• License violations for dependencies of Rust and Go programs?

From John Thorvald Wodder II@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 26 20:30:01 2023
    I am a concerned citizen who, while looking into prior art for handling dependency licenses in order to inform some of my own projects, stumbled upon what appear to be systemic license violations in the Debian repositories regarding dependencies of statically-linked compiled binary programs (primarily those written in Rust or Go). I would normally expect Debian to be rather strict about licensing, yet the packages I've looked at unambiguously violate what I understand the licenses require, so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

It is my understanding that when an executable program that depends (directly or indirectly) on libraries licensed under (picking one license here) the MIT license is compiled into a binary that statically links these libraries, and this binary is then distributed to third parties, the binary must be accompanied by the license text & copyright notices for all of the program's direct & indirect MIT-licensed dependencies. In particular, since applying the MIT license to a project typically involves placing a copyright line containing the author's name in the same file as the base license text, this copyright line must accompany all derivatives of the project, and so compiled, statically-linked executable programs must be accompanied by the copyright lines of all MIT-licensed dependencies.

Unfortunately, I've come across some software in the official Debian repositories that do not seem to properly honor these requirements.

EXAMPLE #1: The program hyperfine (https://github.com/sharkdp/hyperfine), written in Rust. Rust is a compiled language that usually statically-links binaries, and so the compiled binaries that Debian distributes contain code from all of hyperfine's dependencies.

- The webpage for the hyperfine v1.17.0 package in Debian Trixie is
    https://packages.debian.org/trixie/hyperfine. Clicking on "Copyright File"
    on the right side of the page leads to a debian/copyright file that declares
    that the source files and the Debian packaging files are both licensed under
    "MIT or Apache-2.0", and the copyright line listed for the source files
    credits only the author of hyperfine. (Note that most if not all of
    hyperfine's dependencies are written by other authors.) The file also
    contains the base text of the MIT license and a reference to where the text
    of the Apache 2.0 license can be found.

- Downloading & inspecting a binary .deb file for hyperfine (I picked amd64)
    shows that it contains the same "copyright" file and no other copyright
    information, though the Debian "control" file does contain an
    "X-Cargo-Built-Using" field listing the names & versions of the Debian Rust
    packages used to build the .deb. Note that these "built using" packages are
    only used at build time and are not listed as runtime dependencies, and so
    they are not installed when installing hyperfine from the Debian
    repositories. Furthermore, running `ldd` on the hyperfine binary only lists
    fundamental C libraries as being dynamically linked, supporting the
    conclusion that the Rust dependencies are statically linked into the binary.

- For a specific dependency of hyperfine's whose license I believe is being
    violated, consider the direct dependency "indicatif"
    (https://github.com/console-rs/indicatif). The "X-Cargo-Built-Using" field
    for the binary package I inspected above states that the hyperfine binary was
    built with indicatif v0.17.3, the source for which contains the LICENSE file
    https://github.com/console-rs/indicatif/blob/0.17.3/LICENSE, which consists
    of a copyright line and the text of the MIT license. This copyright line
    does not appear in the above-mentioned "copyright" file or anywhere in the
    .deb package.

EXAMPLE #2: The program gh (https://github.com/cli/cli), written in Go. Go is a compiled language that usually statically-links binaries, and so the compiled binaries that Debian distributes contain code from all of gh's dependencies.

- The webpage for the gh v2.27.0 package in Debian Trixie is
    https://packages.debian.org/trixie/gh. Clicking on "Copyright File" on the
    right side of the page leads to a debian/copyright file that declares that
    the source files and the Debian packaging files are both licensed under the
    Expat license (another name for the MIT license), and the copyright line
    listed for the source files credits only the author of gh. License
    information is also given for several third-party dependencies that are
    included in the Debian source package in order to handle some dependency
    versioning issues. No information is given on the dependencies not bundled
    in the source package (of which there are many).

- Downloading & inspecting a binary .deb file for gh (I picked amd64) shows
    that it contains the same "copyright" file and no other copyright
    information, though the Debian "control" file does contain a
    "Static-Built-Using" field listing the names & versions of the Debian Go
    packages used to build the .deb. Note that these "built using" packages are
    only used at build time and are not listed as runtime dependencies, and so
    they are not installed when installing gh from the Debian repositories.
    Furthermore, running `ldd` on the gh binary only lists fundamental C
    libraries as being dynamically linked, supporting the conclusion that the Go
    dependencies are statically linked into the binary.

