• Re: Disabling IPv6 by default when creating a new namespace in Linux

From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to bjorn@mork.no on Tue Jun 7 19:10:01 2022
    Hi Bjørn
    Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that if I boot up the machine with "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" and "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1", IPv6 should be disabled in newly created namespaces too.
    It doesn't work that way on my machine. Can you point me to the function
    that is used for creating a new namespace?

Thanks
    Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> writes:

How do I disable IPv6 by default when a new namespace is created?

Looking at the code, I see that the default for all namespaces will be
    taken from the ipv6 module parameter "disable_ipv6". This parameter is
    not writable and the ipv6 module is built-in, so you cannot change it
    after boot. But booting with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" on the command line should work.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi Bjørn</div><div>         Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that if I boot up the machine with &quot;net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1&quot; and &quot;net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1&quot;, IPv6 should be
    disabled in newly created namespaces too.</div><div>It doesn&#39;t work that way on my machine. Can you point me to the function that is used for creating a new namespace?</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="
    gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 12:56 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(
    204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt; How do I disable IPv6 by default when a new namespace is created?<br>

Looking at the code, I see that the default for all namespaces will be<br> taken from the ipv6 module parameter &quot;disable_ipv6&quot;.  This parameter is<br>
    not writable and the ipv6 module is built-in, so you cannot change it<br>
    after boot.  But booting with &quot;ipv6.disable_ipv6=1&quot; on the command line<br>
    should work.<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 18:30:01 2022
    Hi All,
    I have been able to disable IPv6 globally by adding the following sysctls to the /etc/sysctl.conf file.

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1
    net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1

When I boot up the machine (it is a VM actually), IPv6 is disabled. But
    when I create a new namespace, IPv6 is enabled by default. I added the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf file, but still IPv6 is enabled.

net.core.devconf_inherit_init_net=1

I tried with setting the value to 2 and 3 too. The default is 0. But IPv6
    was still enabled inside a newly created namespace.

How do I disable IPv6 by default when a new namespace is created?

*My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created namespaces*. If the user wants to enable IPv6 in a specific namespace,
    he/she can do so with the following command

*sudo nsenter --net=/var/run/netns/<namespace name> sysctl -w net.ipv6.all.conf.disable_ipv6=0*

Dheeraj

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi All,</div><div>          I have been able to disable IPv6 globally by adding the following sysctls to the /etc/sysctl.conf file.</div><div><br></div><div>net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1<br>net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_
    ipv6=1</div><div><br></div><div>When I boot up the machine (it is a VM actually), IPv6 is disabled. But when I create  a new namespace, IPv6 is enabled by default. I added the following line to /etc/sysctl.conf file, but still IPv6 is enabled.</div><div>
    <br></div><div>net.core.devconf_inherit_init_net=1</div><div><br></div><div>I tried with setting the value to 2 and 3 too. The default is 0. But IPv6 was still enabled inside a newly created namespace.<br></div><div><br></div><div>How do I disable IPv6
    by default when a new namespace is created? <br></div><div><br></div><div><span style="background-color:rgb(238,238,238)"><b>My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created namespaces</b></span>. If the user wants to enable IPv6 in
    a specific namespace, he/she can do so with the following command</div><div><br></div><div><strong>sudo nsenter --net=/var/run/netns/&lt;namespace name&gt; sysctl -w net.ipv6.all.conf.disable_ipv6=0<br></strong></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj</div><div>
    <br></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to bjorn@mork.no on Tue Jun 7 19:30:01 2022
    On my system I see the following values:

$cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6
    net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

Are you suggesting that "cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6"
    should be 1?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:11 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that if I boot up the machine with "net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1" and "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1", IPv6 should be disabled in newly created namespaces too.

No. But if you boot with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" then you should see

grep . /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6

returning 1. This will be used as the default value of "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6" for all namespaces. Including the default namespace.

