• SWIFTStandards IPR Policy

From Mathias Behrle@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 4 13:00:01 2023
    Hi together,

I got https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1037077
    refering to
    https://www.iso20022.org/intellectual-property-rights
    and https://www.iso20022.org/sites/default/files/documents/D7/SWIFTStandards_LIC_OUT_V5_.pdf

I didn't find any reference to this license at https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses .

To be sure I wanted to gather feedback if the following statements make the license DFSG indeed incompatible:

2. License
    SWIFT hereby grants you a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use or promote SWIFTStandards (i) for information transmission purposes in or outside the context of SWIFT messaging services and/or (ii) to develop software, products or services which support transmission of information in accordance with SWIFTStandards.

3. Limitations
    You may not directly or indirectly sell SWIFTStandards. You may not modify SWIFTStandards while maintaining “SWIFTStandards” as a reference for the modified standard. This License Agreement does not grant you a license to use any of SWIFT’s trademarks, except the trademark “SWIFTStandards” for the use as
    defined in Section 2.

Thanks for your input!
    Mathias

--

Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6
    AC29 7E5C 46B9 D0B6 1C71 7681 D6D0 9BE4 8405 BBF6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Walter Landry@21:1/5 to Mathias Behrle on Tue Jul 4 19:10:01 2023
    Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> writes:
    2. License
    SWIFT hereby grants you a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use or promote SWIFTStandards (i) for information transmission purposes in or outside the context of SWIFT messaging services and/or (ii) to develop software, products or services which support transmission of information in accordance with SWIFTStandards.

This feels funny. It does not allow users to use SWIFTStandards to
    advocate against SWIFTStandards. As written, you can not even use it to improve the standard. Users also can not use it in unexpected ways,
    such as an art piece.

3. Limitations
    You may not directly or indirectly sell SWIFTStandards. You may not modify SWIFTStandards while maintaining “SWIFTStandards” as a reference for the modified standard. This License Agreement does not grant you a license to use any of SWIFT’s trademarks, except the trademark “SWIFTStandards” for the use as
    defined in Section 2.

I think this would preclude putting SWIFTStandards on a DVD and selling
    it. It is not directly selling SWIFTStandards, but it is indirectly
    selling it.

So I do not think it passes the DFSG. It would be suitable for
    non-free. IANADD. IANAL. YMMV.

Cheers,
    Walter Landry

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mathias Behrle@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 26 10:10:01 2023
    * Walter Landry: " Re: SWIFTStandards IPR Policy" (Tue, 04 Jul 2023 09:39:49
    -0700):

Hi Walter,

thanks for your feedback.

Mathias Behrle <mbehrle@debian.org> writes:
    2. License
    SWIFT hereby grants you a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to
    use or promote SWIFTStandards (i) for information transmission purposes in or outside the context of SWIFT messaging services and/or (ii) to develop software, products or services which support transmission of information in accordance with SWIFTStandards.

This feels funny. It does not allow users to use SWIFTStandards to
    advocate against SWIFTStandards. As written, you can not even use it to improve the standard. Users also can not use it in unexpected ways,
    such as an art piece.

3. Limitations
    You may not directly or indirectly sell SWIFTStandards. You may not modify SWIFTStandards while maintaining “SWIFTStandards” as a reference for the
    modified standard. This License Agreement does not grant you a license to use any of SWIFT’s trademarks, except the trademark “SWIFTStandards” for
    the use as defined in Section 2.

I think this would preclude putting SWIFTStandards on a DVD and selling
    it. It is not directly selling SWIFTStandards, but it is indirectly
    selling it.

So I do not think it passes the DFSG.

I agree.

It would be suitable for non-free. IANADD. IANAL. YMMV.

I am even not sure if the package qualifies for non-free because the files
    in question are currently distributed by Tryton upstream *without* resp.
    under a *wrong* license.

The feedback on the issue is unfortunately poor https://foss.heptapod.net/tryton/tryton/-/issues/12304#note_300126

I think I will move to a dfsg package excluding those files and disabling
    the tests (which is obviously a pity).

Cheers,
    Mathias

--

Mathias Behrle
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0xD6D09BE48405BBF6
    AC29 7E5C 46B9 D0B6 1C71 7681 D6D0 9BE4 8405 BBF6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05