• Firmware not loading from installer ISOs

From Gnu Turd@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 19 04:50:01 2021
    A few days ago I did a Debian install with the firmware-testing-amd64-netinst.iso I believe I downloaded on June 5, 2021.
    I figured it was close enough to bullseye becoming the stable release that
    the testing image would be quite stable enough and not likely to change too much, so I could just set the repositories to bullseye and let the
    installation mature to stable.

I was shocked with the installer didn't recognize my ethernet card and set
    up DHCP. Nor did it recognize my wireless adapter. They are pretty bog-standard, Gig RTL8111/8168/8411 + Broadcom Wifi. The installer gave me
    an option to insert a USB stick with the proper firmware. What the heck is
    to point of downloading the firmware version of the installer if I have to download the firmware separately?

So I just did the basic stripped-down install figuring I'd just 'dpkg -i'
    the firmware packages later and 'tasksel' myself to a regluar desktop.
    Before I got around to it I read on Phoronix that the Debian 11 "Bullseye" installer RC2, so I downloaded and flashed debian-live-blsy-DI-rc2-amd64-kde+nonfree.iso and booted my system from it,
    and guess what? On a 3.2 GB ISO the firmware also didn't load, I couldn't
    get an internet connection. The firmware is on the ISO, but it isn't automatically activated, you have to do some CLI-fu to get your internet connection to work, not user-friendly! A cursory glance showed there were plenty of activated international fonts and locales, but the firmware was
    not apparently installed.

I ended up rebooting to the minimal installed system and installing the firmware deb files from a USB stick. This sort of behavior should be a
    release blocker.

By the way, I installed from the debian-live-amd64-kde+nonfree.iso a few
    years ago, I don't remember if it was jessie or one of the later releases.
    It installed a metric ton of extra localizations and fonts that made the
    system very slow to update, I had to manually hunt down those packages and remove them. I just don't use Esperanto or Xhosa on a regular basis. If
    this is still the case with these firmware ISOs I would recommend that you revisit that policy.

<div dir="ltr">A few days ago I did a Debian install with the firmware-testing-amd64-netinst.iso I believe I downloaded on June 5, 2021. I figured it was close enough to bullseye becoming the stable release that the testing image would be quite stable
    enough and not likely to change too much, so I could just set the repositories to bullseye and let the installation mature to stable.<br><br><br>I was shocked with the installer didn&#39;t recognize my ethernet card and set up DHCP. Nor did it recognize
    my wireless adapter. They are pretty bog-standard, Gig RTL8111/8168/8411 + Broadcom Wifi. The installer gave me an option to insert a USB stick with the proper firmware. What the heck is to point of downloading the firmware version of the installer if I
    have to download the firmware separately?<br><br><div>So I just did the basic stripped-down install figuring I&#39;d just &#39;dpkg -i&#39; the firmware packages later and &#39;tasksel&#39; myself to a regluar desktop. Before I got around to it I read on
    Phoronix that the Debian 11 &quot;Bullseye&quot; installer RC2, so I downloaded and flashed debian-live-blsy-DI-rc2-amd64-kde+nonfree.iso and booted my system from it, and guess what? On a 3.2 GB ISO the firmware also didn&#39;t load, I couldn&#39;t get
    an internet connection. The firmware is on the ISO, but it isn&#39;t automatically activated, you have to do some CLI-fu to get your internet connection to work, not user-friendly! A cursory glance showed there were plenty of activated international
    fonts and locales, but the firmware was not apparently installed. <br></div><div><br></div><div>I ended up rebooting to the minimal installed system and installing the firmware deb files from a USB stick. This sort of behavior should be a release blocker.
    </div><div><br></div><div>By the way, I installed from the debian-live-amd64-kde+nonfree.iso a few years ago, I don&#39;t remember if it was jessie or one of the later releases. It installed a metric ton of extra localizations and fonts that made the
    system very slow to update, I had to manually hunt down those packages and remove them. I just don&#39;t use Esperanto or Xhosa on a regular basis. If this is still the case with these firmware ISOs I would recommend that you revisit that policy.<br></
    </div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Steve McIntyre@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 19 15:50:01 2021
    On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 07:44:21PM -0700, Gnu Turd wrote:

<stuff>

I'm refusing to engage with messages from somebody choosing such
    juvenile words in their name/email address.

--
    Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK. steve@einval.com "Managing a volunteer open source project is a lot like herding
    kittens, except the kittens randomly appear and disappear because they
    have day jobs." -- Matt Mackall

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)