• Booting in text mode

From Darac Marjal@21:1/5 to Francesco Pietra on Thu Nov 24 16:30:04 2016
    On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 03:58:51PM +0100, Francesco Pietra wrote:
    Hallo
    Having upgraded amd64/gnome to jessie, booting occurs graphically while I want >graphics to come only when absolutely needed. Also, nautilus of gnome3 is >absolutely hostile to scientific use as a quick replacement of shell commands. >Too "intelligent". All that toward mass use, ok, but where is a recipe to boot >in text mode? My old, simple .Xsession and killing gdm do not work anymore and >I am short of time for such issues .

The preferred method for this, under systemd is to run:

# systemctl set-default multi-user.target

This should set the default boot mode to non-graphical, multi-user mode.

When you're ready to start graphical mode, run:

# systemctl isolate graphical.target

(You could, of course, try simply running the x-display-manager of your choice, but by switching target, any other units that are required for graphical mode are also run).

Or give an alternative to replace gnome3 with xfce. The latter on my work >station allows booting in text mode and its file manager is not too >intelligent, just useful for scientific use.

Thanks.

francesco pietra

--
    For more information, please reread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 24 16:00:01 2016
    --001a11443a8a5653ab05420d3eaa
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hallo
    Having upgraded amd64/gnome to jessie, booting occurs graphically while I
    want graphics to come only when absolutely needed. Also, nautilus of gnome3
    is absolutely hostile to scientific use as a quick replacement of shell commands. Too "intelligent". All that toward mass use, ok, but where is a recipe to boot in text mode? My old, simple .Xsession and killing gdm do
    not work anymore and I am short of time for such issues .

Or give an alternative to replace gnome3 with xfce. The latter on my work station allows booting in text mode and its file manager is not too intelligent, just useful for scientific use.

Thanks.

francesco pietra

--001a11443a8a5653ab05420d3eaa
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir="ltr"><div><div><div><div>Hallo<br></div>Having upgraded amd64/gnome to jessie, booting occurs graphically while I want graphics to come only when absolutely needed. Also, nautilus of gnome3 is absolutely hostile to scientific use as a quick
    replacement of shell commands. Too &quot;intelligent&quot;. All that toward mass use, ok, but where is a recipe to boot in text mode? My old, simple .Xsession and killing gdm do not work anymore and I am short of time for such issues .<br><br></div>Or
    give an alternative to replace gnome3 with xfce. The latter on my work station allows booting in text mode and its file manager is not too intelligent, just useful for scientific use.<br><br></div>Thanks.<br><br></div>francesco pietra<br><div><div><div><
    <br></div></div></div></div>

--001a11443a8a5653ab05420d3eaa--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)