margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;margin-left:0;margin-right:0;">&gt;</p> </body>
    </html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Smith@21:1/5 to Hans on Sat Jan 27 10:50:01 2024
    Hi Hans,

On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 10:23:09AM +0100, Hans wrote:
    I see this exactly as you and are watching this list for may years.

I'm not sure who you're replying to as you've removed those details,
    though I may guess from your In-Reply-To header which doesn't point
    to a list message. You haven't replied to an off-list (personal)
    mail back onto the list have you? Be careful there!

But since the beginning, I had the suspicion, that someone just
    wants to make fun with us.

It is hard to understand how what Michael/Sophie/Tobias does can in
    any way be "fun" for them, though maybe that is just our lack of
    understanding.

Either they are incredibly confused by Linux or they are pretending
    to be for reasons beyond my understanding. Whatever the case, I
    don't think I have ever seen one of their threads result in a
    positive resolution.

It's probably best to not assume that what we don't understand is
    hostile and/or an AI experiment. Even so, that doesn't mean it is
    possible to help.

Thanks,
    Andy

--
    https://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 27 10:30:02 2024
    I see this exactly as you and are watching this list for may years.

However, I wanted not to be so directly because I want not to blame anyone on this list.

But since the beginning, I had the suspicion, that someone just wants to make fun with us.

Aleady from the beginning I checked after the mail adress (please note, I am German myself) and found some theater group behind the mailadress.

So I personally(!) believe, the group is making fun with us, but even then I gave him a chance.

And again I personally(!) (and this is my very personal opinion), I think, nobody is so stupid, that he/she can not do a su or install a package. NOT after 2 years!!!

For me, I will get no help here for this person, just ignore it. This is my very personal decision!

Sorry to say it, but for me personally it looks like fake! Like a morone, like a troll.

And those I can not support, sorry.

Please excuse, I do not want to hurt anyone, just tell, what I think.

Best regards

Hans

I see very similar posts in the German language list from the last two
    years but as Tobias Schwibingerr or similar - also signed by a Sophie

When I asked this question some time ago, it seems that the German language list had concluded that this person might be a troll (or even a psychology experiment / AI) :(

Like you, I have attempted to engage - but I think none of us will see
    any change - I think the German list pays no attention / may have blocked this user.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Thomas Schmitt@21:1/5 to Andy Smith on Sat Jan 27 11:10:01 2024
    Hi,

Andy Smith wrote:
    any way be "fun" for them, though maybe that is just our lack of understanding.

I expressed my suspicion of a "Hurz" performance in
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/05/msg00100.html

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Smith@21:1/5 to Thomas Schmitt on Sat Jan 27 14:00:01 2024
    Hello,

On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 11:05:30AM +0100, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
    Andy Smith wrote:
    any way be "fun" for them, though maybe that is just our lack of understanding.

I expressed my suspicion of a "Hurz" performance in
    https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2023/05/msg00100.html

Okay, but it seems to me that watching an audience try to take a
    nonsense opera seriously is a bit more sophisticated and has scope
    for amusement, unlike for example an endless stream of mispastes and misunderstandings about "sudo" and "su".

But I guess what one finds amusing can have a very wide variability…

Thanks,
    Andy

--
    https://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to Schwibinger Michael on Wed Jan 31 21:40:01 2024
    On Wed, Jan 31, 2024 at 01:58:41PM +0000, Schwibinger Michael wrote:
    Good afternoon
    I think
    maybe Im sure
    it is because of rescue mode.

Hi Sophie,

Once again: we need to you to show us what commands you run.

We need to see error messages.

if you cannot run sudo or su, we need you to run the id command
    as previously suggested.

We have literally nothing of use from you to help any of us problem
    solve. This is throwing good effort away in persuading you to help us.

Also - please address requests first to the list and not to individuals -
    it makes it a lot easier to follow on the list.

Normal booting did not have this problem.

Anybody familiar with panic?

Regards
    Thank You
    Sophie

Andy

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. Januar 2024 18:40
    An: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Betreff: Re: AW: su su- sudo dont work

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024 at 03:53:10PM +0000, Schwibinger Michael wrote:
    Good afternoon
    Why do I have to open a group?

This is to *tell* us information about why you're having problems with su
    and sudo

Running the

id

command should give you information like

uid=1000(amacater) gid=1000(amacater) groups=1000(amacater),27(sudo)

which shows you that my user - amacater - is the first user on the
    machine (because Debian starts user id numbers at 1000 for ordinary
    users) and that I'm a member of group sudo - so can use sudo instead of su.

/etc/sudoers will show you what privileges the sudo user has.
    Here are the last lines of the file on my machine (which has not been modified from Debian defaults)

# User privilege specification
    root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command
    %sudo ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL

# See sudoers(5) for more information on "@include" directives:

@includedir /etc/sudoers.d
    (END)

If you are _not_ a user of group sudo for whatever reason - and want to
    use sudo - then you will need root privileges and the root password
    (once) to add your user name to the group.

For example: adduser sophie sudo

I hope this helps

2 years ago
    sudo was no problem.

As yet, we have *no idea* what you have done in the last two years to
    break your Debian system - or even to know which kernel you boot or
    how you "rescue" your system when you log onto it every day.

Please give us information in order that the readers on this list can
    use their knowledge to help you.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy
    (amacater@debian.org)
    Regards

Sophie

Thank You
    Gesendet: Montag, 22. Januar 2024 00:07
    An: Schwibinger Michael <hbss@hotmail.com>
    Cc: Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>; debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
    Betreff: Re: su su- sudo dont work

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 4:07 PM Schwibinger Michael <hbss@hotmail.com<mailto:hbss@hotmail.com>> wrote:
    Thank You
    Example
    I say

sudo apt-get install firefox
    Reaction LINUX
    This is not allowed we send a message to the admin.

This error message means that your account is not in the sudo group.

Run the command "groups" and look for the group sudo.
    groups

Here is the command to add a user account to the sudo group. You will need to run it as root.
    usermod -a -G sudo <Your User Account>

I do open root terminal
    there its working.
    Regards
    Sophie

Gesendet: Samstag, 20. Januar 2024 14:14
    An: debian-user@lists.debian.org<mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org> <debian-user@lists.debian.org<mailto:debian-user@lists.debian.org>>
    Betreff: Re: su su- sudo dont work

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 01:26:06PM +0000, Schwibinger Michael wrote:
    Good afternoon.
    Root terminal is fine.
    What do I do wrong?
    What did I destroy?

PC does have only one user=admin.

Regards Sophie
    Is it the rescue mode?

Explain, please.

Your Subject: header says "su su- sudo dont work". What does this MEAN?

Please show us your attempts to USE each of these commands, and the
    results that you got. This means, run the commands in a terminal
    window, and then PASTE the contents of that terminal window into the
    body of your next email. Show us the shell prompt, the command as you typed it, and the full output.

In other words, show us WHAT IS WRONG, or at least what appears wrong.

In addition, please give basic background information -- what version
    of Debian you are running, what desktop environment if any, how you
    logged in (*especially* if it isn't just a "standard graphical login
    for your desktop environment"), and anything else you can think of
    that might be relevant.

How does "rescue mode" factor into the problem?

When you installed Debian, did you give a root password, or did you
    leave it blank?

Finally, it would be helpful for you to run the "id" command (with no arguments), in the same terminal session as your failed su or sudo command(s), and include that command and its output in your paste.

--
    ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
    ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system ⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org/
    ⠈⠳⣄⠀⠀

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05