• Booting to terminal

From Hans@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 3 10:50:02 2017
    Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017, 09:20:33 CEST schrieb Francesco Pietra:
    For testing purposes just move gdm out of the way, Just move /usr/bin/gdm to / root, when everything is working fine, move it back.

So you have a good way to test and go to default later.

You can also try to force initlevel (I do not know, if this is still working
    in debian), so it will not run into rc5 (with X) but to rc2 (no X). I guess, there are people who know better than me, which runlevel is without X.
    I did this 10 years ago and forgot about it.

Hope this helps

Best

Hans

Hello:
    I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3)
    and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either gnome-session or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more
    work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of linux. My interest is in:

-- Examining all that is loaded during boot

-- Working from the terminal without gnome/xfce when running
    number-crunching codes.

Thanks a lot for advice

francesco pietra

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 3 10:30:01 2017
    --001a114117d4efd452054e997d8a
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hello:
    I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3)
    and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either gnome-session
    or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more
    work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of linux. My interest is in:

number-crunching codes.

Thanks a lot for advice

francesco pietra

--001a114117d4efd452054e997d8a
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div>Hello:<br>I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3) and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either gnome-session or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm
    does no more work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of linux. My interest is in:<br><br></div>-- Examining all that is loaded during boot<br><br></div>-- Working from the terminal without gnome/xfce when running number-
    crunching codes.<br><br></div>Thanks a lot for advice<br><br></div>francesco pietra<br></div>

--001a114117d4efd452054e997d8a--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Heggie@21:1/5 to All on Wed May 3 10:50:02 2017
    --001a1140fadc7f4284054e99dab1

Hello

Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which gives
    you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically)
    or 'sudo init 5' to load the default window manager.

Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great
    deal with a lot of things.

Regards

Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 schrieb Hans :

For testing purposes just move gdm out of the way, Just move /usr/bin/gdm
    to /
    root, when everything is working fine, move it back.

You can also try to force initlevel (I do not know, if this is still
    working
    in debian), so it will not run into rc5 (with X) but to rc2 (no X). I
    guess,
    there are people who know better than me, which runlevel is without X.

Hope this helps

Best

Hans

Hello:
    I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3) and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either
    gnome-session
    or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of linux. My interest is in:

-- Working from the terminal without gnome/xfce when running number-crunching codes.

Thanks a lot for advice

francesco pietra

--001a1140fadc7f4284054e99dab1

Hello<div><br></div><div>Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which gives you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically) or &#39;sudo init 5&#39; to load the default window manager.</div><div><br></
    <div>Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great deal with a lot of things.</div><div><br></div>Regards<br><div><br><br>Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 schrieb Hans :<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;
    border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017, 09:20:33 CEST schrieb Francesco Pietra:<br>
    For testing purposes just move gdm out of the way, Just move /usr/bin/gdm to /<br>
    root, when everything is working fine, move it back.<br>

So you have a good way to test and go to default later.<br>

You can also try to force initlevel (I do not know, if this is still working<br>
    in debian), so it will not run into rc5 (with X) but to rc2 (no X). I guess,<br>
    there are people who know better than me, which runlevel is without X.<br>
    I did this 10 years ago and forgot about it.<br>

Hope this helps<br>

Best<br>

Hans<br>

&gt; Hello:<br>
    &gt; I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3)<br>
    &gt; and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either gnome-session<br>
    &gt; or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more<br>
    &gt; work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of<br>
    &gt; linux. My interest is in:<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; -- Examining all that is loaded during boot<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; -- Working from the terminal without gnome/xfce when running<br>
    &gt; number-crunching codes.<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; Thanks a lot for advice<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt; francesco pietra<br>

</blockquote></div>

--001a1140fadc7f4284054e99dab1--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to matthew.heggie@googlemail.com on Wed May 3 17:10:02 2017
    --94eb2c1a1bd212cd03054e9f2e13

Hi:
    rc.local (viewed with sysv-rc-conf) has "X" for 2 3 4 and 5. I made 3 4 and
    5 blank by removing the "X". On "shutdown - now" and reboot, it still drops directly into xfce (debian9, vintage sony vaio). What wrong am I doing?
    thanks
    francesco

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthew Heggie <
    matthew.heggie@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello

Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which
    gives you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically) or 'sudo init 5' to load the default window manager.

Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great deal with a lot of things.

Regards

to /

working
    guess,

Hope this helps

Best

Hans

Hello:
    I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8
    (gnome3)
    and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either
    gnome-session
    or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more >> > work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use
    of
    linux. My interest is in:

number-crunching codes.

Thanks a lot for advice

francesco pietra

--94eb2c1a1bd212cd03054e9f2e13

<div dir="ltr"><div><div>Hi:<br></div>rc.local (viewed with sysv-rc-conf) has &quot;X&quot; for 2 3 4 and 5. I made 3 4 and 5 blank by removing the &quot;X&quot;. On &quot;shutdown - now&quot; and reboot, it still drops directly into xfce (debian9,
    vintage sony vaio). What wrong am I doing? thanks<br></div>francesco<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthew Heggie <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:matthew.heggie@googlemail.com" target="_
    blank">matthew.heggie@googlemail.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello<div><br></div><div>Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2
    which gives you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically) or &#39;sudo init 5&#39; to load the default window manager.</div><div><br></div><div>Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great deal
    with a lot of things.</div><div><br></div>Regards<div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5"><br><div><br><br>Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 schrieb Hans :<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Am
    Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017, 09:20:33 CEST schrieb Francesco Pietra:<br>
    For testing purposes just move gdm out of the way, Just move /usr/bin/gdm to /<br>

