• Quoting Hell in Manual Pages, or lintian problem?

From Marc Haber@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 21 21:50:05 2021
    Hi,

How would I quote backslashes in a manual page correctly?

Currently I have the source:

with '"' around each argument, each '"'
    in the string converted to '\\"' and each '\\' in the string
    converted to '\\\\'.

This renders to:

in the string converted to '\"' and each '\' in the string
    converted to '\\'.

which looks reasonable enough.

However lintian doesn't like this and flags the construct with "acute-accent-in-manual-page". Is this a bug in Lintian?

Greetings
    Marc

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Damien Calloway@21:1/5 to Marc Haber on Sun Nov 21 22:10:02 2021
    --23e576f86fba4b3081b6633800167417
    Content-Type: text/plain

Hello!

I am an avid Pythonista and I was disappointed to learn that

sudo apt install qtile

No longer works. In my research, it appears that the qtile project relies on packagers for each distribution - they do not do the packaging themselves.

I see that the Debian package is abandoned for some time now, and I wanted to know if:

1) Would I need to use the procedure for submitting a new package, since this one has been stale for so long?

2) Would I need to build for all the architectures that Debian supports?

3) Also, wanted to confirm that I would just need to ensure a reproducible build with valid metadata for aptitude, then package and submit the results?

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, at 15:40, Marc Haber wrote:
    Hi,

converted to '\\\\'.

This renders to:

converted to '\\'.

However lintian doesn't like this and flags the construct with "acute-accent-in-manual-page". Is this a bug in Lintian?

Greetings
    Marc

-- ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--23e576f86fba4b3081b6633800167417
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title><style type="text/css">p.MsoNormal,p.MsoNoSpacing{margin:0}</style></head><body><div>Hello!<br></div><div><br></div><div>I am an avid Pythonista and I was disappointed to learn that<br></div><div><br></div><div>
    sudo apt install qtile&nbsp;<br></div><div><br></div><div>No longer works. In my research, it appears that the qtile project relies on packagers for each distribution - they do not do the packaging themselves.&nbsp;<br></div><div><br></div><div>I see
    that the Debian package is abandoned for some time now, and I wanted to know if:<br></div><div><br></div><div>1) Would I need to use the procedure for submitting a new package, since this one has been stale for so long?<br></div><div><br></div><div>2)
    Would I need to build for all the architectures that Debian supports?<br></div><div><br></div><div>3) Also, wanted to confirm that I would just need to ensure a reproducible build with valid metadata for aptitude, then package and submit the results?<br><
    /div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, at 15:40, Marc Haber wrote:<br></div><blockquote type="cite" id="qt" style=""><div>Hi,<br></div><div><br></div><div>How would I quote backslashes in a manual page correctly?<br><
    /div><div><br></div><div>Currently I have the source:<br></div><div><br></div><div>with '"' around each argument, each '"'<br></div><div>in the string converted to '\\"' and each '\\' in the string<br></div><div>converted to '\\\\'.<br></div><div><br></
    <div>This renders to:<br></div><div><br></div><div>with '"' around each argument, each '"'<br></div><div>in the string converted to '\"' and each '\' in the string<br></div><div>converted to '\\'.<br></div><div><br></div><div>which looks reasonable
    enough.<br></div><div><br></div><div>However lintian doesn't like this and flags the construct with<br></div><div>"acute-accent-in-manual-page". Is this a bug in Lintian?<br></div><div><br></div><div>Greetings<br></div><div>Marc<br></div><div><br></div><
    --&nbsp;<br></div><div>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br></div><div>Marc Haber&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header<br></div><div>
    Leimen, Germany&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; |&nbsp; lose things."&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402<br></div><div>Nordisch by Nature |&nbsp; How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421<br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div></
    blockquote><div><br></div></body></html>
    --23e576f86fba4b3081b6633800167417--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew M.A. Cater@21:1/5 to Damien Calloway on Sun Nov 21 23:00:01 2021
    On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 03:51:56PM -0500, Damien Calloway wrote:
    Hello!

sudo apt install qtile

No longer works. In my research, it appears that the qtile project relies
    on packagers for each distribution - they do not do the packaging themselves.

I see that the Debian package is abandoned for some time now, and I wanted
    to know if:

Not just abandoned - actively removed: it was never part of a stable release and it looks as if it never made it from unstable to testing. The previous maintainer now appears to be concentrating on BSD.

1) Would I need to use the procedure for submitting a new package, since
    this one has been stale for so long?

Probably best: ask on this mailing list for help, maybe.

Yes: at least for those in stable and testing. For ports to specific architectures that are unofficial ports/builds - ask the maintainers of those architectures for help to get the package working.

3) Also, wanted to confirm that I would just need to ensure a reproducible build with valid metadata for aptitude, then package and submit the
    results?

Packages are submitted as source code: so built from source - binary
    uploads aren't acceptable. Again, here might be a good place to
    start / to ask for help.

Hope this helps,

With every good wish, as ever,

Andrew Cater

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021, at 15:40, Marc Haber wrote:
    Hi,

converted to '\\\\'.

This renders to:

converted to '\\'.

Greetings
    Marc

-- -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc Haber | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im Header Leimen, Germany | lose things." Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 6224 1600402 Nordisch by Nature | How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 6224 1600421

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robin Gustafsson@21:1/5 to damiencalloway@fastmail.com on Sun Nov 21 23:20:01 2021
    Hi Damien,

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 10:09 PM Damien Calloway
    <damiencalloway@fastmail.com> wrote:

Hello!

sudo apt install qtile

No longer works. In my research, it appears that the qtile project relies on packagers for each distribution - they do not do the packaging themselves.

I see that the Debian package is abandoned for some time now, and I wanted to know if:

1) Would I need to use the procedure for submitting a new package, since this one has been stale for so long?

Yes. That and possibly a bit more, actually. There's a section about
    it in the Debian Developer's Reference [1].

Yes.

To be perfectly clear though: you don't have to build the binary
    package on all the architectures yourself; you have to make such
    builds possible from your source package. Debian's build
    infrastructure will build all the binary packages from that.

3) Also, wanted to confirm that I would just need to ensure a reproducible build with valid metadata for aptitude, then package and submit the results?

You need a valid source package that conforms to Debian policy [2] and
    that someone is willing to sponsor [3]. There's a Q&A with more useful
    links on mentors.debian.net [4].

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.en.html#reintroducing-packages
    [2] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
    [3] https://mentors.debian.net/sponsors/
    [4] https://mentors.debian.net/qa/

Regards,
    Robin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wferi@niif.hu@21:1/5 to Marc Haber on Mon Nov 22 16:40:02 2021
    Marc Haber <mh+debian-mentors@zugschlus.de> writes:

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966803#14:
    if you want to *emit* a backslash, use \e.

converted to '\\\\'.

This renders to:

converted to '\\'.

Lintian is honorably losing against nroff here. I wouldn't dare to
    correct it either. However, if you want to use single quotes in your
    manual pages, note that ' as the first character of the line is active,
    which is bound to catch you when you least expect it. They are
    extremely quirky anyway, although Debian killed off at least some of
    that quirkyness on its own turf. I recommend \(oq\e\e\(cq to get two backslashes between (proper) single quotes. Sorry.
    --
    Regards,
    Feri

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Haber@21:1/5 to wferi@niif.hu on Mon Nov 22 21:40:02 2021
    On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 04:31:56PM +0100, wferi@niif.hu wrote:
    See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966803#14:
    if you want to *emit* a backslash, use \e.

Thank you very much!

Greetings
    Marc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05