• debian9 amd64 failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device sca

From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 11:20:01 2017
    Hello:
    On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a raid1-based
    on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a higher CUDA
    version than available on jessie for latest experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) led to
    failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, whereby an endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN) equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.

3) From said VAIO:
    # systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service

OK, but it was lost on needed reboot.

I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am lost.

Thanks for any kind suggestion

francesco pietra

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Hello:<br></div>On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a higher CUDA version than
    available on jessie for latest experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command<br><br></div># systemctl set-default multi-user.target<br><br></div>(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) led to failure
    to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br><br></div>I tried:<br><br></div>1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix the problem.<br><br></div>2) Accessing the X79
    computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN) equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.<br><br></div>3) From said VAIO:<br></div> # systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service<br><br></div>OK, but it was lost on needed reboot.<br>
    <br></div>I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am lost.<br><br></div>Thanks for any kind suggestion<br><br></div>francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br> <br><div><div><div><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></
    </div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 11:30:01 2017
    I understand that udev is in focus, however I don't know how to marriage lvmetad and udev

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello:
    On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a
    raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a higher CUDA version than available on jessie for latest experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command

failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, whereby an endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN) equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.

3) From said VAIO:

francesco pietra

<div dir="ltr"><div>I understand that udev is in focus, however I don&#39;t know how to marriage lvmetad and udev<br><br></div>francesco pietra<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Francesco
    Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><
    <div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Hello:<br></div>On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a higher CUDA version than available on jessie for
    latest experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command<br><br></div># systemctl set-default multi-user.target<br><br></div>(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) led to failure to connect to lvmetad,
    falling back to device scanning, whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br><br></div>I tried:<br><br></div>1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix the problem.<br><br></div>2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (
    both are on a LAN) equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.<br><br></div>3) From said VAIO:<br></div> # systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service<br><br></div>OK, but it was lost on needed reboot.<br><br></div>I never had to
    reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am lost.<br><br></div>Thanks for any kind suggestion<span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br> <br><
    <div><div><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></font></span></div>
    </blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darac Marjal@21:1/5 to Francesco Pietra on Fri May 19 11:40:02 2017
    On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17:44AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
    Hello:
    raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need
    a higher CUDA version than available on jessie for latest
    experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the
    command

failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning,
    whereby an endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to
    fix the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN)
    equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

Have you enabled the daemon in lvm.conf? Look for "use_lvmetad".

However, I think this should not be a problem. lvmetad is the LVM
    Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a lot
    of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad can
    speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal usage
    and ~99% of people can ignore the "failure to connect" message.

francesco pietra

--
    For more information, please reread.

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQJqBAABCgBUFiEE1A0c5XWknk+U2MemZUdBNabqRbUFAlkeq8s2FIAAAAAAFQAY cGthLWFkZHJlc3NAZ251cGcub3JnbWFpbGluZ2xpc3RAZGFyYWMub3JnLnVrAAoJ EGVHQTWm6kW1Ls4QAKvaHJcnFDds0ZNkNSW47C6dyluH65D177o3EBlcXPiq7y5g NDMFkPQbCIw75qTCLDlHOvYQypqNBQrXGD3d4r58gbI09kGFNEWT/PgdtQHywpoC yw+WYXDhgcDDuyWAOvVu/TNFprpW1KthyqdwG2bWVE1IRV+1FO2TuixLUAz8JI38 jfBYNsj3ei7o68viubk9AYgp8K80kRCzRVfE6hfv+ouPW5MFyWmt9ACpMW8s20/F 5jCCRZXKEqoqm+jPytGJsfl6lGqYNSTcNxUQ0tgC+zx0+M845f5pA08OQ72ini43 du6JzRG5Y84fj1fcwmDQDXW32m+o5xIPEzvu2gNp56dKrkp1gCyR6BchJwNsg9sK xIXNOosoEUVKbmiS8qNZ4ZsKli3ny7sE2Dychmk4TuXyqgSNiY3gWm4A6nLuTjDw dMaQ21TNR4ISSG/1nUaDMeP6kZgf9DiPn0Nu3MdnzmNOKK3rHHbCQHRiJNEiGoxx OXP2OX/LaZG0GZn+BAo1Xf5YUKKHNzGD4cqx1jhHZ0rwCmCrTGJqbCnYN5R8UP8O kii2V/0G4Lnk/S+Oq2YSmJoZaj4EMbeCqcBPUFgzpVyw5wf69xYcqD9+fwez56NM FnjKIcp9Xu45YKG4gRK9We+WZ+8X9DkBd7JPvwa6WJTWiZqNXbgUckCbbEds
    =+iXQ
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gat
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 11:50:02 2017
    I forgot to mention that

