• Bug#1034378: Allow Percentage Formatting in apt

From Emir SARI@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 15 17:40:01 2023
    --Apple-Mail-EB50E477-A0DD-4763-A451-4D70C6A4DFE9
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Esenlikler,

Aşağıdaki iletiyi ve hata kaydını dikkatinize sunarım. Özet olarak, apt içindeki yüzde değerlerinin biçimlendirmesi Türkçeye uygun değil ve bunun henüz çeviriye açık olmadığı diziler var. Geliştirici isteğine istinaden çeviri takı
    mından birisi aşağıdaki hata kaydını yanıtlayıp durumu onaylarsa sevinirim.

Şimdiden teşekkürler.
    Emir

iPhone’umdan gönderildi

İleti başlangıcı:

Kimden: David Kalnischkies <david@kalnischkies.de>
    Tarih: 15 Nisan 2023 15:31:32 GMT+3
    Kime: Emir SARI <emir_sari@icloud.com>, 1034378@bugs.debian.org
    Konu: Ynt: Bug#1034378: Allow Percentage Formatting in apt

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 11:49:01PM +0300, Emir SARI wrote:
    The percentage formatting among different locales can vary. For instance, Turkish uses %100 style formatting, whereas French uses 100 %. There are also other languages that use varying styles like using non-break spaces between the sign and the number
    and else. However, the percentage values displayed in apt only uses a fixed format, such as 100%.

Can you give example(s) of the messages you refer to?

On the top of my head I can only think of the bottom line while packages
    are installed, which reads (in English) "Progress: [ 42%] …" (on a green background). That message, including the percentage value is already translatable.

A few translations have this line translated so far, Turkish among them
    which reads as of today:

msgid "Progress: [%3li%%]"
    msgstr "Durum: [%3li%%]"

French has it translated, too, but also hasn't touched the %3li%% part.

So you might want to talk it up with the respektive language teams and
    last active translation maintainers (see the top of the po files in the source for the contact information). My own knowledge in either language
    (as well as many others) is non-existent.

The other place I can think of is the progress indication shown as the
    bottom line while files are downloaded (e.g. indexes in 'update' or debs pretty much everywhere else).

These "%.0f%%" are indeed not marked for translation, but I am not sure
    if it is a good idea as they come without any explanation and show info pretty densely more or less to the benefit of "something is happening"
    rather than "here are all the details you could possibly ask for so you
    can refer back to this great knowledge forever".

Never the less I suppose we can put in the work to make them
    translatable (currently the formatting is hardcoded in a few places,
    that would need to be fixed).
    On the other hand, it seems pointless labour to make the string
    translatable if a similar translatable string isn't used in this way,
    so as a compromise I suggest a deal: I will see to implement it if
    a language team/translator asks for it here.

(translation updates are allowed in freeze, the other part would likely
    need to wait for trixie through as that likely doesn't sell as release- critical code change)

Best regards

David Kalnischkies

--Apple-Mail-EB50E477-A0DD-4763-A451-4D70C6A4DFE9
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></head><body dir="auto"><div dir="ltr"><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">Esenlikler,<div><br></div><div>Aşağıdaki iletiyi ve hata kaydı
    nı dikkatinize sunarım. Özet olarak, apt içindeki yüzde değerlerinin biçimlendirmesi Türkçeye uygun değil ve bunun henüz çeviriye açık olmadığı diziler var. Geliştirici isteğine istinaden çeviri takımından birisi aşağıdaki hata
    kaydını yanıtlayıp durumu onaylarsa sevinirim.</div><div><br></div><div>Şimdiden teşekkürler.</div><div>Emir<br><br><div dir="ltr">iPhone’umdan gönderildi</div><div dir="ltr"><br>İleti başlangıcı:<br><br></div><blockquote type="cite"><div
    dir="ltr"><b>Kimden:</b> David Kalnischkies &lt;david@kalnischkies.de&gt;<br><b>Tarih:</b> 15 Nisan 2023 15:31:32 GMT+3<br><b>Kime:</b> Emir SARI &lt;emir_sari@icloud.com&gt;, 1034378@bugs.debian.org<br><b>Konu:</b> <b>Ynt: Bug#1034378: Allow Percentage
    Formatting in apt</b><br><br></div></blockquote><blockquote type="cite"><div dir="ltr"><span>Hi,</span><br><span></span><br><span>On Thu, Apr 13, 2023 at 11:49:01PM +0300, Emir SARI wrote:</span><br><blockquote type="cite"><span>The percentage
    formatting among different locales can vary. For instance, Turkish uses %100 style formatting, whereas French uses 100 %. There are also other languages that use varying styles like using non-break spaces between the sign and the number and else. However,
    the percentage values displayed in apt only uses a fixed format, such as 100%.</span><br></blockquote><span></span><br><span>Can you give example(s) of the messages you refer to?</span><br><span></span><br><span></span><br><span>On the top of my head I
    can only think of the bottom line while packages</span><br><span>are installed, which reads (in English) "Progress: [ 42%] …" (on a green</span><br><span>background). That message, including the percentage value is already</span><br><span>translatable.<
    /span><br><span></span><br><span>A few translations have this line translated so far, Turkish among them</span><br><span>which reads as of today:</span><br><span></span><br><span>msgid "Progress: [%3li%%]"</span><br><span>msgstr "Durum: [%3li%%]"</span><
    <span></span><br><span>French has it translated, too, but also hasn't touched the %3li%% part.</span><br><span></span><br><span>So you might want to talk it up with the respektive language teams and</span><br><span>last active translation maintainers (
    see the top of the po files in the</span><br><span>source for the contact information). My own knowledge in either language</span><br><span>(as well as many others) is non-existent.</span><br><span></span><br><span></span><br><span>The other place I can
    think of is the progress indication shown as the</span><br><span>bottom line while files are downloaded (e.g. indexes in 'update' or debs</span><br><span>pretty much everywhere else).</span><br><span></span><br><span>These "%.0f%%" are indeed not marked
    for translation, but I am not sure</span><br><span>if it is a good idea as they come without any explanation and show info</span><br><span>pretty densely more or less to the benefit of "something is happening"</span><br><span>rather than "here are all
    the details you could possibly ask for so you</span><br><span>can refer back to this great knowledge forever".</span><br><span></span><br><span>Never the less I suppose we can put in the work to make them</span><br><span>translatable (currently the
    formatting is hardcoded in a few places,</span><br><span>that would need to be fixed).</span><br><span>On the other hand, it seems pointless labour to make the string</span><br><span>translatable if a similar translatable string isn't used in this way,</
    span><br><span>so as a compromise I suggest a deal: I will see to implement it if</span><br><span>a language team/translator asks for it here.</span><br><span></span><br><span>(translation updates are allowed in freeze, the other part would likely</span><
    <span> need to wait for trixie through as that likely doesn't sell as release-</span><br><span> critical code change)</span><br><span></span><br><span></span><br><span>Best regards</span><br><span></span><br><span>David Kalnischkies</span><br></div></
    blockquote></div></div></body></html> --Apple-Mail-EB50E477-A0DD-4763-A451-4D70C6A4DFE9--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)