That's a lot of nested defaults ;-) Hope you get the meaning.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>On my system I see the following values:</div><div><br></div><div>$cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6</div><div>0</div><div><br></div><div>$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6<br>net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1</
    <div><br></div><div>$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6<br>net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1</div><div><br></div><div>Are you suggesting that &quot;cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot; should be 1?<br></div><div><br></
    <div>Dheeraj</div><div><br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:11 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
    style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt;          Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that if I boot up the<br>
    &gt; machine with &quot;net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1&quot; and<br>
    &gt; &quot;net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1&quot;, IPv6 should be disabled in newly<br>
    &gt; created namespaces too.<br>

No.  But if you boot with &quot;ipv6.disable_ipv6=1&quot; then you should see<br>

grep . /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6<br>

returning 1.  This will be used as the default value of<br> &quot;net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6&quot; for all namespaces.  Including the<br>
    default namespace.<br>

That&#39;s a lot of nested defaults ;-) Hope you get the meaning.<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Haber@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 19:20:01 2022
    On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 12:24:39PM -0400, Dheeraj Kandula wrote:
    *My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created namespaces*

Why do you deliberately cripple your system and force it to use legacy technology?

Greetings
    Marc

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 19:30:01 2022

No. But if you boot with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" then you should see

grep . /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6

returning 1. This will be used as the default value of "net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6" for all namespaces. Including the
    default namespace.

That's a lot of nested defaults ;-) Hope you get the meaning.

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 7 19:30:01 2022
    It is a requirement that I am working on. I can't reveal further details. Sorry.

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:11 PM Marc Haber <mh+debian-ipv6@zugschlus.de>
    wrote:

*My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created namespaces*

Why do you deliberately cripple your system and force it to use legacy technology?

Greetings
    Marc

--

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

<div dir="ltr"><div>It is a requirement that I am working on. I can&#39;t reveal further details. Sorry.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 1:11 PM
    Marc Haber &lt;<a href="mailto:mh%2Bdebian-ipv6@zugschlus.de">mh+debian-ipv6@zugschlus.de</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Tue, Jun 07,
    2022 at 12:24:39PM -0400, Dheeraj Kandula wrote:<br>
    &gt; *My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created<br> &gt; namespaces*<br>

Why do you deliberately cripple your system and force it to use legacy<br> technology?<br>

Greetings<br>
    Marc<br>

-- <br> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
    Marc Haber         | &quot;I don&#39;t trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header<br>
    Leimen, Germany    |  lose things.&quot;    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402<br>
    Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421<br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Marc Haber on Tue Jun 7 19:40:01 2022
    Marc Haber <mh+debian-ipv6@zugschlus.de> writes:
    *My requirement is to have IPv6 disabled globally and in newly created
    namespaces*

I don't think this is constructive.

I've never done this myself, but I have no problems seeing that there
    are reasons to use the per-interface disable_ipv6 knob. This isn't
    "crippling" anything. And it can make perfect sense to set it by
    default and then only enable ipv6 where needed and supported.

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 21:00:01 2022

Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.

I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:

You need to make the change in your boot loader. grub or whatever.
    That's where the kernel command line is set.

E.g edit /etc/default/grub and add ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable, and then run update-grub to produce a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg configuration file.

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marcoshalano@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 20:40:01 2022
    Dheeraj,

You don't need to touch the /etc/sysctl.conf. You need to touch your bootloader configuration file. You can see an example of how to do it here: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/

On 07/06/2022 15:33, Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> wrote:

I saved the file.

*I rebooted my VM.*

After reboot, I check the value of "/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6". *It is still 0.*

As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is
    this a bug in the kernel code?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no <mailto:bjorn@mork.no>> wrote:

Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com <mailto:dkandula@gmail.com>> writes:

> On my system I see the following values:
    >
    > $cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6
    > 0

Yes, that's the default unless you change it..

> Are you suggesting that "cat
    /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6"
    > should be 1?

Yes, And if you boot with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" on the command line,
    then it will be.

