• Should I give up?

From Francisco M Neto@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 14:00:01 2022
    Greetings.

I have been trying to package packages related to Elemetary OS's Pantheon for Debian. Several months ago I submitted a few of them to mentors.d.n, and found sponsors, and those packages got accepted. Then they entered the NEW queue. I decided to wait for those packages to make it into the distribution before submitting new ones.

I lost track of the time it took for those packages to actually receive a response from the ftp masters. Now, I know all work is voluntary and I don't want to demand anything, but being frank I just got tired of waiting. I had completely forgotten about those packages when I got a response for them, saying
    that they were rejected. I don't feel motivated at all to actually fix the problems that were pointed out about them.

I'm trying to find motivation to work on them once more to fix those issues and then go through the whole process again, but the thought of having to
    wait several months again to see if everything is acceptable is really discouraging.

So, I turn to the mentors present in this discussion list for incentive. Should I try again? Is there anything to say?

Thanks in advance.
    Francisco

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEPlgWVZo9XXifkM/x0wsWlNaS+/AFAmL6E48ACgkQ0wsWlNaS +/AfKhAAh76Gw75xJeQDbXNgS3zIO3++hQJAdHKaGEkAHxnI/6s5ynOt0ruHNEoW ILupqhipWe79ZF2SqrFUlr7CieTq9bI7VUV6sln2IawVRfUSODtuFmgKI5/oEGUp aS2C3GxflMaXk1SsHedr8F1LbiRw7M/W9C+ydck8ithgQPM3QYbC48RAXyf8kZs9 8vrkkkwXy3mmVR7/V3oUJ9zPPbCesADB1+ixHE0kciPB/w+1ZQFYzrHJnzNV319U dPVOeANVABAvUs6egAzbOQQ2y9FhJ5yeDQSZz/4Ew5O/7GWMdUkIXXXl+nZJ3Df9 0i4RiAOmNSaqrbt2L1WLzOIM5F68n/kwN7m22QFHfWSMCzoNfDEH5NE5pI5JSm9B SdD4p2lIy57v9z2K98J9+K1cuNwBc/tLEEFHdk+E0uylNV30s6rQ56SfxhDpPe8K y9SKsUWFBLPKj5fF1eRvsX8PSC9aUhZ/9rvZoyUD0+odk93lw1e+aBBXBSVm5YqA c6ee0zrGjgExa5wFw/jONk4yHs+QPxWQ6wee2vLC0h5UI8BNRLlec/wTgdcd345z Qb2J69x2VgSzuGNOrJ1a03FepuAFg17E5KImgN2yiTfnDRYmJPnFur3Ie3VJrFh/ wlWlIZ9nzC7y/pHTUpNcy6dq33P/1FMTGjofNGOgHuZXF8quQgg=
    =+UUi
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrey Rahmatullin@21:1/5 to Thomas Ward on Mon Aug 15 18:30:01 2022
    On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 02:32:43PM +0000, Thomas Ward wrote:
    When there's a rejected package there should be a rejection reason.
    That's where you should start. Don't be discouraged, I've had my
    packages rejected before (note: I'm not a mentor / DD, but I have been through this process before), it hasn't stopped me from contributing
    anywhere yet. Usually, when there's a rejection, there's a *reason* for
    it and that reason should be documented somewhere and sent to you via
    email - I would look for those rejection emails and see what the
    reasoning was for the rejection.
    That's not the stated reason though:

the thought of having to wait several months again to see if everything is acceptable is really discouraging