---changing in /etc/lvm from "use_lvmetad=1" to "use_lvmetad=0"

or commenting out in /etc/defaut/grub

---# GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

did not solve the problem

fp

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

I understand that udev is in focus, however I don't know how to marriage lvmetad and udev

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello:
    raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a
    higher CUDA version than available on jessie for latest experimental NAMD
    molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command

failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, whereby an >> endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix
    the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN) equally
    allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.

3) From said VAIO:

francesco pietra

<div dir="ltr"><div>I forgot to mention that<br><br>---changing in /etc/lvm from &quot;use_lvmetad=1&quot; to &quot;use_lvmetad=0&quot; <br><br></div><div>or commenting out in /etc/defaut/grub<br><br>---# GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=&quot;quiet&quot;<br></
    <div><br>did not solve the problem<br></div><br><br>fp<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:21 AM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">
    chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div>I understand that udev is in focus, however I don&#39;t know how to marriage lvmetad
    and udev<span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br></font></span></div><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On
    Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;
    padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Hello:<br></div>On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need a higher
    CUDA version than available on jessie for latest experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the command<br><br></div># systemctl set-default multi-user.target<br><br></div>(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux
    prompt) led to failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br><br></div>I tried:<br><br></div>1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to fix the problem.<br><br></div>2)
    Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN) equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the problem.<br><br></div>3) From said VAIO:<br></div> # systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service<br><br></div>OK, but it was lost on
    needed reboot.<br><br></div>I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am lost.<br><br></div>Thanks for any kind suggestion<span class="m_-8484138958700721506HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="m_-
    8484138958700721506HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br> <br><div><div><div><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></font></span></div>
    </blockquote></div><br></div>
    </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 12:20:02 2017

"It is not required for normal usage"

The fact is that the X79-based computer does not offer a login possibility,
    it goes to disk scanning (kernel et al) for hours (at least 4hr).

Access to file was only possible from a LAN-connected other computer
    (laptop VAIO) or booting from Super Grub2 disk.

Whether all issues arise from inability to connect to lvmetad, I cannot
    say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).

fp

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

Hello:
    raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need
    experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the
    command

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to
    fix the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN)
    equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a lot
    of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad can
    speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal usage

francesco pietra

--

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">&quot;It is not required for normal usage&quot;<br></blockquote><br></div>The fact is that the X79-based
    computer does not offer a login possibility, it goes to disk scanning (kernel et al) for hours (at least 4hr).<br><br></div><div>Access to file was only possible from a LAN-connected other computer (laptop VAIO) or booting from Super Grub2 disk.<br><br></
    <div>Whether all issues arise from inability to connect to lvmetad, I cannot say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).<br></div><div><br></div>fp <br></div><div class=
    "gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
    style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class="">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17:44AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>
    <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
      Hello:<br>
      On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a<br>
      raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch (I need<br>
      a higher CUDA version than available on jessie for latest<br>
      experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly. However, the<br>
      command<br>

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target<br>

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) led to<br>
      failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning,<br>
      whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br>

I tried:<br>

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way to<br>
      fix the problem.<br>

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a LAN)<br>
      equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix the<br>
      problem.<br>

3) From said VAIO:<br>
       # systemctl enable lvm2-lvmetad.service<br>

OK, but it was lost on needed reboot.<br>

I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am lost.<br>

Thanks for any kind suggestion<br>
    </blockquote>
    <br></span>
    Have you enabled the daemon in lvm.conf? Look for &quot;use_lvmetad&quot;.<br>

However, I think this should not be a problem. lvmetad is the LVM<br>
    Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a lot<br>
    of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad can<br>
    speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal usage<br>
    and ~99% of people can ignore the &quot;failure to connect&quot; message.<br>

<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

francesco pietra<br>
       <span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br> </font></span></blockquote><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">

-- <br>
    For more information, please reread.<br> </font></span></blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 19 17:20:02 2017

Your server is booting, but not providing a login

I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear
    during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to
    disk. I was unable to stop (with Ctrl-S) at the login request.