- For a specific dependency of gh's whose license I believe is being violated,
    consider the direct dependency "heredoc"
    (https://github.com/MakeNowJust/heredoc). The "Static-Built-Using" field for
    the binary package I inspected above states that the gh binary was built with
    heredoc v1.0.0, the source for which contains the LICENSE file
    https://github.com/makenowjust/heredoc/blob/v1.0.0/LICENSE, which consists of
    a copyright line and the text of the MIT license. This copyright line does
    not appear in the above-mentioned "copyright" file or anywhere in the .deb
    package.

Other packages I looked at that had similar licensing issues:

- bat (In addition to the type of problem discussed above, the source code for
    bat has an Apache 2.0 `NOTICE` file, yet this is not included in the .deb
    package.)
    - dfrs
    - exa
    - reposurgeon
    - restic
    - ripgrep
    - tty-share

I suspect that this problem applies to all programs written in Go or Rust that Debian distributes. Is Debian handling dependency licenses for these packages incorrectly, or is there something I'm missing?

-- John Wodder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Stephan =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Verb=FCcheln@21:1/5 to Paul Wise on Wed Sep 27 07:30:02 2023
    On Wed, 2023-09-27 at 08:36 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
    This more general problem is very hard to impossible to solve,
    since it would mean patching every single build toolchain and
    source package [...]

Are the upstream developers not already legally required to include all
    this information into various places including their “Help-About” menu?

Regards
    Stephan

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

iIwEABYIADQWIQRB1rjSpCJd8a7h6mNgNUJZCjx8YgUCZRO8chYcdmVyYnVlY2hl bG5AcG9zdGVvLmRlAAoJEGA1QlkKPHxi9UkBAKUb31ihc+t2WQbZFHLMKZgkJ+oR NPKkMRyoTd7cx5TxAP9H5Bf+HSDx01nJY7BG+CUIYIa22fdNOQEkqU5uTzuZDg==
    =pKei
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Thorvald Wodder II@21:1/5 to Paul Wise on Wed Sep 27 16:50:01 2023
    On 2023 Sep 26, at 20:36, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
    Your analysis is correct, some extra context for this problem:

The problem you have identified applies to other statically linked
    languages too, so I have updated the wiki page to link to it.

https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking

So was this problem previously known but under-acknowledged, or was it simply not brought up before now? I find it surprising that Debian would allow so many license violations to get this far. Is fixing the tooling to handle this considered a priority? If the author of an uncredited dependency were to complain, would Debian be more likely to focus on fixing the tooling posthaste or to just pull whatever packages use the dependency in question?

-- John Wodder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Thorvald Wodder II@21:1/5 to Paul Wise on Wed Sep 27 17:10:01 2023
    On 2023 Sep 26, at 22:09, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

On Tue, 2023-09-26 at 14:20 -0400, John Thorvald Wodder II wrote:

- bat (In addition to the type of problem discussed above, the source code for
    bat has an Apache 2.0 `NOTICE` file, yet this is not included in the .deb >> package.)

Please file a severity serious bug report against bat about the NOTICE
    issue, I've mentioned it on the #debian-rust IRC channel though.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I note that lintian detects the NOTICE issue, so I have requested that
    the ftp-master team turn on auto-rejections for the lintian tag.

On further inspection, it turns out that bat itself compiles the text of its NOTICE file into the binary, and the text is displayed when running `batcat --acknowledgements`, so bat's Apache 2.0 license is being followed. If it's Debian policy to include
    the NOTICE file in the .deb anyway, let me know so I can file a more appropriate bug report.

-- John Wodder

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mihai Moldovan@21:1/5 to John Thorvald Wodder II on Wed Sep 27 17:40:01 2023
    This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156) --------------8BCby90S1IqARpRHYRRbIBv0
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

* On 9/27/23 16:41, John Thorvald Wodder II wrote:
    On 2023 Sep 26, at 20:36, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
    Your analysis is correct, some extra context for this problem:

The problem you have identified applies to other statically linked
    languages too, so I have updated the wiki page to link to it.

https://wiki.debian.org/StaticLinking

So was this problem previously known but under-acknowledged, or was it simply not brought up before now? I find it surprising that Debian would allow so many license violations to get this far.

The reason is likely a lot more mundane: it's terribly difficult to get license information right (and to comply with licensing terms verbatim) in such cases.

When just linking in a shared fashion, the work is split up into small, manageable packages, and every package that depends on another package needs not
    care about the other dependencies (as long as one knows that they are compatible).

Static linking is a beast.

Rather, I'd wager that it's important for maintainers to provide the software in
    question at all than to delve into such issues for extended periods of time.

The severity of the issue is also very debatable. If it were the case that non-free parts are mixed with free parts and statically linked, or incompatible licenses mixed through static linking, than that would be a much graver concern.

