• libX11.so.6 in a chroot

From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 26 18:50:01 2017
    How to make available system-wide (to a program for remote visualization on which I have no command, as it is provided as a binary file) a previous
    version of libX11.so.6 in a chroot? Specifically, I mean making available
    that library of debian8 to the installed debian9. Clearly, the said binary
    does not recognize the new library.

thanks
    francesco pietra

<div dir="ltr"><div><div>How to make available system-wide (to a program for remote visualization
    on which I have no command, as it is provided as a binary file) a
    previous version of libX11.so.6 in a chroot? Specifically, I mean making
    available that library of debian8 to the installed debian9. Clearly,
    the said binary does not recognize the new library.<br><br></div>thanks<br></div>francesco pietra<br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Thomas Lamprecht@21:1/5 to Francesco Pietra on Wed Sep 27 10:20:02 2017
    Hi,

On 09/26/2017 06:43 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:
    How to make available system-wide (to a program for remote visualization on which I have no command, as it is provided as a binary file) a previous version of libX11.so.6 in a chroot? Specifically, I mean making available that library of debian8 to the
    installed debian9. Clearly, the said binary does not recognize the new library.

Can't you just use LD_PRELOAD? e.g.:

# LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/your/library.so /bin/ls

For more information see: man 8 ld.so

Else just copy all libraries and binaries to the chroot - may also just do
    this with a link - and replace the one desired.

cheers,
    Thomas

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francesco Pietra@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 27 13:20:02 2017
    Hi Thomas:
    Thanks a lot for LD_PRELOAD. It works fine for remote visualization at a cluster with GPUs

francesco

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM, Thomas Lamprecht <t.lamprecht@proxmox.com> wrote:

Hi,

On 09/26/2017 06:43 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:

How to make available system-wide (to a program for remote visualization
    on which I have no command, as it is provided as a binary file) a previous >> version of libX11.so.6 in a chroot? Specifically, I mean making available
    that library of debian8 to the installed debian9. Clearly, the said binary >> does not recognize the new library.

Can't you just use LD_PRELOAD? e.g.:

# LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/your/library.so /bin/ls

For more information see: man 8 ld.so

Else just copy all libraries and binaries to the chroot - may also just do this with a link - and replace the one desired.

cheers,
    Thomas

<div dir="ltr"><div><div>Hi Thomas:<br></div>Thanks a lot for LD_PRELOAD. It works fine for remote visualization at a cluster with GPUs<br><br></div>francesco<br></div><div class="gmail_extra"><br><div class="gmail_quote">On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 10:02 AM,
    Thomas Lamprecht <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:t.lamprecht@proxmox.com" target="_blank">t.lamprecht@proxmox.com</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Hi,<span
    class=""><br>

On 09/26/2017 06:43 PM, Francesco Pietra wrote:<br>
    <blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
    How to make available system-wide (to a program for remote visualization on which I have no command, as it is provided as a binary file) a previous version of libX11.so.6 in a chroot? Specifically, I mean making available that library of debian8 to the
    installed debian9. Clearly, the said binary does not recognize the new library.<br>

</blockquote>
    <br></span>
    Can&#39;t you just use LD_PRELOAD? e.g.:<br>

# LD_PRELOAD=/path/to/your/libra<wbr>ry.so /bin/ls<br>

For more information see: man 8 ld.so<br>

Else just copy all libraries and binaries to the chroot - may also just do<br> this with a link - and replace the one desired.<br>

cheers,<br>
    Thomas<br>

</blockquote></div><br></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05