Can you log in on
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)?

No, nothing happens with on Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the GPU server keyboard.

from the VAIO, what does "grep -E 'WW|EE'
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log" show (on the server, perhaps as root)?

francesco@.....:~$ grep -E 'WW|EE' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    [ 56.025] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not
    exist.
    [ 56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd', 'mouse'
    or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
    [ 56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0
    [ 56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0
    francesco@.....:~$ su
    Password:
    root@.....:/home/francesco# grep -E 'WW|EE' /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    exist.
    root@.......:/home/francesco#

Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.

thanks a lot for your kind help

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:25AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:

The fact is that the X79-based computer does not offer a login
    possibility, it goes to disk scanning (kernel et al) for hours (at
    least 4hr).

Whether all issues arise from inability to connect to lvmetad, I
    cannot say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based
    machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).
    fp

Personally, I doubt that your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is related
    to how the disks are access, but perhaps you've got a very special
    system.

Also, I'm not sure what issue you're... Oh, I see what's happening!

Your server is booting, but not providing a login. You ARE able to log
    into the server using another computer on the network. This means that
    the server HAS booted from the disk(s). LVM is *not* your problem (if it
    was, the system would probably not be able to load
    /etc/network/interfaces in order to bring up the network, nor the SSH
    daemon, nor the user's home directory ...)

The issue you're having is more likely with that GPU. Can you log in on
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)? When
    you log in from the VAIO, what does "grep -E 'WW|EE'

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal
    <[1]mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

Hello:
    raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch
    (I need
    experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly.
    However, the
    command

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt)
    led to

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way
    to
    fix the problem.

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a
    LAN)
    equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix
    the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am
    lost.

Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a
    lot
    of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad
    can
    speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal
    usage

francesco pietra

--

References

Visible links
    1. mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk

--

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Your server is booting, but not providing a login<br></blockquote><br></div>I forgot to say
    that the request of username/password does indeed appear during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to disk. I was unable to stop (with Ctrl-S) at the login request.<br><br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:
    1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">Can you log in on<br>
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)?<br></blockquote><br></div>No, nothing happens with on Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the GPU server keyboard.<br><br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);
    padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br>
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log&quot; show (on the server, perhaps as root)?<br></blockquote><br>francesco@.....:~$ grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>[  
      56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>francesco@.....:~$ su<br>Password: <br>root@.....:/home/francesco# grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>[  
      56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>root@.......:/home/francesco#<br><br></div>Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.<br><br></div>thanks a lot for your kind help<br><br></div>
    francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">
    mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class="">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:25AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>
        &quot;It is not required for normal usage&quot;<br>

The fact is that the X79-based computer does not offer a login<br>
      possibility, it goes to disk scanning (kernel et al) for hours (at<br>
      least 4hr).<br>

Access to file was only possible from a LAN-connected other computer<br>
      (laptop VAIO) or booting from Super Grub2 disk.<br>

Whether all issues arise from inability to connect to lvmetad, I<br>
      cannot say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based<br>
      machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).<br>
      fp<br>
    </blockquote>
    <br></span>
    Personally, I doubt that your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is related<br>
    to how the disks are access, but perhaps you&#39;ve got a very special<br> system.<br>

Also, I&#39;m not sure what issue you&#39;re... Oh, I see what&#39;s happening!<br>

Your server is booting, but not providing a login. You ARE able to log<br>
    into the server using another computer on the network. This means that<br>
    the server HAS booted from the disk(s). LVM is *not* your problem (if it<br> was, the system would probably not be able to load<br>
    /etc/network/interfaces in order to bring up the network, nor the SSH<br> daemon, nor the user&#39;s home directory ...)<br>