You can also try to force initlevel (I do not know, if this is still working<br>
    in debian), so it will not run into rc5 (with X) but to rc2 (no X). I guess,<br>

Hope this helps<br>

Best<br>

Hans<br>

&gt; I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8 (gnome3)<br>
    &gt; and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either gnome-session<br>
    &gt; or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more<br>
    &gt; work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use of<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>

</blockquote></div>
    </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div>

--94eb2c1a1bd212cd03054e9f2e13--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to matthew.heggie@googlemail.com on Wed May 3 19:00:02 2017
    --f4030438efd8f1b1d4054ea0ae49

Hi:
    I found (did not invent) plain way

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target

whereby it loads into the shell. One couldThat gors ack with

# systemctl set-default

Then comment out the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

in /etc/default/grub
    followed by
    # update grub

whereby you get verbose boot.

That goes back a few (or many) years, mainly in favor of my son, trying to
    keep him away from the commercial-software method of not understanding what lies below the keyboard. (

cheers
    francesco
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:07 PM
    Subject: Re: Booting to terminal
    To: Matthew Heggie <matthew.heggie@googlemail.com>
    Cc: Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de>, "debian-amd64@lists.debian.org" < debian-amd64@lists.debian.org>

Hi:
    rc.local (viewed with sysv-rc-conf) has "X" for 2 3 4 and 5. I made 3 4 and
    5 blank by removing the "X". On "shutdown - now" and reboot, it still drops directly into xfce (debian9, vintage sony vaio). What wrong am I doing?
    thanks
    francesco

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthew Heggie <
    matthew.heggie@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hello

Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which
    gives you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically) or 'sudo init 5' to load the default window manager.

Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great deal with a lot of things.

Regards

to /

working
    guess,

Hope this helps

Best

Hans

Hello:
    I would be happy to learn about a safe way to boot amd64 debian8
    (gnome3)
    and debian9 (xfce) to terminal, followed by startx and either
    gnome-session
    or what is correct for xfce. My older method of killing gdm does no more >> > work well. Booting into gui is often giving problems in scientific use
    of
    linux. My interest is in:

number-crunching codes.

Thanks a lot for advice

francesco pietra

--f4030438efd8f1b1d4054ea0ae49

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Hi:<br></div>I found (did not invent) plain way<br><br></div># systemctl set-default multi-user.target<br><br></div>whereby it loads into the shell. One couldThat gors ack with<br>
    <br></div># systemctl set-default<br><br></div>Then comment out the line<br><br></div>GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=&quot;quiet&quot;<br><br></div><div>in /etc/default/grub<br></div>followed by<br></div># update grub<br><br></div>whereby you get verbose
    boot.<br><br></div>That goes back a few (or many) years, mainly in favor of my son, trying to keep him away from the commercial-software method of not understanding what lies below the keyboard. (<br><br></div>cheers<br></div>francesco<br><div><div><div><
    <div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div><div class="gmail_quote">---------- Forwarded message ----------<br>From: <b class="gmail_sendername">Francesco Pietra</b> <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:chiendarret@gmail.com">chiendarret@gmail.com</
    &gt;</span><br>Date: Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:07 PM<br>Subject: Re: Booting to terminal<br>To: Matthew Heggie &lt;<a href="mailto:matthew.heggie@googlemail.com">matthew.heggie@googlemail.com</a>&gt;<br>Cc: Hans &lt;<a href="mailto:hans.ullrich@loop.de">
    hans.ullrich@loop.de</a>&gt;, &quot;<a href="mailto:debian-amd64@lists.debian.org">debian-amd64@lists.debian.org</a>&quot; &lt;<a href="mailto:debian-amd64@lists.debian.org">debian-amd64@lists.debian.org</a>&gt;<br><br><br><div dir="ltr"><div><div>Hi:<br>
    </div>rc.local (viewed with sysv-rc-conf) has &quot;X&quot; for 2 3 4 and 5. I made 3 4 and 5 blank by removing the &quot;X&quot;. On &quot;shutdown - now&quot; and reboot, it still drops directly into xfce (debian9, vintage sony vaio). What wrong am I
    doing? thanks<span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888"><br></font></span></div><span class="HOEnZb"><font color="#888888">francesco<br></font></span></div><div class="HOEnZb"><div class="h5"><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed,
    May 3, 2017 at 9:46 AM, Matthew Heggie <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:matthew.heggie@googlemail.com" target="_blank">matthew.heggie@googlemail.com</a><wbr>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px
    #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hello<div><br></div><div>Yes I agree with Hans, you can change the default runlevel to 2 which gives you a terminal then when you are ready, run gdm3 (starts X automatically) or &#39;sudo init 5&#39; to load the default
    window manager.</div><div><br></div><div>Do some research into init runlevels and I think it will help you a great deal with a lot of things.</div><div><br></div>Regards<div class="m_3594956282678550210HOEnZb"><div class="m_3594956282678550210h5"><br><
    <br><br>Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 schrieb Hans :<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Am Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017, 09:20:33 CEST schrieb Francesco Pietra:<br>

Hope this helps<br>

Best<br>

Hans<br>

&gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>
    &gt;<br>

</blockquote></div>
    </div></div></blockquote></div><br></div> </div></div></div><br></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div></div>

--f4030438efd8f1b1d4054ea0ae49--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05