• Alpha has gone to its reward

From Bob Tracy@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 05:20:01 2022
    We had a horrific electrical storm on the 28th, and a lightning strike
    took out my home air-conditioning units, my cable modem, my Wifi router,
    a 16-port switch, my Ooma Telo, my main computer, my printer, and... my PWS-433au :-(.

The Alpha isn't worth repairing, and I'm not going to go to the trouble
    of replacing it. I had my fun with it, and frankly, it lasted far longer
    in 24x7x365 use than I had any right to expect.

Bottom line: After more years than I care to remember, I'm out of the
    race. Will continue to lurk and help where/when I can, but I won't be
    doing any actual testing or debugging on Alpha. Sincere thanks to the
    experts hanging out here who have helped me through many a rough spot
    with the Alpha platform.

Respectfully,
    --Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Frank Scheiner@21:1/5 to Bob Tracy on Sat Jul 2 10:10:01 2022
    Dear Bob,

On 02.07.22 04:43, Bob Tracy wrote:
    a 16-port switch, my Ooma Telo, my main computer, my printer, and... my PWS-433au :-(.

My condolences, what a pity, another classic gone... :,(, not to speak
    of the other hardware you lost. :-/

All this with the original hardware (PSU, system board, memory)? Insane!

doing any actual testing or debugging on Alpha. Sincere thanks to the experts hanging out here who have helped me through many a rough spot
    with the Alpha platform.

Thanks for all your involvement here, I myself started my Alpha machine collection with a PWS (a 500au to be exact) and I found it always
    helpful and encouraging to see your machine running a GUI and what not.

Cheers,
    Frank

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Oliver Falk@21:1/5 to Bob Tracy on Sat Jul 2 10:20:01 2022
    Hi Bob!

Bob Tracy <rct@frus.com> schrieb am Sa. 2. Juli 2022 um 05:14:

Oh dear… I hope only „hardware“ is affected and you and your family are fine!

Indeed, that beast really lived way longer than one would have expected.

doing any actual testing or debugging on Alpha. Sincere thanks to the experts hanging out here who have helped me through many a rough spot
    with the Alpha platform.

Completely understandable and I wanted to express my gratitude to you and
    all the hard work you did over the decades!

Stay safe,
    Oliver

<div dir="auto">Hi Bob!</div><div><br><div class="gmail_quote"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">Bob Tracy &lt;<a href="mailto:rct@frus.com">rct@frus.com</a>&gt; schrieb am Sa. 2. Juli 2022 um 05:14:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:
    0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)">We had a horrific electrical storm on the 28th, and a lightning strike<br>
    took out my home air-conditioning units, my cable modem, my Wifi router,<br>
    a 16-port switch, my Ooma Telo, my main computer, my printer, and...  my<br> PWS-433au :-(.</blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Oh dear… I hope only „hardware“ is affected and you and your family are fine!</div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-
    left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto"></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-
    left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto">The Alpha isn&#39;t worth repairing, and I&#39;m not going to go to the trouble<br>
    of replacing it.  I had my fun with it, and frankly, it lasted far longer<br> in 24x7x365 use than I had any right to expect.<br></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Indeed, that beast really lived way longer than one would have expected.</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="
    margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto">Bottom line: After more years than I care to remember, I&#39;m out of the<br>
    race.  Will continue to lurk and help where/when I can, but I won&#39;t be<br> doing any actual testing or debugging on Alpha.  Sincere thanks to the<br> experts hanging out here who have helped me through many a rough spot<br>
    with the Alpha platform.</blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Completely understandable and I wanted to express my gratitude to you and all the hard work you did over the decades!</div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px
    0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto"></blockquote><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto">Stay safe,</div><div dir="auto"> Oliver</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><
    div dir="auto"><br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;padding-left:1ex;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204)" dir="auto"><br>
    </blockquote></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05