The issue you&#39;re having is more likely with that GPU. Can you log in on<br> a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)? When<br>
    you log in from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br> /var/log/Xorg.0.log&quot; show (on the server, perhaps as root)?<br>

<blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class="">
      On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal<br></span><div><div class="h5">
      &lt;[1]<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17:44AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>

On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a<br>         raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch<br>       (I need<br>
            experimental NAMD molecular dynamics) went on regularly.<br>
          However, the<br>
            command<br>

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt)<br>       led to<br>
            failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning,<br>         whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br>

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way<br>       to<br>
            fix the problem.<br>

2) Accessing the X79 computer from said VAIO (both are on a<br>
          LAN)<br>
            equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix<br>
          the<br>
            problem.<br>

I never had to reinstall a debian amd64 but this time I am<br>
          lost.<br>

Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a<br>     lot<br>
        of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad<br>
        can<br>
        speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal<br>
        usage<br>

francesco pietra<br>
             <br>

--<br>
        For more information, please reread.<br>
    <br></div></div>
    References<br>

Visible links<br>
      1. mailto:<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.u<wbr>k</a><br>
    </blockquote><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5">

-- <br>
    For more information, please reread.<br> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darac Marjal@21:1/5 to Francesco Pietra on Fri May 19 12:40:02 2017

least 4hr).

fp

system.

Hello:
    (I need
    However, the
      command

led to

I tried:

to
      fix the problem.

LAN)
    the
      problem.

3) From said VAIO:

lost.

lot
    can
    usage

francesco pietra

--

References

Visible links

--

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQJqBAABCgBUFiEE1A0c5XWknk+U2MemZUdBNabqRbUFAlkeu4o2FIAAAAAAFQAY cGthLWFkZHJlc3NAZ251cGcub3JnbWFpbGluZ2xpc3RAZGFyYWMub3JnLnVrAAoJ EGVHQTWm6kW1GzoP/AzHzktg8g3osQHm6JXkU8zcYUlumP8/6r8JxP8qjTlu9dRM yGJjsHTCcGqno2gokXHheqFXOtkwKgF6Iao2cgqQ1t/y1wlR/Zx90ECldm0S61j5 dRhnnNDtBFrVtKriLj4hekGtGnkV+vmd8zil3CIYDK54L0eqqXIWYYJPhVVMKoO8 3x109oF3aUshgqOavb2ajW3KcP7ikPa8FytBq8uqPbct4e0AmPLVuHF4uRDK6B+2 9G+tDOLvK9OmfgNcxbSCUNcKaoL4qCs3WUUXd7i20HNze/EhxL84gmjub8Hb6i3H xa5ZSMR/AQNpCLCm2v2AfoeaY6NW5iQ0YHM24J3FHq4YQQ50zBHqgfDxQdXOmLnQ egidfaPZ5gwa/jNGXnI+ZDNWLVqtmdy60Z4VnjaDsn2VMd1O4PxERPAvxJUrCuhc 8l9nHmDEBz5Z9xFJAXrrWXsXhWfrGIW/JQcXPOq9k+Xrmkn7bHOAKSZzUqccxh7A ugd3AAk/a4CNbDdvTgbjzIArZbmXWKgnxQf7A1fZqVPZkIypU1SYFYULvIPeee+9 MGxLCXJ5tbXEHLl8cxjS31WjQUz/zsdCHlXyuvt/aDWiaO+w7trRnoMVfoLsbXBP tJ3mHdV8e0PEGgEKq5U+bX+ZHDlyHVgZ1ia7/Qxfm0tWZdRjs55v+HvM9WtF
    =nWi+
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gat
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 21 12:40:01 2017
    Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that the Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as
    a superuser.

I had to change "allowed_users=console" (which is default on all my linux boxes) to "allowed_users=anybody" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.

This way the "X" or "startx" commands do their job perfectly, however only
    from the vaio console. In the "defective" system, rebooting from the
    console brings again to warnings about failure to connect to lvmetad and
    EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and
    then "disk scanning" and no way to get the login prompt prompt via
    Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console.