In this case, we're "just" talking about missing notices for dependencies that are pulled in, which might not be nice, but also, realistically, nobody would really care about or try to enforce it (unless somebody has malicious intent, which indeed did happen in the past).

Richard Laager wrote a beautiful statement on this list a few months ago, albeit
    regarding a different matter, which I want to quote:

Furthermore, courts are not robots blindly executing code. Seriously,
    can you imagine standing in court trying to argue to a judge that this distinction matters and somehow causes you damage‽

This also extends to Sam Hartman:

Sometimes the best approach to licensing is to take a defensible
    position and not to try and find problems.

Is fixing the tooling to handle this
    considered a priority? If the author of an uncredited dependency were to complain, would Debian be more likely to focus on fixing the tooling posthaste
    or to just pull whatever packages use the dependency in question?

If someone were to complain and the complain were to be rightful, the easiest way to handle the situation would be to remove the affected packages from the archives. Fixing it properly would take more time.

Truth be told, in my opinion, this whole thing is a bit blown out of proportion.
    The real-world implications are minimal, and while it does make sense to rectify
    the blunders that probably exist, it feels more like a trade-off between a very complicated situation that binds maintainer's time tightly (particularly because
    no automated solution exists and manual intervention for packages with hundreds of dependencies that are then statically linked is a time drain nightmare) for minimal benefits of having it gotten it done absolutely waterproof.

Which is not to say that slips shouldn't be eventually fixed - it does make sense to actually point them out and to start working on them.

Mihai

--------------8BCby90S1IqARpRHYRRbIBv0--

wsF5BAABCAAjFiEEbhHQj3UzgcdE8cg8H9Yu2W4lOocFAmUUSbYFAwAAAAAACgkQH9Yu2W4lOocl OxAAjrDPAvr5JPOBOiVnsH42XqxzGt/KTTW2B2juOu+NvzqLv7Ctg/7K/oicjgi2XwtC+Yqn7yzX AxaTVmL+dHZsVC/mZgVPhePrmLAr1sWOdfqH3MJMWSAdeGg40EsmoKE7UZ7pKtO8iToxXJn/D++u fOuTAEJNHTgGG/NU+RqChTvZQLy220hfXAwdXIPTQ4BvtmXwbfKm+SSK+VKi3L6s1wdwZm2o5Jmp lBvltZMPspUxETaJL8aHX5XqE+Y28qbeGVGu9pectAcuCoMZjcVNsRrm4YOqyf1OB/wAoODY5234 /xRfmn8NRzwh0qa3KuXGpROlpJd8t9Gmd3nPSeOwUqc6HPSD8/AjaVtk0tDXe8KJC0moeCaXEdMm 2h6QfxvkBNE9Y/eEjy+/QfOyyH8tBbR/wNB1V/B7MoIrr36H3m11BDS9QGyOKyxGMdnkz45Nl58v WAAniXPadXdXBZ28LyA3ehsTrHa5E4k/eBq4gJrcy4Xq2gj+F8Xwl0nJw3vi5atH6Kl8+AwpNQj4 mg2Ce5i36IB+8ZwKrQ5aRq+9eWhByvm8MXMj2H/8qkevIwRJTg4Ygf+KjRn1w3Nb59glfmWhQ15s b5JyUHT8gnSiKnPSlMwAlvLseu8WG8TZyhuxDZ0sUKNpp/PXQCHX8/D3UXMPXUKUkXFtzhHAMQ3u AJM=
    =rwnP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sam Hartman@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 27 21:20:01 2023
    "Mihai" == Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de> writes:

Mihai> In this case, we're "just" talking about missing notices for
    Mihai> dependencies that are pulled in, which might not be nice, but
    Mihai> also, realistically, nobody would really care about or try to
    Mihai> enforce it (unless somebody has malicious intent, which
    Mihai> indeed did happen in the past).

I agree with your overall conclusion that in practice we are unlikely to
    have significant legal liability or cause significant damages here.

However, I disagree on one point. You imply that you believe anyone complaining about a violation here would be malicious.

One of my former house mates was part of a BSD-licensed free software
    project related to a new technology.
    That project cared a lot about having their code acknowledged in
    supporting documentation, because they were trying to demonstrate wide
    adoption of their technology.
    It significantly impacted their ability to raise money and impacted
    their satisfaction with their work to be able to demonstrate all the
    wide variety of products that incorporated their technology.

I don't think they sued (or would consider doing that) when not
    credited, but it did do emotional and possibly economic harm to them
    when dependencies did not credit them.