--
    WBR, wRAR

iQJhBAABCgBLFiEEolIP6gqGcKZh3YxVM2L3AxpJkuEFAmL6c/UtFIAAAAAAFQAP cGthLWFkZHJlc3NAZ251cGcub3Jnd3JhckBkZWJpYW4ub3JnAAoJEDNi9wMaSZLh e5UQAJDOWg4PPyzPIU4C6FVR1aS/EBfHDd3r+48bh85zVpmqeu00TmUsFsD3y3L9 GsYzR2Ffl92eebMZXkqSs6+ujt1UwO1zKwlAYrk6gM3gVJqr1NRctSFHRcAYIGav I8RacCdBdUlx076mBOESF2elgiqy4cDgmupfoPD4hquxTvSG8o0eJdj4B7A5lAyD 0cumzevLcL3Q8hLwmvYFb6rFxGoR9JZC/A34mSHG8OX2HavKWMYPS++NiknElDFB m+FrYDTw9IMJaN6mjTWfJanXaA3NVwZ1JE0AInV71gsnhaPG0qadjgQISvEPe3hx OV24ZaJXDdEdWBaoK4Zn/INACViDWzF2hFuL7DA0VHzlRjTsmlGiNujvCzcxrtle WNjtE/8D1gCy3F8nBtEKWyra9BBCNvhh6ZK7mAW9C82TxdJiC/Z310pDEfDphwb/ YWqoh1iSWe7zYT3BPKBZ9Rjqe41cBN93LdpBE3DeWRMAJhWWqiw2/zz4gSHLuXYw ZY/9t55+/zND8C9/fL5EA4UVOXIIHHeOtXIZBScog1EqxRi1PnkpdYbQ3xzC0Srj /hVmbdJs3c1VA6BURWUe4QJPZv3YDgksypL6RXx/YZVZuX0NU2cTboI4ScsbiqRu HTSmoiFiYafgBVz8NBkuKcxgLNq5+j0dd2XSD/1Nxsd4OP2g
    =McuD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Carter (highvoltage)@21:1/5 to Francisco M Neto on Mon Aug 15 20:00:01 2022
    Hi Francisco

On 2022/08/15 11:36, Francisco M Neto wrote:
    I have been trying to package packages related to Elemetary OS's Pantheon for Debian. Several months ago I submitted a few of them to mentors.d.n, and found sponsors, and those packages got accepted. Then they entered the NEW queue. I decided to wait for those packages to make it into the
    distribution before submitting new ones.

I lost track of the time it took for those packages to actually receive a response from the ftp masters. Now, I know all work is voluntary and I don't
    want to demand anything, but being frank I just got tired of waiting. I had completely forgotten about those packages when I got a response for them, saying
    that they were rejected. I don't feel motivated at all to actually fix the problems that were pointed out about them.

I'm trying to find motivation to work on them once more to fix those issues and then go through the whole process again, but the thought of having to
    wait several months again to see if everything is acceptable is really discouraging.

So, I turn to the mentors present in this discussion list for incentive. Should I try again? Is there anything to say?

I think you should try again. You've made too much progress to through
    it away. That said, I can understand how it's very frustrating, it's
    often even the case for long DDs when the NEW queue gets long. We're
    aware of that problem, and there's some good ideas to make it better
    (like making it possible for any DD to give feedback on a package for
    faster rejects + feedback), but it's not yet implemented (and right now,
    I don't think anyone is working on it either).

However, after time, every process in Debian does get better, and
    patience usually pays off. I hope you give it another shot.

-Jonathan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alexander Reichle-Schmehl@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 19:30:01 2022
    Hi Fransico,

* Francisco M Neto <fmneto@fmneto.com> [220815 11:36]:

That's a tough question, and I can see why what happend can be
    demotivating. But in the end regardless of what you will receive as
    answer: You will have to find the question to that for yourselve.

Surely it is a comittment to maintain a package in Debian, and that's
    why the easy answer would be: If you currently don't think, that you'll
    be able to have the motivation to maintain it properly, it is best to
    give up now.

But you can also take a look back: You arleady learned a lot of the
    technical part and convinced someone that your package(s) should be part
    of Debian. That is already quite a lot. Now you only have to fix the remaining thing. And the good thing about that is, that you got a
    reason and know where you have to invest some more work. And you have
    this mailing lists, which might be able to help you, if you share the
    reject reason.

And if you get the problem fixed fast and a new package uploaded, I
    would say it is worth a try to ask the ftp-team to recheck the package
    while they have fresh memory of the issue. That's not unheard of, but
    of course I can't promise anything.

