• Re: Bug#1024346: cdrom: debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso boots to Grub C

From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to Rob Klingsten on Thu Nov 17 23:20:01 2022
    On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 04:46:30PM -0500, Rob Klingsten wrote:
    Package: cdrom
    Severity: important
    Tags: d-i

Dear Maintainer,

*** Reporter, please consider answering these questions, where appropriate ***

* What led up to the situation?
    * What exactly did you do (or not do) that was effective (or
    ineffective)?
    * What was the outcome of this action?
    * What outcome did you expect instead?

*** End of the template - remove these template lines ***

Downloaded debian-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso, verified SHA512 signature and flashed to USB stick (dd if=<debian.iso> of=/dev/sdb). The
    Dell Optiplex 5090 is a UEFI-only system. In the BIOS, I previously disabled TPM, Secure Boot and Absolute (computer Lojack).

Booting from the netinst USB stick, the computer boots into the Grub CLI. 'ls' shows the following:

(proc) (hd0) (hd0,gpt4) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (cd0) (cd0,msdos2)

There does not appear to be any usable partition detected on the USB stick that contains a kernel. The contents of (cd0,msdos2) are
    just an 'efi' directory.

I have tried multiple USB sticks, downloaded the ISO several times all with a good SHA512, tried dd and also cp <iso> /dev/sdb, makes
    no difference. I've tried the live Gnome image as well, same problem.

I expect the computer to boot properly into the Debian installer.

First of all:

It may be better to use a longer dd line and also to use the unofficial firmware image available at https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/11.5.0+nonfree/amd64/iso-cd/firmware-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso

dd if=firmware-11.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M oflag=sync status=progress

That makes absolutely sure that the transfer is synced to ensure that it is written to the stick and also gives you some idea of how well the transfer
    is going.

Using the firmware .iso will potentially solve any problems with missing firmwware.

The writing to a stick *should* work well.

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)