At this point, all that appears to be a silly problem but I could not find
    a solution. Having to reinstall amd64 would be a defeat.

fp

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to

Can you log in on

[ 56.025] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
    Password:
    [ 56.025] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.

Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk> wrote:

least 4hr).

fp

system.

Hello:
    (I need
    However, the
    command

led to

I tried:

to
    fix the problem.

LAN)
    the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

lost.

lot
    can
    usage

francesco pietra

--

References

Visible links

--

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div>Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that the Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as a superuser.<br><br></div>I had to change &quot;allowed_users=console&
    quot; (which is default on all my linux boxes) to &quot;allowed_users=anybody&quot; in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.<br><br></div>This way the &quot;X&quot; or &quot;startx&quot; commands do their job perfectly, however only from the vaio console. In the &
    quot;defective&quot; system, rebooting from the console brings again to warnings about failure to connect to lvmetad and EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and then &quot;disk scanning&quot; and no way to get the login
    prompt prompt via Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console. <br><br></div>At this point, all that appears to be a silly problem but I could not find a solution. Having to  reinstall amd64 would be a defeat. <br><br></div>fp <br><div><div><div><
    <div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a target="_blank" href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:
    0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><span class="gmail-"><div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:
    1ex" class="gmail_quote">Your server is booting, but not providing a login<br></blockquote><br></div></span>I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to
    disk. I was unable to stop (with Ctrl-S) at the login request.<span class="gmail-"><br><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Can you log in on<br>
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)?<br></blockquote><br></span></div>No, nothing happens with on Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the GPU server keyboard.<span class="gmail-"><br><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px
    0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br>
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log&quot; show (on the server, perhaps as root)?<br></blockquote><br></span>francesco@.....:~$ grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/<wbr>cyrillic&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>
    [    56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>francesco@.....:~$ su<br>Password: <br>root@.....:/home/francesco# grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/<wbr>cyrillic&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>
    [    56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>root@.......:/home/francesco#<br><br></div>Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.<br><br></div>thanks a lot for your kind help<span class="
    gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></font></span></div><div class="gmail-HOEnZb"><div class="gmail-h5"><div class="
    gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a target="_blank" href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px
    0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><span>On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:25AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>
    <blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">

least 4hr).<br>

fp<br>
    </blockquote>
    <br></span>
    to how the disks are access, but perhaps you&#39;ve got a very special<br> system.<br>

Also, I&#39;m not sure what issue you&#39;re... Oh, I see what&#39;s happening!<br>

the server HAS booted from the disk(s). LVM is *not* your problem (if it<br> was, the system would probably not be able to load<br>
    /etc/network/interfaces in order to bring up the network, nor the SSH<br> daemon, nor the user&#39;s home directory ...)<br>

The issue you&#39;re having is more likely with that GPU. Can you log in on<br> a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)? When<br>
    you log in from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br> /var/log/Xorg.0.log&quot; show (on the server, perhaps as root)?<br>

<blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><span>
      On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal<br></span><div><div class="gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">
      &lt;[1]<a target="_blank" href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a<br>         raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch<br>       (I need<br>
          However, the<br>
            command<br>

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt)<br>       led to<br>
            failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning,<br>         whereby an endless disk scanning begun.<br>

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way<br>       to<br>
            fix the problem.<br>

LAN)<br>
          the<br>
            problem.<br>

lost.<br>

Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a<br>     lot<br>
        can<br>
        usage<br>

francesco pietra<br>
             <br>

--<br>
    <br></div></div>
    References<br>

Visible links<br>
      1. mailto:<a target="_blank" href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk">mailinglist@darac.org.u<wbr>k</a><br>
    </blockquote><div class="gmail-m_1798575067809467978HOEnZb"><div class="gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">

-- <br>
    For more information, please reread.<br> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div></div></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Sun May 21 20:30:02 2017
    I should add that, once the Xserver is launched by the aid of the other computer on LAN, the server works autonomously from its keyboard and
    terminals. I could run at an impressively high speed a most recent special
    form of molecular dynamics on the six cores, six threads, and the two
    GTX680 combined, with a recent cuda driver (375.39, offered by stretch).
    This is a very strict test. I could use the server this way for my
    scientific work but it would be unaesthetic at the best.

