• Update Debian Ports installation images 2021-04-14

From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 18 05:00:01 2021
    Hello Carlos!

On 8/18/21 3:09 AM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
    First, thank you for the great work you do with the NetInst images for m68k, I really appreciate the effort of keeping Linux alive on this architecture.

You're welcome.

I should have on my hands shortly a 060 accelerator for my Amiga 1200 that would
    allow me to test the image on real hardware. Meanwhile I tested it on WinUAE and
    it looks like most of the installation is working correctly. However I am hitting
    some difficulties with the disk partitioning.

Before running the kernel and debian-installer I set up my harddrive with HDToolbox
    as told in [1].

Those installation instructions are ancient, so I don't recommend following them.

You should let the installer partition your hard disk, just let the Amiga create
    the the affs partitions.

It looks like the kernel can identify correctly my partition scheme as seen in [2]
    and... although the partitioner tool in the installer recognizes the harddisk at
    /dev/hda, it is not able to identify any existing partitions, as seen in [3].

You should switch to another console during installation and check the output of

$ cat /proc/partitions

A test I was able to complete successfully is to open an installer console (ALT+F2)
    and format my partition /dev/hda3 with mkfs.ext2. I can also mount it on the console.
    However, regardless of that, the installer partitioner won't detect it. Is there
    something that I am missing?

No, this should not happen. I have no clue though what the issue is, I would have to
    reproduce this issue myself.

Some additional information:
    * Harddisk size: 32 GB
    - /dev/hda1 AFFS - 518 MB
    - /dev/hda2 AFFS - 12 GB
    - /dev/hda3 LNX\0 - 8 GB
    - /dev/hda4 SWP\0 - 512 MB
    - /dev/hda5 NBR\0 - 8 GB
    - /dev/hda6 NBS\0 - 512 MB
    * Emulated Amiga: 1200
    * ROM: 3.2 (the new one from Hyperion)

I don't know whether there are any compatibility issues with ROM version 3.2
    as it has never been tested. Although I have these ROM versions myself in my storage place.

FWIW, I never personally had success installing Debian on UAE but I haven't tested that for a while.

Adrian

--
    .''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
    : :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org
    `. `' Freie Universitaet Berlin - glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de
    `- GPG: 62FF 8A75 84E0 2956 9546 0006 7426 3B37 F5B5 F913

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dirk Heinrichs@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 22 09:10:02 2021
    This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156) --LHBxcFj6sjoeSnb5P7hMF5pX1UOtQh0s8
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
    Content-Language: en-US

Q2FybG9zIE1pbMOhbiBGaWd1ZXJlZG86Cgo+IEkgZ2F2ZSB1cCB3aXRoIHRoZSBoZC1tZWRp YSBpbml0cmQsIHNvIGZvciB0aGUgdGltZSBiZWluZyBJIGRvbid0IGtub3cKPiBob3cgSSBj b3VsZCBpbnN0YWxsIHRoZSBzeXN0ZW0gb24gYSByZWFsIEFtaWdhIHdpdGhvdXQgcHJlcGFy aW5nIHRoZQo+IEhERCBvbiB0aGUgUEMgdmlhIFdpblVBRS4KCkZvciBwZW9wbGUgdy9vIGEg KFdpbilVQUUgbGljZW5zZTogRGViaWFuJ3Mga2VybmVscyBzdGlsbCAoYXMgb2YKYnVsbHNl eWUpIGhhdmUgc3VwcG9ydCBmb3IgUkRCIHBhcnRpdGlvbnMgYW5kIHRoZXJlJ3MgYWxzbyBh bWlnYS1mZGlzawpwYWNrYWdlZCBmb3IgYW1kNjQ6CgogICAgJSB1bmFtZSAtYQogICAgTGlu dXggZ29uZG9saW4gNS4xMC4wLTgtYW1kNjQgIzEgU01QIERlYmlhbiA1LjEwLjQ2LTQgKDIw MjEtMDgtMDMpCiAgICB4ODZfNjQgR05VL0xpbnV4CiAgICAlIGdyZXAgX0FNSUdBCiAgICAv Ym9vdC9jb25maWctNS4xMC4wLTgtYW1kNjTCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKg wqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKg wqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKg wqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgwqDCoMKgCiAgICA6KAogICAgQ09ORklHX0FNSUdB X1BBUlRJVElPTj15CiAgICAlIGFwdC1jYWNoZSBzZWFyY2ggYW1pZ2EtZmRpc2sKICAgIGFt aWdhLWZkaXNrLWNyb3NzIC0gUGFydGl0aW9uIGVkaXRvciBmb3IgQW1pZ2EgcGFydGl0aW9u cyAoY3Jvc3MKICAgIHZlcnNpb24pCgoKSFRILi4uCgrCoMKgwqAgRGlyawoKLS0gCkRpcmsg SGVpbnJpY2hzIDxkaXJrLmhlaW5yaWNoc0BhbHR1bS5kZT4KTWF0cml4LUFkcmVzc2U6IEBo ZWluaTpjaGF0LmFsdHVtLmRlCkdQRyBQdWJsaWMgS2V5OiA4MEYxNTQwRTAzQTM5NjhGM0Q3 OUMzODI4NTNDMzJDNDI3QjQ4MDQ5ClByaXZhY3kgSGFuZGJ1Y2g6IGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnBy aXZhY3ktaGFuZGJ1Y2guZGUKCg==

