• Xorg fails, no gui: systemd issue?

From John -@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 8 19:40:01 2023
    Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid)  on my old Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:
    (EE) systemd-login: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
    I've  been trying for weeks to fix it, including tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?
    Thanks.

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydp2484e8e3yahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid)&nbsp; on my old
    Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">(EE) systemd-login: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Message recipient disconnected
    from message bus without replying</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">I've&nbsp; been trying for weeks to fix it, including tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can
    anyone help me figure out what the problem is?<br>Thanks.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false"><br></div></div></body></html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to John - on Fri Dec 8 21:40:01 2023
    On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 06:13:59PM +0000, John - wrote:
    Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid)  on my old Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:
    (EE) systemd-login: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
    I've  been trying for weeks to fix it, including tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?
    Thanks.

Hi John,

Today is the 8th of December - strictly, that's barely a business week.

Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a
    unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other than breakage
    from time to time.

You are expected to be able to fix breakage in sid
    yourself or you get to keep both pieces :)

You may find that the issue has been fixed if you update today: you may not. There's not much there in logs to help any of the rest of us who don't habitually run sid.

This is explicitly *not* a sarcastic suggestion: if you can't run sid,
    then I would suggest you reformat your disks and install Debian stable.
    Most of the people either active on this list or lurking and reading on
    the sidelines run Debian stable for a reason.

If you are a Debian maintainer, you are expected to build new software in unstable for it to propagate to testing and (eventually) to the next Debian major release. Outside that, unless you are actively interested in testing
    and fixing breakage as it occurs, there is little justification for running
    sid as a daily operating system.

Sid is explicitly *not* a chance to run the latest, greatest bleeding edge software reliably on a sustained basis without the occasional crash or significant problems.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy

(amacater@debian.org)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John -@21:1/5 to John - on Sat Dec 9 20:10:01 2023
    Thanks for answering and thanks for the advice, most of which I agree with, since I've been running sd since 2006.Since I am now 84, I'm not as good at figuring things out as I used to be, so if anyone else can offer help, I'd be grateful.
    On Friday, December 8, 2023 at 03:36:19 PM EST, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

Thanks.

Hi John,

Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a
    unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other than breakage
    from time to time.

You are expected to be able to fix breakage in sid
    yourself or you get to keep both pieces :)

You may find that the issue has been fixed if you update today: you may not. There's not much there in logs to help any of the rest of us who don't habitually run sid.

then I would suggest you reformat your disks and install Debian stable.
    Most of the people either active on this list or lurking and reading on

If you are a Debian maintainer, you are expected to build new software in unstable for it to propagate to testing and (eventually) to the next Debian major release. Outside that, unless you are actively interested in testing
    and fixing breakage as it occurs, there is little justification for running

Sid is explicitly *not* a chance to run the latest, greatest bleeding edge software reliably on a sustained basis without the occasional crash or significant problems.

With every good wish, as ever,

Andy

(amacater@debian.org)

<html><head></head><body><div class="ydpfd0e642ayahoo-style-wrap" style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div></div>
    <div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Thanks for answering and thanks for the advice, most of which I agree with, since I've been running sd since 2006.</div><div dir="ltr" data-setdir="false">Since I am now 84, I'm not as good at figuring things
    out as I used to be, so if anyone else can offer help, I'd be grateful.</div><div><br></div>

</div><div id="yahoo_quoted_2946972842" class="yahoo_quoted">
    <div style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:13px;color:#26282a;">

<div>
    On Friday, December 8, 2023 at 03:36:19 PM EST, Andrew M.A. Cater &lt;amacater@einval.com&gt; wrote:
    </div>
    <div><br></div>
    <div><br></div>
    <div>On Fri, Dec 08, 2023 at 06:13:59PM +0000, John - wrote:<div class="yqt6194356957" id="yqtfd94828"><br clear="none">&gt; Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid)&nbsp; on my old Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last
    line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:<br clear="none">&gt; (EE) systemd-login: failed to take device /dev/dri/card0: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying<br clear="none">&gt; I've&nbsp; been trying for weeks to fix it, including
    tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?<br clear="none">&gt; Thanks.</div><br clear="none">&gt;<br clear="none"><br clear="none">Hi John,<br clear="none"><br clear="
    none">Today is the 8th of December - strictly, that's barely a business week.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a<br clear="none">unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other
    than breakage<br clear="none">from time to time.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">You are expected to be able to fix breakage in sid<br clear="none">yourself or you get to keep both pieces :) <br clear="none"><br clear="none">You may find that the issue
    has been fixed if you update today: you may not.<br clear="none">There's not much there in logs to help any of the rest of us who don't <br clear="none">habitually run sid.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">This is explicitly *not* a sarcastic suggestion:
    if you can't run sid,<br clear="none">then I would suggest you reformat your disks and install Debian stable.<br clear="none">Most of the people either active on this list or lurking and reading on<br clear="none">the sidelines run Debian stable for a
    reason.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">If you are a Debian maintainer, you are expected to build new software in<br clear="none">unstable for it to propagate to testing and (eventually) to the next Debian<br clear="none">major release. Outside that,
    unless you are actively interested in testing<br clear="none">and fixing breakage as it occurs, there is little justification for running<br clear="none">sid as a daily operating system.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">Sid is explicitly *not* a chance
    to run the latest, greatest bleeding edge<br clear="none">software reliably on a sustained basis without the occasional crash or <br clear="none">significant problems.<br clear="none"><br clear="none">With every good wish, as ever,<br clear="none"><br
    clear="none">Andy<br clear="none"><br clear="none">(amacater@debian.org)<div class="yqt6194356957" id="yqtfd97890"><br clear="none"><br clear="none"></div></div>
    </div>
    </div></body></html>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Smith@21:1/5 to Anders Andersson on Sun Dec 10 03:00:01 2023
    Hello,

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 12:57:59AM +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
    On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 3:01 AM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other than breakage
    from time to time.