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 20:40:01 2022

Are you suggesting that "cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6"
    should be 1?

then it will be.

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to bjorn@mork.no on Tue Jun 7 20:40:01 2022

I saved the file.

*I rebooted my VM.*

After reboot, I check the value of
    "/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6". *It is still 0.*

As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is this
    a bug in the kernel code?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

Are you suggesting that "cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6" should be 1?

then it will be.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.</div><div><br></div><div>I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:</div><div><br></div><div>net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1<
    net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1</div><div><br></div><div>I saved the file.</div><div><br></div><div><b>I rebooted my VM.</b></div><div><br></div><div>After reboot, I check the value of &quot;/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;. <b>It
    is still 0.</b> <br></div><div><br></div><div>As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is this a bug in the kernel code?</div><div></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"
    class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"
    Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt; On my system I see the following values:<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; $cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6<br>
    &gt; 0<br>

Yes, that&#39;s the default unless you change it..<br>

&gt; Are you suggesting that &quot;cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;<br>
    &gt; should be 1?<br>

Yes, And if you boot with &quot;ipv6.disable_ipv6=1&quot; on the command line,<br>
    then it will be.<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to marcoshalano@gmail.com on Tue Jun 7 21:40:01 2022
    Thanks Marc for your email. With the grub option, the IPv6 feature itself
    may have been removed from the running Linux kernel. But, I want IPv6 functionality to be present in the kernel but with the capability to enable
    or disable it.

If disabled, IPv6 should be disabled on current namespaces and future namespaces, until I enable IPv6 again.

Is this possible in Linux?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM <marcoshalano@gmail.com> wrote:

Dheeraj,

You don't need to touch the /etc/sysctl.conf. You need to touch your bootloader configuration file. You can see an example of how to do it here: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/

I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf
    file:

I saved the file.

*I rebooted my VM.*

After reboot, I check the value of "/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6". *It is still 0.*

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no <mailto:bjorn@mork.no>> wrote:

Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com <mailto:dkandula@gmail.com>>
    writes:

>
    > 0

> should be 1?

then it will be.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks Marc for your email. With the grub option, the IPv6 feature itself may have been removed from the running Linux kernel. But, I want IPv6 functionality to be present in the kernel but with the capability to enable or disable it.<
    /div><div><br></div><div>If disabled, IPv6 should be disabled on current namespaces and future namespaces, until I enable IPv6 again.</div><div><br></div><div>Is this possible in Linux?</div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="
    gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM &lt;<a href="mailto:marcoshalano@gmail.com">marcoshalano@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
    rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj,<br>

You don&#39;t need to touch the /etc/sysctl.conf. You need to touch your bootloader configuration file. You can see an example of how to do it here: <a href="https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
    https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/</a><br>

On 07/06/2022 15:33, Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
    &gt; Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1<br>
    &gt; net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; I saved the file.<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; *I rebooted my VM.*<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; After reboot, I check the value of <br>
    &gt; &quot;/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;. *It is still 0.*<br> &gt; <br>
    &gt; As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is <br>
    &gt; this a bug in the kernel code?<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; Dheeraj<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no" target="_blank">bjorn@mork.no</a> <br>
    &gt; &lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no" target="_blank">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; writes:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;      &gt; On my system I see the following values:<br>
    &gt;      &gt;<br>
    &gt;      &gt; $cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6<br>
    &gt;      &gt; 0<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Yes, that&#39;s the default unless you change it..<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;      &gt; Are you suggesting that &quot;cat<br>
    &gt;     /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;<br>
    &gt;      &gt; should be 1?<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Yes, And if you boot with &quot;ipv6.disable_ipv6=1&quot; on the command line,<br>
    &gt;     then it will be.<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Bjørn<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; <br>

</blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to bjorn@mork.no on Tue Jun 7 21:30:01 2022
    Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is
    not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6 itself is
    not available.