The need of setting the Xwrapper to anybody confirms that the user has no command of the console, but I was unable to go on this way toward avoiding
    the external assistance.

fp

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that the Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as
    a superuser.

I had to change "allowed_users=console" (which is default on all my linux boxes) to "allowed_users=anybody" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.

This way the "X" or "startx" commands do their job perfectly, however only from the vaio console. In the "defective" system, rebooting from the
    EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and then "disk scanning" and no way to get the login prompt prompt via Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console.

At this point, all that appears to be a silly problem but I could not find
    a solution. Having to reinstall amd64 would be a defeat.

fp

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear
    during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to

Can you log in on

exist.
    Password:
    exist.

Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy,
    and after that on upgrading to jessie.

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk>
    wrote:

least 4hr).

Access to file was only possible from a LAN-connected other computer >>>> (laptop VAIO) or booting from Super Grub2 disk.

cannot say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based >>>> machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).
    fp

system.

the server HAS booted from the disk(s). LVM is *not* your problem (if it >>> was, the system would probably not be able to load

Hello:
    On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a >>>> raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch
    (I need
    However, the
    command

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) >>>> led to
    failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, >>>> whereby an endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way >>>> to
    fix the problem.

LAN)
    the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

lost.

Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a >>>> lot
    can
    usage

francesco pietra

--

References

Visible links

--

<div dir="ltr"><div><div>I should add that, once the Xserver is launched by the aid of the other computer on LAN, the server works autonomously from its keyboard and terminals. I could run at an impressively high speed a most recent special form of
    molecular dynamics on the six cores, six threads, and the two GTX680 combined, with a recent cuda driver (375.39, offered by stretch). This is a very strict test. I could use the server this way for my scientific work but it would be unaesthetic at the
    best.<br><br></div>The need of setting the Xwrapper to anybody confirms that the user has no command of the console, but I was unable to go on this way toward avoiding the external assistance.<br><br></div>fp<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div
    class="gmail_quote">On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;
    border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div>Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that the Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as a superuser.<br><br></div>
    I had to change &quot;allowed_users=console&quot; (which is default on all my linux boxes) to &quot;allowed_users=anybody&quot; in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.<br><br></div>This way the &quot;X&quot; or &quot;startx&quot; commands do their job perfectly,
    however only from the vaio console. In the &quot;defective&quot; system, rebooting from the console brings again to warnings about failure to connect to lvmetad and EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and then &quot;
    disk scanning&quot; and no way to get the login prompt prompt via Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console. <br><br></div>At this point, all that appears to be a silly problem but I could not find a solution. Having to  reinstall amd64 would
    be a defeat. <br><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">fp <br></font></span><div><div class="h5"><div><div><div><br><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May
    19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-
    left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><span class="m_316483626894605963gmail-"><div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">Your server is booting,
    but not providing a login<br></blockquote><br></div></span>I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to disk. I was unable to stop (with Ctrl-S) at the
    login request.<span class="m_316483626894605963gmail-"><br><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Can you log in on<br>
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)?<br></blockquote><br></span></div>No, nothing happens with on Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the GPU server keyboard.<span class="m_316483626894605963gmail-"><br><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote"
    style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br>
    /var/log/Xorg.0.log&quot; show (on the server, perhaps as root)?<br></blockquote><br></span>francesco@.....:~$ grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic<wbr>&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>
    [    56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>francesco@.....:~$ su<br>Password: <br>root@.....:/home/francesco# grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39; /var/log/Xorg.0.log<br>    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.<br>[    56.025] (WW) The
    directory &quot;/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic<wbr>&quot; does not exist.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers &#39;kbd&#39;, &#39;mouse&#39; or &#39;vmmouse&#39; will be disabled.<br>[    56.070] (WW) Disabling Keyboard0<br>
    [    56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>root@.......:/home/francesco#<br><br></div>Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.<br><br></div>thanks a lot for your kind help<span class="m_
    316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="m_316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div></font></span></div><div class="m_
    316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><div class="m_316483626894605963gmail-h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">
    mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><span>On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:25AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>
    <blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">

least 4hr).<br>

fp<br>
    </blockquote>
    <br></span>

<blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><span>
      On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal<br></span><div><div class="m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">
      &lt;[1]<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt; wrote:<br>