I find this quite rude. Nothing in OPs post suggests that he demands
    or expects any help, yet you're quick to point out there are no
    guarantees. So? Who asked about guarantees?

It is difficult to tactfully suggest that someone may not be expert
    enough to do something, and I would class trying to do your daily
    work on Debian sid as an expert endeavour.

I took Andrew's mention of the date not as an admonishment that OP
    was expecting too much of Debian developers, but rather as a reality
    check that sid does sometimes enter a time of severe brokenness that
    can last weeks, as a normal state of affairs that no one feels any
    particular urgency to rectify, because that is the nature of the
    thing. It is explicitly for developers.

You are expected to be able to fix breakage in sid yourself or
    you get to keep both pieces :)

You may find that the issue has been fixed if you update today: you may not.
    There's not much there in logs to help any of the rest of us who don't habitually run sid.

Aren't you even allowed to ask for help if you run sid?

"Allowed" is too strong a word, but sid is for developers and the
    level of questions being asked here together with the level of
    information supplied strongly suggest that OP is not a developer.
    Questions about sid's status and issues within sid as discussed
    between Debian developers tend to look very different. OP's post
    looks like a typical end user support query, and that's not really
    going to work for users of sid.

Where else to ask other debian users for pointers than the debian
    user list? Is there a specific list for sid users only?

Probably debian-devel, or the team list for the specific package that
    is thought to be having issues, or the bugs database for same. That
    is, it really needs to be a discussion between developers, not a
    user support conversation, so it's not really a "Debian user"
    matter, except in the sense that any developer of Debian is also a
    user of Debian.

If it's something that is broken in sid but not in a released
    version of Debian then it can be difficult for debian-user to
    assist.

then I would suggest you reformat your disks and install Debian stable. Most of the people either active on this list or lurking and reading on

It does not come of as sarcastic, just condescending, as if OP does
    not already know what sid is.

I suspect from the toner of OP's message that they really don't
    know what sid is. Again, it's tricky to politely suggest that
    someone might be using the wrong tool for the job.

unless you are actively interested in testing and fixing
    breakage as it occurs, there is little justification for running

Again, OP never claimed anything different. Something broke, as
    expected. OP asks for help trying to fix it.

I think it's a useful reminder of the purpose of sid and what to
    expect.

Can't you simply let people who want to help answer? If no one
    knows, then fine, OP is on his own.

I did not see Andrew telling people not to help OP, so if anyone
    can, they are still able to. But user support for sid is more
    difficult.

There are definitely people out there who mistakenly see sid as
    "Debian, but with newer packages" and it seems possible that OP is
    one of those people. If Andrew's response educates any such person
    then I think it was worth it.

Much like with X/Y problems, where we must suggest that the user
    needs to step back and explain what they are actually trying to
    achieve, communicating that you think someone is using the wrong
    tool—and why—is fraught with social pitfalls.

Thanks,
    Andy

--
    https://bitfolk.com/ -- No-nonsense VPS hosting

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From tomas@tuxteam.de@21:1/5 to Anders Andersson on Sun Dec 10 08:50:01 2023
    On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 12:57:59AM +0100, Anders Andersson wrote:
    On Sat, Dec 9, 2023 at 3:01 AM Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@einval.com> wrote:

Since I last (3 December) upgraded the software (sid) on my old Thinkpad, my gui fails to come up. The last line of /var/log/Xorg.0.log reads:
    I've been trying for weeks to fix it, including tracking down all suggests from googling the error message, without success. Can anyone help me figure out what the problem is?
    Thanks.

Hi John,

Debian expressly comes with no guarantees. You are running sid a.k.a unstable - that comes with still fewer guarantees other than breakage
    from time to time.

I find this quite rude. Nothing in OPs post suggests that he demands
    or expects any help, yet you're quick to point out there are no
    guarantees. So? Who asked about guarantees?

It wasn't rude. Perhaps a bit unfortunate (because Debian, after all,
    does come with some guarantees. The Social Contract, among others).

Andrew was talking specifically about *sid*. Sid does break from time
    to time. This is to be expected, by the way it works.

Aren't you even allowed to ask for help if you run sid? Where else to
    ask other debian users for pointers than the debian user list? Is
    there a specific list for sid users only?

I think Andrew's answer was more towards "in sid, things tend to fix themselves, but this takes a bit of time".

Cheers
    --
    t

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iF0EABECAB0WIQRp53liolZD6iXhAoIFyCz1etHaRgUCZXVn3QAKCRAFyCz1etHa RhQnAJ9FDya7jRCp9Sqd8Tia9ltjZ2xw2ACeIH1indnhbi/9muRqrG1wwd32k+c=
    =2X0d
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05