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6
    sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6: No such file or directory

I want to enable and disable IPv6 when the Linux box is up and running.

Sysctls worked but not for new namespaces. Is this a limitation of Linux?

BTW, the value is still 0 for disable_ipv6

$ cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

file:

You need to make the change in your boot loader. grub or whatever.
    That's where the kernel command line is set.

E.g edit /etc/default/grub and add ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable, and then run update-grub to produce a new /boot/grub/grub.cfg configuration file.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is not available i.e.<b> net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6</b> i.e. net.ipv6 itself is not available. <br></div><div><br></div><div>$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6<br>sysctl:
    cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6: No such file or directory<br></div><div><br></div><div>I want to enable and disable IPv6 when the Linux box is up and running. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Sysctls worked but not for new namespaces. Is this a limitation
    of Linux?</div><div><br></div><div>BTW, the value is still 0 for disable_ipv6<br></div><div><br></div><div>$ cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6<br>0<br></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"
    class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"
    Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt; Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused here.<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; I booted up my Linux VM and set the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file:<br>

You need to make the change in your boot loader.  grub or whatever.<br> That&#39;s where the kernel command line is set.<br>

E.g edit /etc/default/grub and add ipv6.disable_ipv6=1 to the<br> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable, and then run update-grub to produce a new<br> /boot/grub/grub.cfg configuration file.<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to dkandula@gmail.com on Tue Jun 7 21:50:01 2022
    Hi All,
    If this is not supported in Linux, can I go ahead and file a bug/enhancement request against the Linux kernel?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 3:31 PM Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Marc for your email. With the grub option, the IPv6 feature itself
    may have been removed from the running Linux kernel. But, I want IPv6 functionality to be present in the kernel but with the capability to enable or disable it.

If disabled, IPv6 should be disabled on current namespaces and future namespaces, until I enable IPv6 again.

Is this possible in Linux?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM <marcoshalano@gmail.com> wrote:

Dheeraj,

You don't need to touch the /etc/sysctl.conf. You need to touch your
    bootloader configuration file. You can see an example of how to do it here: >> https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/

Thanks Bjørn for your response. I think I am getting a bit confused
    here.

file:

I saved the file.

*I rebooted my VM.*

After reboot, I check the value of
    "/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6". *It is still 0.*

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no
    <mailto:bjorn@mork.no>> wrote:

Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com <mailto:dkandula@gmail.com>>
    writes:

>
    > 0

> should be 1?

Yes, And if you boot with "ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" on the command line, >> > then it will be.

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Hi All,</div><div>       If this is not supported in Linux, can I go ahead and file a bug/enhancement request against the Linux kernel?</div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"
    class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 3:31 PM Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);
    padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks Marc for your email. With the grub option, the IPv6 feature itself may have been removed from the running Linux kernel. But, I want IPv6 functionality to be present in the kernel but with the capability to
    enable or disable it.</div><div><br></div><div>If disabled, IPv6 should be disabled on current namespaces and future namespaces, until I enable IPv6 again.</div><div><br></div><div>Is this possible in Linux?</div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></
    <br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM &lt;<a href="mailto:marcoshalano@gmail.com" target="_blank">marcoshalano@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px
    0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj,<br>

You don&#39;t need to touch the /etc/sysctl.conf. You need to touch your bootloader configuration file. You can see an example of how to do it here: <a href="https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank"
    https://www.thegeekdiary.com/centos-rhel-7-how-to-disable-ipv6/</a><br>