However, the<br>
            command<br>

fix the problem.<br>

LAN)<br>
          the<br>
            problem.<br>

lost.<br>

can<br>
        usage<br>

francesco pietra<br>
             <br>

--<br>
    <br></div></div>
    References<br>

Visible links<br>
      1. mailto:<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.u<wbr>k</a><br>
    </blockquote><div class="m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978HOEnZb"><div class="m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">

-- <br>
    For more information, please reread.<br> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div> </blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 22 21:20:02 2017
    NEW:I have finally obtained a red-labeled line on booting, telling "Failed
    to load console system Reboot Logging"

This implies that it is not merely a problem of console ownership.

A rapid web survey failed to provide indications as to having the console loaded during booting on Debian amd64 stretch.

hope someone knows that

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

I should add that, once the Xserver is launched by the aid of the other computer on LAN, the server works autonomously from its keyboard and terminals. I could run at an impressively high speed a most recent special form of molecular dynamics on the six cores, six threads, and the two
    GTX680 combined, with a recent cuda driver (375.39, offered by stretch).
    This is a very strict test. I could use the server this way for my
    scientific work but it would be unaesthetic at the best.

The need of setting the Xwrapper to anybody confirms that the user has no command of the console, but I was unable to go on this way toward avoiding the external assistance.

fp

On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com> wrote:

Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that the
    Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as >> a superuser.

I had to change "allowed_users=console" (which is default on all my linux
    boxes) to "allowed_users=anybody" in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config.

This way the "X" or "startx" commands do their job perfectly, however
    only from the vaio console. In the "defective" system, rebooting from the
    EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and >> then "disk scanning" and no way to get the login prompt prompt via
    Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console.

At this point, all that appears to be a silly problem but I could not
    find a solution. Having to reinstall amd64 would be a defeat.

fp

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <chiendarret@gmail.com>
    wrote:

I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear >>> during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to

Can you log in on

[ 56.025] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does
    not exist.
    [ 56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd',
    'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
    Password:
    [ 56.025] (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does
    not exist.
    [ 56.070] (WW) Hotplugging is on, devices using drivers 'kbd',
    'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.

Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy,
    and after that on upgrading to jessie.

francesco pietra

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <mailinglist@darac.org.uk >>> > wrote:

possibility, it goes to disk scanning (kernel et al) for hours (at >>>>> least 4hr).

Access to file was only possible from a LAN-connected other computer >>>>> (laptop VAIO) or booting from Super Grub2 disk.

cannot say. I am no system analyzer. I merely need the X79-GPU-based >>>>> machine for applications (molecular dynamics with recent CUDA).
    fp

Personally, I doubt that your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) is related >>>> to how the disks are access, but perhaps you've got a very special
    system.

Your server is booting, but not providing a login. You ARE able to log >>>> into the server using another computer on the network. This means that >>>> the server HAS booted from the disk(s). LVM is *not* your problem (if it >>>> was, the system would probably not be able to load

The issue you're having is more likely with that GPU. Can you log in on >>>> a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)? When >>>> you log in from the VAIO, what does "grep -E 'WW|EE'

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:17:44AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote: >>>>>
    Hello:
    On a vintage VAIO I have no problems with amd64 stretch. With a >>>>> raid1-based on the X79 chip, upgrading from jessie to stretch >>>>> (I need
    However, the
    command

(which worked fine on said VAIO to boot at the $ linux prompt) >>>>> led to
    failure to connect to lvmetad, falling back to device scanning, >>>>> whereby an endless disk scanning begun.

I tried:

1) Super grub2 disk: OK it led to clean boot but I found no way >>>>> to
    fix the problem.

LAN)
    equally allowed to manage everything but I was unable to fix >>>>> the
    problem.

3) From said VAIO:

lost.