Best regards,
    Alexander

iQIzBAABCAAdFiEE7gG3whJsKEfq38cgwktlomcsixIFAmL6f24ACgkQwktlomcs ixJUmBAAhGjbjAhL28CsPHinwEo6FNCqPpSVI6OCWD+w7JxguS3OqtrzPR/K/nLO 2tEBmQ4f8xnyHanKX3c/dbkGI81zaJU2mqMmHyzzz6VW5aWL/t4Yap1QAQUcn1WV 0zcG/ODq/OXTHI0v+gcqSNua5VuDiMu625/ogr4cXoZMNz+URWZCUv8wGAqSozV2 RUBTGAap1O/8Nx9xaF4/i7nrB70zvN7pcPI7NCje2zVtHwyLnE1jApdIVAv68/qD wDIuNwdx8eviZNLgFZAzJ0qHOfj47nlhd/4ETN+7JM/Ms6O9wngWsUdjkd77lTPj Hi6yxe/1c5KrtPHnPPNDCpHBpAzNRn7ppE1bi94UQLzjCRFhtlEYJA0lLD5afytW H0c6KW/4Ymvl27Gjcflul0wwn2I3T2ezFmpJVv7yOVGC6dr4tZh/HID91o1gAT73 mL4G1RNB1osCZg0bcZvujGscdJJVB1brLLLClwmyScJkOfF9hOD7aBcFkrHfmyt1 hG+1wv4vW/6f2bJ7hhaSY5xYdO1qdawPg2w5QHtXPGQRsuUExW8/zcTmIPowsv2l nmB3+2+wEiTO6M4OMwkH5f0yBtrwVrZKR1Uz/ZX+bcg7hMhebcKMqgcyP5h1z1xG aPlOYnkE6ffJbsZG5r6I4KI8JIkIunpqqP9pHwu5MA0EXiM8zpk=
    =+V6I

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francisco M Neto@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 16 17:10:02 2022
    Greetings!

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to this message. The past months have been challenging for a series of reasons that don't really fit the scope of this list so I'm going to leave it at that. Suffice it to say, I'm willing to try again. Packaging software for Debian and (eventually) becoming a DD is an old aspiration of mine, and I'm not ready to give up on that just yet.

Cheers,
    Francisco

On Mon, 2022-08-15 at 19:54 +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
    Hi Francisco

On 2022/08/15 11:36, Francisco M Neto wrote:
            I have been trying to package packages related to Elemetary OS's
    Pantheon for Debian. Several months ago I submitted a few of them to mentors.d.n, and found sponsors, and those packages got accepted. Then they entered the NEW queue. I decided to wait for those packages to make it into the
    distribution before submitting new ones.

I lost track of the time it took for those packages to actually
    receive
    a response from the ftp masters. Now, I know all work is voluntary and I don't
    want to demand anything, but being frank I just got tired of waiting. I had completely forgotten about those packages when I got a response for them, saying

I'm trying to find motivation to work on them once more to fix those
    issues and then go through the whole process again, but the thought of having to

So, I turn to the mentors present in this discussion list for
    incentive. Should I try again? Is there anything to say?

I think you should try again. You've made too much progress to through
    it away. That said, I can understand how it's very frustrating, it's
    often even the case for long DDs when the NEW queue gets long. We're
    aware of that problem, and there's some good ideas to make it better
    (like making it possible for any DD to give feedback on a package for
    faster rejects + feedback), but it's not yet implemented (and right now,
    I don't think anyone is working on it either).

However, after time, every process in Debian does get better, and
    patience usually pays off. I hope you give it another shot.

-Jonathan

iQIzBAABCgAdFiEEPlgWVZo9XXifkM/x0wsWlNaS+/AFAmL7sTQACgkQ0wsWlNaS +/BNXw//UohOOCKBtYuImyqeTJhI/C7TkfoZ+XWvwynMmU917+W742OV4eenZf3X JkDVhGgaQLdpzzxFiDG42kdJg0oFlVQmLoHYxk516wXu3Pi9Ezp9qyL4TwyuLQs6 XvKwsOxzfuzVoRnv5L9cDuWM9V5vve4hg0AeciwSF+CNG0lXrEY0ij5AmToXQP+P aZmsIjUbmHEKHDhe6iJm3fH/+3nultz54T21h+OvRHar6fXt6P+EFIZigKvNYpfr wB4YB7iri5koNLbfdliHu4DWrjVmuOe1DixmckFLND/mE+OcUQ+LRWVyyHvGZNj4 1Lt+UfbEkjW487iWbnappl7Bzcd3sACsjgfOG04bDWWk+xzDnpK+t/MDZtWWI0/V xjxz0t4lvZltxx+ikSW5KDNBNDcXVaLULXiwnZgt/mFNWILqWcOxPLhHkNpkDB8G xVlXIMAWKUda1E0ddGNXU+2QJLH8QtD1WEZFS/s4JyOVuVmxcXVKfKWlFMFzEJnL +/xoQ3ePW4sZB9K8vTYFW/PoxGyTcNSMCkYFTk+oFiLt3ITbh8OuLDdC/cfLCVmD hwQ1sNLrtBDHMekpiCtmOjzJPA2FAQFmdLo4/1Xc3JRxJNN173XAayl0NM8kyZsY NrWRxoT89hoIx362M5KXMpdy2xRwqdUx71v3PAJV43LTf2LEMik=
    =h5JT

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05