On 07/06/2022 15:33, Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1<br>
    &gt; net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; I saved the file.<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; *I rebooted my VM.*<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; After reboot, I check the value of <br>
    &gt; &quot;/sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;. *It is still 0.*<br> &gt; <br>
    &gt; As it is still 0, the new namespaces are created with IPv6 enabled. Is <br>
    &gt; this a bug in the kernel code?<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; Dheeraj<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 2:17 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no" target="_blank">bjorn@mork.no</a> <br>
    &gt; &lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no" target="_blank">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt;&gt; wrote:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a> &lt;mailto:<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt;&gt; writes:<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;      &gt; On my system I see the following values:<br>
    &gt;      &gt;<br>
    &gt;      &gt; $cat /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6<br>
    &gt;      &gt; 0<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Yes, that&#39;s the default unless you change it..<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;      &gt; Are you suggesting that &quot;cat<br>
    &gt;     /sys/module/ipv6/parameters/disable_ipv6&quot;<br>
    &gt;      &gt; should be 1?<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Yes, And if you boot with &quot;ipv6.disable_ipv6=1&quot; on the command line,<br>
    &gt;     then it will be.<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt;     Bjørn<br>
    &gt; <br>
    &gt; <br>

</blockquote></div>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Tue Jun 7 22:30:01 2022

Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6 itself is not available.

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6

Huh? Did you set ipv6.disable instead og ipv6.disable_ipv6? Those are
    very different, as documented in the module:

bjorn@miraculix:~$ modinfo ipv6
    name: ipv6
    filename: (builtin)
    alias: net-pf-10
    license: GPL
    file: net/ipv6/ipv6
    description: IPv6 protocol stack for Linux
    author: Cast of dozens
    parm: disable:Disable IPv6 module such that it is non-functional (int)
    parm: disable_ipv6:Disable IPv6 on all interfaces (int)
    parm: autoconf:Enable IPv6 address autoconfiguration on all interfaces (int)

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to bjorn@mork.no on Tue Jun 7 22:30:02 2022
    Thanks a lot Bjorn for pointing this out. I now have IPv6 disabled by
    default in newly created namespaces too.

However, when I enable IPv6 globally it is not enabled inside the already created namespaces. Maybe it has to be done explicitly. I will see if this behavior is acceptable.

Thanks a lot Bjorn. I really appreciate your time and patience.

Thanks, Marc too for taking the time to respond to my emails.

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option
    is
    not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6 itself
    is
    not available.

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6

parm: disable:Disable IPv6 module such that it is non-functional (int)
    parm: autoconf:Enable IPv6 address autoconfiguration on all interfaces (int)

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks a lot Bjorn for pointing this out. I now have IPv6 disabled by default in newly created namespaces too.<br></div><div><br></div><div>However, when I enable IPv6 globally it is not enabled inside the already created namespaces.
    Maybe it has to be done explicitly. I will see if this behavior is acceptable. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks a lot Bjorn. I really appreciate your time and patience. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks, Marc too for taking the time to respond to
    my emails.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote
    class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt; Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is<br>
    &gt; not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6 itself is<br>
    &gt; not available.<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; $ sudo sysctl net.ipv6<br>
    &gt; sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6: No such file or directory<br>

Huh?  Did you set ipv6.disable instead og ipv6.disable_ipv6?  Those are<br> very different, as documented in the module:<br>

bjorn@miraculix:~$ modinfo ipv6<br>
    name:           ipv6<br>
    filename:       (builtin)<br>
    alias:          net-pf-10<br>
    license:        GPL<br>
    file:           net/ipv6/ipv6<br>
    description:    IPv6 protocol stack for Linux<br>
    author:         Cast of dozens<br>
    parm:           disable:Disable IPv6 module such that it is non-functional (int)<br>
    parm:           disable_ipv6:Disable IPv6 on all interfaces (int)<br> parm:           autoconf:Enable IPv6 address autoconfiguration on all interfaces (int)<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dheeraj Kandula@21:1/5 to dkandula@gmail.com on Wed Jun 8 17:20:01 2022
    I looked into the code to figure out where the IPv6 configuration is copied from for a new namespace.

I came across this function addrconf_init_net. I assume this is the
    function that is invoked when a new namespace is created.

