• Probmes in running scipy with amd64

From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Sun Apr 30 10:10:01 2017
    --f403045e8e48f137a8054e5cdc9f
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Since a few days I am trying to get scipy support to a drug-hunting code. I first used a clean jessie (scipy 14), installing

apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy

whereby, on running the drug hunting code, I got the scipy error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py", line 17
    from *future* import division, print_function, absolute_import
    SyntaxError: future feature print_function is not defined

Then I installed other packages (huge installation), as indicated on the
    web for getting a working scipy:

apt-get install python-numpy python-scipy python-matplotlib ipython ipython-notebook python-pandas python-sympy python-nose

(for stretch ipython-notebook was not available, while it was for jessie)

dropping into the same error as above.

I assumed that the available python lacked that function. Therefore, I went
    to stretch (scipy 18), now getting the error:

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py", line 769
    with warnings.catch_warnings():
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

On these events, I was advised to abandon python as available in debian and installing anaconda python. Such advice seems to imply (although it was not said) that python, or pieces of python, in debian are buggy.
    Before following that advice (anaconda python, from its web presentation,
    seems more a shortcut for those not having root privilege, which is not my case), I am asking about experience in using scipy with debian, and whether there is any trick, or configuration, to be followed in its installation.

Thanks a lot for sharing experience

francesco pietra

--f403045e8e48f137a8054e5cdc9f
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir="ltr"><font size="2">Since a few days I am trying to get scipy support to a drug-hunting code. I first used a clean jessie (scipy 14), installing  <br></font><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);
    padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><pre><font size="2"><span class="gmail-n">apt</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">get</span> <span class="gmail-n">install</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span>
    <span class="gmail-n">numpy</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">scipy</span></font></pre></blockquote><font size="2">whereby, on running the drug hunting code, I got the scipy error:<br></font><br>
    <blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><font size="2">File &quot;/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py&quot;, line 17</font><br><font size="2">
    from <strong>future</strong> import division, print_function, absolute_import</font><br><font size="2">
    SyntaxError: future feature print_function is not defined</font><br></blockquote><font size="2"><br>Then I installed other packages (huge installation), as indicated on the web for getting a working scipy:<br></font><div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px
    0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><pre><font size="2"><span class="gmail-n">apt</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">get</span> <span class="gmail-n">install</span> <span class="
    gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">numpy</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">scipy</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><
    span class="gmail-n">matplotlib</span> <span class="gmail-n">ipython</span> <br><span class="gmail-n">ipython</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">notebook</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span
    class="gmail-n">pandas</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">sympy</span> <span class="gmail-n">python</span><span class="gmail-o">-</span><span class="gmail-n">nose </span></font></pre></blockquote>
    <div> </div><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote"><pre><font size="2"><span class="gmail-n">(for stretch ipython-notebook was not available, while it was for jessie)</
    span></font></pre></blockquote>dropping into the same error as above.<br><br></div><div>I assumed that the available python lacked that function. Therefore, I went to stretch (scipy 18), now getting the error:<br><br><blockquote style="margin:0px 0px 0px
    0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex" class="gmail_quote">File &quot;/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/scipy/optimize/optimize.py&quot;, line 769<br>
    with warnings.catch_warnings():<br>                  ^<br> SyntaxError: invalid syntax<br></blockquote><br></div><div>On these events, I was advised to abandon python as available in debian and installing anaconda python. Such advice seems to imply (although it was not said) that python, or pieces of python, in
    debian are buggy.<br></div><div>Before following that advice (anaconda python, from its web presentation, seems more a shortcut for those not having root privilege, which is not my case), I am asking about experience in using scipy with debian, and
    whether there is any trick, or configuration, to be followed in its installation.<br><br></div><div>Thanks a lot for sharing experience<br><br></div><div>francesco pietra<br></div></div>

--f403045e8e48f137a8054e5cdc9f--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)