If someone like that came to Debian and asked us to do a better job of crediting them, I would not consider that malicious at all.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mihai Moldovan@21:1/5 to Sam Hartman on Thu Sep 28 00:10:02 2023
    This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 4880 and 3156) --------------lXagi0hdcYa07n8K7cZR2LSo
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

* On 9/27/23 21:10, Sam Hartman wrote:
    "Mihai" == Mihai Moldovan <ionic@ionic.de> writes:

Mihai> In this case, we're "just" talking about missing notices for
    Mihai> dependencies that are pulled in, which might not be nice, but
    Mihai> also, realistically, nobody would really care about or try to
    Mihai> enforce it (unless somebody has malicious intent, which
    Mihai> indeed did happen in the past).

I agree with your overall conclusion that in practice we are unlikely to
    have significant legal liability or cause significant damages here.

However, I disagree on one point. You imply that you believe anyone complaining about a violation here would be malicious.

Let me apologize for this misunderstanding, this is not what I meant. What I really wanted to convey was that malicious intent, aiming at causing disruption or for personal gains, is a great concern for the Debian Project, while friendly
    hints at violations are usually quickly dealt with to the satisfaction of both sides via collective work.

Though very rare, and mostly related to patents and not licenses directly, there
    have been instances of what I would call malicious intent strictly for personal gain in the past, to which I was referring.

Mihai

--------------lXagi0hdcYa07n8K7cZR2LSo--

wsF5BAABCAAjFiEEbhHQj3UzgcdE8cg8H9Yu2W4lOocFAmUUpxkFAwAAAAAACgkQH9Yu2W4lOofm OQ//QHxiD3c1xrBArbn1natJDJORVvRwTlbl59k+yoJ3FKzwk51xyN1cTm8dnKsUHsY5+8zZ1D0l 3glaeZYJstxjg2JcOmAZdxR4Vyt5Fu5BEO1GeYlUeUFgbeWZMjws2PncUULeGd6Or4ONMgqJ1inB JS8JB+twB2IBPGNmhFg72LWw7dm4nG4p+w58KiFGfC5Wb7i7neuMYaHqKupjesb984wv4R53aJjN 4bliwqXp7TND29O07LyVXAxc3k5hUU8KdAlMzbRBcCnmWvKdmdaC+CKx1i0qGTOLA2xekiVQ69rO 4U/D6E0+n8HbGCIqaUv6XxhTRzJFuocQfi8yKXr7sssQx1u8DGeyPJntuXlgGcU9JqDgsB4QLATL 6Vz5S706BMrBTLE5VTz1lbd9WKap3mPrZlDuvKayItYw8EDPzy80oekMEPZpfSxN8hPryQioGUUt CduL7HrYM9csuueovmsjd3/Y2iZYcoMhN9D+2RykiYPY6ewkUtXBv7xhw2BvahP5F8aUISc/njJa s2MS+cTdcJ1ykUotkuOCgpVqgJid+n0tgYRCaxEQhEeqH1SebvjeUWFRWW1w+/VYyra4aPary0GL eB9Ccz9fV3VXE4Y3YpnXgs1BD2tz5zTkgCw+j8B6w+Bom8LLmHRh9SU60Z35O85+GvrEotiMgzhO n0c=
    =r6fn

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Florian Weimer@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 7 15:50:01 2023
    * John Thorvald Wodder, II:

It is my understanding that when an executable program that depends (directly or indirectly) on libraries licensed under (picking one license here) the MIT license is compiled into a binary that statically links these libraries, and this binary is then distributed to third parties, the binary must be accompanied by the license text & copyright notices for all of the program's direct & indirect MIT-licensed dependencies.

Based on my understanding of copyright law, this is correct.
    Nevertheless, there seems to be an emerging consensus throughout the
    industry that (for example) mentioning the “MIT” SPDX license
    identifier is sufficient to meet the notification requirement inherent
    to the MIT license.

Unfortunately, I've come across some software in the official Debian repositories that do not seem to properly honor these requirements.

This conclusion is incorrect for Debian, I would say. In Debian's
    case, notification requirements are primarily met by shipping full
    source code for the entire distribution. I'm aware of heroic efforts
    to maintain debian/copyright files, but as you point out, they are
    incomplete when viewed in isolation because they only reflect a
    source-only view.

Personally, I do not think this is an issue. Debian does not need to
    enable binary-only redistribution in cases where licenses may permit
    it (Of course, there are plenty of cases where binary-only
    distribution is not allowed by applicable licenses anyway.) I don't
    see how it furthers Debian's goals, and it only helps a tiny subset of
    Debian users.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05