Inside this function, I came across this code,

if (IS_ENABLED <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/IS_ENABLED>(CONFIG_SYSCTL <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/K/ident/CONFIG_SYSCTL>) &&
    !net_eq <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_eq>(net,
    &init_net <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net>))
    {
    switch <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/switch> (sysctl_devconf_inherit_init_net <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/sysctl_devconf_inherit_init_net>)
    {
    case 1: /* copy from init_net */
    memcpy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy>(all
    <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/all>, init_net <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net>.ipv6 <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6>.devconf_all <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_all>,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf>));
    memcpy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy>(dflt
    <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt>, init_net <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net>.ipv6 <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6>.devconf_dflt <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_dflt>,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf_dflt <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf_dflt>));
    break <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/break>;
    case 3: /* copy from the current netns */
    memcpy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy>(all
    <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/all>, current <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/current>->nsproxy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/nsproxy>->net_ns <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_ns>->ipv6 <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6>.devconf_all <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_all>,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf>));
    memcpy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy>(dflt
    <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt>,
    current <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/current>->nsproxy <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/nsproxy>->net_ns <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_ns>->ipv6 <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6>.devconf_dflt <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_dflt>,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf_dflt <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf_dflt>));
    case 0:
    case 2:
    /* use compiled values */
    }
    }

If I set the value of net.core.devconf_inherit_init_net to 1, when a
    new namespace is created the values in init_net(which again I assume
    is init process' namespace value - global/default namespace)

will be copied into the new namespace. A few lines later, the
    following code is present.

dflt <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt>->disable_ipv6 <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/disable_ipv6> =
    ipv6_defaults <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_defaults>.disable_ipv6
    <https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/disable_ipv6>;
    <<<<< This ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 comes from the GRUB command line
    value of disable_ipv6.

Hence if I enable IPv6 before creating a new namespace, the new
    namespace still will have IPv6 disabled, because of the above single
    line of code. Is this correct?

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 is used to change the IPv6 state for
    all the currently available interfaces.

net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 has the default value from ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 i.e. the grub one. If I change this sysctl,
    what impact does it have?

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Dheeraj Kandula <dkandula@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot Bjorn for pointing this out. I now have IPv6 disabled by
    default in newly created namespaces too.

However, when I enable IPv6 globally it is not enabled inside the already created namespaces. Maybe it has to be done explicitly. I will see if this behavior is acceptable.

Thanks a lot Bjorn. I really appreciate your time and patience.

Thanks, Marc too for taking the time to respond to my emails.

Dheeraj

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bjørn Mork <bjorn@mork.no> wrote:

Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option >> is
    not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6
    itself is
    not available.

$ sudo sysctl net.ipv6

parm: disable:Disable IPv6 module such that it is
    non-functional (int)
    parm: autoconf:Enable IPv6 address autoconfiguration on all
    interfaces (int)

