• Regarding how to join open source

From Anish Kumbhar@21:1/5 to All on Sat Feb 26 20:20:01 2022
    Hi Sir/Madam,
    I am Anish Devendra Kumbhar, 1 st Year B.Tech student in CSE.
    I know C,html,C++, and am learning web development and python.
    I am really curious to know about open source and its contribution process. This will be my first experience with an open source project and its
    community, so please guide me about how to proceed further.

<div dir="ltr">Hi Sir/Madam,<div>I am Anish Devendra Kumbhar, 1 st Year B.Tech student in CSE.</div><div>I know C,html,C++, and am learning web development and python. <br></div><div>I am really curious to know about open source and its contribution
    process.</div><div>This will be my first experience with an open source project and its community, so please guide me about how to proceed further.</div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Geert Stappers@21:1/5 to Anish Kumbhar on Sun Feb 27 10:40:02 2022
    On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 12:28:15AM +0530, Anish Kumbhar wrote:
    Hi Sir/Madam,
    I am really curious to know about open source and its contribution process. This will be my first experience with an open source project and its community, so please guide me about how to proceed further.

Even the long journeys start with a first step.

Make that first step, make further steps.
    Surely avoid waiting for "go" and "go on" commands.

Yes, I have seen the "please guide me" request.
    Please accept from me that "the urge to solve a problem"
    is a much better guide.

Groeten
    Geert Stappers
    DD
    --
    Silence is hard to parse

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ali Mezgani@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 3 16:50:01 2022
    Anish,

Open source is a great initiative ans philosophy that universities must adopt. However if you try in your free time to build a community : a community of students over a simple network you should learn more about
    How humain and brain humain’s can drive.

Know that I’m part of IETF, Linux Kernel, Debian, FreeBSD and GNU.

I consider also many scientist as like as : Stallman, Larry Wall, Guido Von Rossum, All mathematicians and creators of networks and languages …

When you pray alone and work alone is also a great if you do so God creator will help.

Sincerely,

On 03/03/2022, at 16:14, Albert van der Horst <spenarnc@xs4all.nl> wrote:

Op 26-02-2022 19:58 schreef Anish Kumbhar <anish.kumbhar04@gmail.com>:

Hi Sir/Madam,
    I am really curious to know about open source and its contribution process. >> This will be my first experience with an open source project and its community, so please guide me about how to proceed further.

You are lucky in that you have no project that you present to the world. If you have 50 years of experience, and you present a wonderful project to Debian, chances are that they may not appreciate you, for lack of understanding.

The best way is looking into abandoned packages, so called orphans. Chances are that you find something that is really a loss and a shame, that it is no longer maintained, is at risk of being deleted from the distribution. You then are naturally
    motivated and if your credentials are in order, you will be accepted as a co-maintainer.
    Of course it make no sense to start work on a project outside your skill set. Then you will build trust and have a good relation with the Debian community. If you are experienced and written valuable software you then have a chance of having it accepted.

Similar advice is to be found in the extensive Debian documentation, but I will not blame if you have not found it.

Groetjes Albert

Groetjes Albert

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Albert van der Horst@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 3 16:40:01 2022
    Op 26-02-2022 19:58 schreef Anish Kumbhar <anish.kumbhar04@gmail.com>:

Hi Sir/Madam,
    I am really curious to know about open source and its contribution process. This will be my first experience with an open source project and its community, so please guide me about how to proceed further.

You are lucky in that you have no project that you present to the world. If you have 50 years of experience, and you present a wonderful project to Debian, chances are that they may not appreciate you, for lack of understanding.

The best way is looking into abandoned packages, so called orphans. Chances are that you find something that is really a loss and a shame, that it is no longer maintained, is at risk of being deleted from the distribution. You then are naturally
    motivated and if your credentials are in order, you will be accepted as a co-maintainer.
    Of course it make no sense to start work on a project outside your skill set.
    Then you will build trust and have a good relation with the Debian community. If you are experienced and written valuable software you then have a chance of having it accepted.

Similar advice is to be found in the extensive Debian documentation, but I will not blame if you have not found it.

Groetjes Albert

Groetjes Albert

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05