• Using Debian as the base for a commercial product

From =?UTF-8?B?0JTQvNC40YLRgNC40Lkg0KDQs@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 09:40:02 2022
    Hello!

I want to build server for VMS system (video management system) with Debian installed on it.
    On top of debian will run commercial software that implements business
    logic. Can you please tell me if there are any legal restrictions on the
    use of Debian in such a product? Can the gnu gpl license be extended to our software in this case and can anyone demand the disclosure of the codebase?

<div dir="ltr">Hello!<div><br></div><div>I want to build server for VMS system (video management system) with Debian installed on it.</div><div>On top of debian will run commercial software that implements business logic. Can you please tell me if there
    are any legal restrictions on the use of Debian in such a product? Can the gnu gpl license be extended to our software in this case and can anyone demand the disclosure of the codebase?<br></div></div>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From J.B. Nicholson@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 03:00:01 2022
    Дмитрий Разваров wrote:
    On top of debian will run commercial software that implements business
    logic. Can you please tell me if there are any legal restrictions on the
    use of Debian in such a product?

Debian can be redistributed for a fee (which is what I take you mean by "commercial
    software") and it's up to you to comply with the license for each program you distribute.

Debian GNU/Linux main repository software is (as far as I know) all free software and
    presents no issue to you distributing copies for a fee (commercial redistribution).
    You probably want to make sure that nothing you say or distribute conveys the idea
    that Debian endorses your project and that you provide support for your project's
    distribution (which is what your users are really paying for). Your users are free to
    ask Debian users for help whether or not they buy your distribution.

Can the gnu gpl license be extended to our software in this case and can anyone
    demand the disclosure of the codebase?
    I don't know what you mean by "extend" the GNU GPL but every version of the GNU GPL
    already allows for distributing copies of covered software for a fee so long as you
    comply with the license. So it's not clear to me that you need to alter the GNU GPL
    in any way to accomplish your goal of distributing a ready-to-use system built from
    Debian main + other free software.

Recipients of the GPL-covered can request complete corresponding source code and
    build instructions per their right under the GNU GPL. You can satisfy your obligation
    under the GNU GPL by distributing complete corresponding source code and build instructions when you distribute the executable binaries instead of a written offer.
    See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatDoesWrittenOfferValid for more on
    this written offer.

That way you've done your part and anyone who distributes the GNU GPL-covered software further can satisfy requests for complete corresponding source code and
    build instructions straight away or they can come up with their own written promise
    to satisfy later.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)