Bjørn

<div dir="ltr"><div>I looked into the code to figure out where the IPv6 configuration is copied from for a new namespace.<br></div><div><br></div><div>I came across this function addrconf_init_net. I assume this is the function that is invoked when a new
    namespace is created.</div><div><br></div><div>Inside this function, I came across this code, <br></div><div><br></div><div><pre> <span class="gmail-k">if</span> <span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/
    linux/latest/C/ident/IS_ENABLED">IS_ENABLED</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/K/ident/CONFIG_SYSCTL">CONFIG_SYSCTL</a></span><span class="gmail-p">)</span> <span class="gmail-o">
    &amp;&amp;</span>
    <span class="gmail-o">!</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_eq">net_eq</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n">net</span><span class="gmail-p">,</span> <span class="gmail-o">&
    amp;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net">init_net</a></span><span class="gmail-p">))</span> <span class="gmail-p">{</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/switch">switch</a></span> <span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/sysctl_devconf_inherit_init_net">
    sysctl_devconf_inherit_init_net</a></span><span class="gmail-p">)</span> <span class="gmail-p">{</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">case</span> <span class="gmail-mi">1</span><span class="gmail-o">:</span> <span class="gmail-cm">/* copy from init_net */</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy">memcpy</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/all">all</a></span><span class="gmail-
    p">,</span> <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net">init_net</a></span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6">ipv6</a></span><
    span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_all">devconf_all</a></span><span class="gmail-p">,</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">sizeof</span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf">ipv6_devconf</a></span><span class="gmail-p">));</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy">memcpy</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt">dflt</a></span><span class="
    gmail-p">,</span> <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/init_net">init_net</a></span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6">ipv6</a></
    span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_dflt">devconf_dflt</a></span><span class="gmail-p">,</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">sizeof</span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf_dflt">ipv6_devconf_dflt</a></span><span class="gmail-p">));</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/break">break</a></span><span class="gmail-p">;</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">case</span> <span class="gmail-mi">3</span><span class="gmail-o">:</span> <span class="gmail-cm">/* copy from the current netns */</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy">memcpy</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/all">all</a></span><span class="gmail-
    p">,</span> <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/current">current</a></span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/nsproxy">nsproxy</a></
    span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_ns">net_ns</a></span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/
    ident/ipv6">ipv6</a></span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_all">devconf_all</a></span><span class="gmail-p">,</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">sizeof</span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf">ipv6_devconf</a></span><span class="gmail-p">));</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/memcpy">memcpy</a></span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt">dflt</a></span><span class="
    gmail-p">,</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/current">current</a></span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/nsproxy">nsproxy</a></
    span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/net_ns">net_ns</a></span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/
    ident/ipv6">ipv6</a></span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/devconf_dflt">devconf_dflt</a></span><span class="gmail-p">,</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">sizeof</span><span class="gmail-p">(</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_devconf_dflt">ipv6_devconf_dflt</a></span><span class="gmail-p">));</span>
    <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/break">break</a></span><span class="gmail-p">;</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">case</span> <span class="gmail-mi">0</span><span class="gmail-o">:</span>
    <span class="gmail-k">case</span> <span class="gmail-mi">2</span><span class="gmail-o">:</span>
    <span class="gmail-cm">/* use compiled values */</span>
    <span class="gmail-p">}</span>
    <span class="gmail-p">}<br><br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p">If I set the value of net.core.devconf_inherit_init_net to 1, when a new namespace is created the values in init_net(which again I assume is init process&#39; namespace value -
    global/default namespace)<br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p">will be copied into the new namespace. A few lines later, the following code is present.<br><br><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/dflt">dflt<
    </span><span class="gmail-o">-&gt;</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/disable_ipv6">disable_ipv6</a></span> <span class="gmail-o">=</span> <span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/
    linux/latest/C/ident/ipv6_defaults">ipv6_defaults</a></span><span class="gmail-p">.</span><span class="gmail-n"><a href="https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/C/ident/disable_ipv6">disable_ipv6</a></span><span class="gmail-p">; &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
    This ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 comes from the GRUB command line value of disable_ipv6.</span>
    <br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p">Hence if I enable IPv6 before creating a new namespace, the new namespace still will have IPv6 disabled, because of the above single line of code. Is this correct?<br><br><br></span></pre><pre><span class="
    gmail-p">net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 is used to change the IPv6 state for all the currently available interfaces.<br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p">net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 has the default value from ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 i.e.
    the grub one. If I change this sysctl, what impact does it have?<br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p"><br></span></pre><pre><span class="gmail-p">Dheeraj<br></span></pre></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On
    Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:25 PM Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div
    dir="ltr"><div>Thanks a lot Bjorn for pointing this out. I now have IPv6 disabled by default in newly created namespaces too.<br></div><div><br></div><div>However, when I enable IPv6 globally it is not enabled inside the already created namespaces. Maybe
    it has to be done explicitly. I will see if this behavior is acceptable. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks a lot Bjorn. I really appreciate your time and patience. <br></div><div><br></div><div>Thanks, Marc too for taking the time to respond to my
    emails.<br></div><div><br></div><div>Dheeraj<br></div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 4:05 PM Bjørn Mork &lt;<a href="mailto:bjorn@mork.no" target="_blank">bjorn@mork.no</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div>
    <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Dheeraj Kandula &lt;<a href="mailto:dkandula@gmail.com" target="_blank">dkandula@gmail.com</a>&gt; writes:<br>