Have you enabled the daemon in lvm.conf? Look for "use_lvmetad". >>>>>
    However, I think this should not be a problem. lvmetad is the LVM >>>>> Metadata Daemon, which is primarily a caching daemon. If you have a >>>>> lot
    of disks, or change your logical volumes frequently, the lvmetad >>>>> can
    speed up the varioud LVM commands. It is not required for normal >>>>> usage

francesco pietra

--

References

Visible links

--

<div dir="ltr"><div>NEW:I have finally obtained a red-labeled line on booting, telling &quot;Failed to load console system Reboot Logging&quot;<br><br>This implies that it is not merely a problem of console ownership.<br><br>A rapid web survey failed to
    provide indications as to having the console loaded during booting on Debian amd64 stretch.<br><br></div>hope someone knows that<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="
    ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div>I should add
    that, once the Xserver is launched by the aid of the other computer on LAN, the server works autonomously from its keyboard and terminals. I could run at an impressively high speed a most recent special form of molecular dynamics on the six cores, six
    threads, and the two GTX680 combined, with a recent cuda driver (375.39, offered by stretch). This is a very strict test. I could use the server this way for my scientific work but it would be unaesthetic at the best.<br><br></div>The need of setting the
    Xwrapper to anybody confirms that the user has no command of the console, but I was unable to go on this way toward avoiding the external assistance.<span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#
    888888">fp<br></font></span></div><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com" target="_blank">
    chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div>Back to your suspicion about the GTX680, I was really surprised that
    the Xserver could be raised from the other computer (vaio) on the LAN, only as a superuser.<br><br></div>I had to change &quot;allowed_users=console&quot; (which is default on all my linux boxes) to &quot;allowed_users=anybody&quot; in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.
    config.<br><br></div>This way the &quot;X&quot; or &quot;startx&quot; commands do their job perfectly, however only from the vaio console. In the &quot;defective&quot; system, rebooting from the console brings again to warnings about failure to connect
    to lvmetad and EDAC sbridge, followed the login prompt, which disappears immediately, and then &quot;disk scanning&quot; and no way to get the login prompt prompt via Ctrl+AlT+F2 (or F1 or F3). Like for a dead console. <br><br></div>At this point, all
    that appears to be a silly problem but I could not find a solution. Having to  reinstall amd64 would be a defeat. <br><span class="m_6910552011612998737HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br></font></span></div><span class="m_6910552011612998737HOEnZb"><font
    color="#888888">fp <br></font></span><div><div class="m_6910552011612998737h5"><div><div><div><br><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 4:12 PM, Francesco Pietra <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@
    gmail.com" target="_blank">chiendarret@gmail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><span class="m_
    6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-"><div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">Your server is booting, but not providing a login<br></blockquote><br></div></
    span>I forgot to say that the request of username/password does indeed appear during booting but transiently, followed by that interminable access to disk. I was unable to stop (with Ctrl-S) at the login request.<span class="m_6910552011612998737m_
    316483626894605963gmail-"><br><br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Can you log in on<br>
    a VT console (press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to see if you get a login prompt)?<br></blockquote><br></span></div>No, nothing happens with on Ctrl+Alt+F2 from the GPU server keyboard.<span class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-"><br><br><blockquote
    class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">from the VAIO, what does &quot;grep -E &#39;WW|EE&#39;<br>
    [    56.070] (WW) Disabling Mouse0<br>root@.......:/home/francesco#<br><br></div>Those two GPUs had worked without problems on this server with wheezy, and after that on upgrading to jessie.<br><br></div>thanks a lot for your kind help<span class="m_
    6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br><br></font></span></div><span class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><br><br></div></div></div><
    /font></span></div><div class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-HOEnZb"><div class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Darac Marjal <
    span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:mailinglist@darac.org.uk" target="_blank">mailinglist@darac.org.uk</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><span>
    On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:12:25AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br> <blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">

least 4hr).<br>

fp<br>
    </blockquote>
    <br></span>

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM, Darac Marjal<br></span><div><div class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">

However, the<br>
            command<br>

fix the problem.<br>

LAN)<br>
          the<br>
            problem.<br>

lost.<br>

can<br>
        usage<br>

francesco pietra<br>
             <br>

--<br>
    <br></div></div>
    References<br>

Visible links<br>
    </blockquote><div class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978HOEnZb"><div class="m_6910552011612998737m_316483626894605963gmail-m_1798575067809467978h5">

-- <br>
    For more information, please reread.<br> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div> </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div> </blockquote></div><br></div>
    </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05