--LHBxcFj6sjoeSnb5P7hMF5pX1UOtQh0s8--

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iHUEARYKAB0WIQQBbRZ091iOtChJXdXJlzdNRFS0TAUCYSH0/wAKCRDJlzdNRFS0 TMTEAQD03XJ5OiMtCVnC3h9yh/d47dTP4MmpMeTOU7e0t/ty2gD/Vwzjph/zPQsG 0VgOltlPopS/sl+aJfNIa/IG7e9Aiw0=
    =LmCj
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 22 11:50:01 2021
    Hello!

On 8/22/21 2:34 AM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
    Afterwards it proceeds to install the base system, but eventually hangs
    up in one of the "Retrieving xxxxx" packages, never going beyond 6% due
    to seek errors on the CD-ROM through A1200 Gayle IDE driver (I guess due
    to something odd in the emulation).
    (...)
    I was able to overcome the IDE CD drive errors by configuring WinUAE to emulate
    the Commodore A2091 SCSI controller and attaching the CD drive to it. This was
    automatically detected by d-i and the install progressed nicely without any seek
    errors.

Please note that there are two IDE drivers for the Gayle controller in the 5.10.x
    kernel used in Debian unstable. The legacy IDE driver called "gayle" and the new
    driver "pata_gayle". The legacy IDE drivers will be dropped with the kernel 5.14
    release [1].

So, you can try to blocklist either the old or the new driver on the kernel command
    line with "modprobe.blacklist=gayle" or "modprobe.blacklist=pata_gayle" [2].

If neither of the drivers work, it's likely that there is a bug in the Gayle emulation
    of WinUAE.

The next problem I am facing is a very specific one in the Install base system stage,
    in the base-passwd package, that after "Setting up" dpkg stage in throws a segmentation
    fail due to a bad kernel trap [1][2]. I tested the install twice to make sure the error
    happen at the same exact point so it's not random. Once again, it could be related to
    emulation, so two questions:

1. Has anyone in this list been successful installing Debian with the 2021-04-14 image on Amiga?

I haven't installed on a real Amiga for a longer time (around 2015/16). But I know that
    installation works fine on Aranym. I never managed to install Debian inside WinUAE, so
    chances are the emulation is still buggt.

2. If I were to try the image on a real Amiga without CD drive, what would be the procedure?
    As I told in previous messages, the hd-media initrd looks like the right one for this case,
    but where do I place the ISO image?

If you really used the actual hd-media images [3], you need to put the ISO image at the top-level
    directory of the hard disk that you booted the hd-media images from [4]. But I haven't tested
    hd-media images myself before.

Adrian

[1] https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-5.14-Legacy-IDE-Dropped
    [2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel_module#Blacklisting
    [3] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-m68k/main/d/debian-installer/
    [4] https://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/apas02.html.en

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Paul Adrian Glaubitz@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 22 11:40:02 2021
    Hello!

On 8/21/21 4:47 AM, Carlos Milán Figueredo wrote:
    I guess my best bet would be to try the hd-media initrd, but I tried to copy the
    ISO to a FAT16 partition in the Amiga RDB disk and the d-i was not able to detect it.

The hd-media installer can be found in the debian-installer-images tarball which can be
    found here [1] and here [2].

Any other installer variant but the ISO images is currently untested, so I cannot guarantee
    for the hd-media installer to work.

Adrian

[1] http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-m68k/main/d/debian-installer/
    [2] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/debian-installer/

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05