&gt; Thanks Bjørn for the reply. But with the grub command line, IPv6 option is<br>
    &gt; not available i.e.* net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6* i.e. net.ipv6 itself is<br>
    &gt; not available.<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; $ sudo sysctl net.ipv6<br>
    &gt; sysctl: cannot stat /proc/sys/net/ipv6: No such file or directory<br>

Huh?  Did you set ipv6.disable instead og ipv6.disable_ipv6?  Those are<br> very different, as documented in the module:<br>

bjorn@miraculix:~$ modinfo ipv6<br>
    name:           ipv6<br>
    filename:       (builtin)<br>
    alias:          net-pf-10<br>
    license:        GPL<br>
    file:           net/ipv6/ipv6<br>
    description:    IPv6 protocol stack for Linux<br>
    author:         Cast of dozens<br>
    parm:           disable:Disable IPv6 module such that it is non-functional (int)<br>
    parm:           disable_ipv6:Disable IPv6 on all interfaces (int)<br> parm:           autoconf:Enable IPv6 address autoconfiguration on all interfaces (int)<br>

Bjørn<br>
    </blockquote></div>
    </blockquote></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?=@21:1/5 to Dheeraj Kandula on Thu Jun 9 09:10:01 2022

I looked into the code to figure out where the IPv6 configuration is copied from for a new namespace.

I came across this function addrconf_init_net. I assume this is the function that is invoked when a new namespace is created.

Inside this function, I came across this code,

if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_SYSCTL) &&
    !net_eq(net, &init_net)) {
    switch (sysctl_devconf_inherit_init_net) {
    case 1: /* copy from init_net */
    memcpy(all, init_net.ipv6.devconf_all,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf));
    memcpy(dflt, init_net.ipv6.devconf_dflt,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf_dflt));
    break;
    case 3: /* copy from the current netns */
    memcpy(all, current->nsproxy->net_ns->ipv6.devconf_all,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf));
    memcpy(dflt,
    current->nsproxy->net_ns->ipv6.devconf_dflt,
    sizeof(ipv6_devconf_dflt));
    break;
    case 0:
    case 2:
    /* use compiled values */
    break;
    }
    }

If I set the value of net.core.devconf_inherit_init_net to 1, when a new namespace is created the values in init_net(which again I assume is init process' namespace value - global/default namespace)

will be copied into the new namespace. A few lines later, the following code is present.

dflt->disable_ipv6 = ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6; <<<<< This ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 comes from the GRUB command line value of disable_ipv6.

Hence if I enable IPv6 before creating a new namespace, the new namespace still will have IPv6 disabled, because of the above single line of code. Is this correct?

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 is used to change the IPv6 state for all the currently available interfaces.

net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 has the default value from ipv6_defaults.disable_ipv6 i.e. the grub one. If I change this sysctl, what impact does it have?

Yes, this looks inconsistent.

It might have been intentional to avoid breaking existing behaviour,
    since the inherit_init_net knob was added long after the default
    disable_ipv6 stuff. But there doesn't seem to have been any discussion
    around this when that knob was first introduced: https://lore.kernel.org/all/20190122.110739.525639247784135260.davem@davemloft.net/T/
    This is unsuspected if it was intentional. I would have expected at
    least a comment in the commit message.

I suggest you ask about this on the netdev@vger.kernel.org list. They
    are the experts. Don't know how easy it is attracting attention to such
    a question though... One trick might be to send a patch fixing the
    problem. That should at least provoke a discussion. Or simply be
    applied if everyone agrees that it's correct ;-)

Bjørn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05