• mediawiki 1.39.5 unable to create new thumbnails

From kjohnson@eclypse.org@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 28 00:50:01 2023
    When I upload new files to our wiki, the thumbnails are not created. Thumbnails created prior to applying the 1.39.5 update still work fine. It appears that the location where new thumbnails would be created has changed with 1.39.5. How can I find out
    where mediawiki is trying to create files?

Turning on $wgDebugLogFile gives me messages like:

[FileOperation] FileBackendStore::ingestFreshFileStats: File mwstore://local-backend/local-public/1/14/Favicon1.jpg does not exist

How can I translate 'mwstore://local-backend/local-public/1/14/' into a standard Linux file path?

Another approach I took was to use strace to monitor file creation failures. That gave me messages like:

[pid 30935] openat(AT_FDCWD, "/tmp/wiki/transform_bcf699ea933f.jpg", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

I do not know how to interpret this in a way that moves me forward. An 'ls -l /tmp | grep wiki' gives:

drwxrwxrwx 2 www-data www-data 4096 Dec 22 17:49 wiki

/etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php includes this line:

$wgTmpDirectory = "/tmp/wiki";

so it seems unsurprising that the mediawiki software would try to create files there. I don't understand why the file creation would fail. 'df' shows 154 GB free on /tmp.

If I use 'su - -s /bin/bash www-data' to get a shell logged in as www-data, then this command:

strace cp favicon.ico /tmp/wiki/favicon.ico

includes this output:

openat(AT_FDCWD, "/tmp/wiki/favicon.ico", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_EXCL|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 4

and the /tmp/wiki/favicon.ico file is created as expected.

I would be grateful to receive suggestions on how I could research this further.

Thanks,

Ken

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)